New helmet input. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Apr 25th, 2011, 6:11 am Thread Starter

New helmet input.

I purchased an HJC full face 2 years ago based upon input from the knowledgable salesman. It has been OK up to 40 minutes into a ride. After that the front upper padding tends to impress into my bald dome causing tremendous discomfort to the point that I become too distracted to ride.
Any one care to weigh in with their opinion. I currently have no preferences to brand, budget, as always will be a factor.
Any where I can see the interior of various helmets online?
Thanks for all of your assistance in advance.

Blake

2004 K1200LT Titan Silver
1969 GTO ragtop, supercharged LS drivetrain.
2003 MB C230 coupe, supercharged commuter car.

The best advice I have ever been given: "Never pet a burning dog."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Apr 25th, 2011, 6:18 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: New helmet input.

The SO & I both have Nolan N102 & love them. My head is more oval shaped then round & the N102 fits very good. I have rode 1000 mile days and over 16 hours. I looked at the Nolan N90 the other day but it was too round for me.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 33 Old Apr 25th, 2011, 6:31 am

Try to locate the points (hot spots) where it hurts and possible reduce some of the padding. I did that with my helmet around the ears and that made all the difference. Just a little too much pressure in the wrong place, over time, can be quite uncomfortable.

Just my opinion, reducing a little foam or padding will not effect the safety of the helmet in a significant way.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

post #4 of 33 Old Apr 25th, 2011, 7:23 am

Find a dealer that will work you, my dealer ordered every helmet in my size, Tried them on and made a choice, not sure what he did with the rest, may have sent them back.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 33 Old Apr 25th, 2011, 8:48 am

My bride and I both have Scorpion helmets with the retractable shield and love em. (can't remember the model)I bought mine on line and it is too big, needs a little extra padding, but very comfortable. We bought hers at the dealer and tried on the different sizes till we found the one that was comfortable. I would not buy one on line again (boots neither). You really need to fit them.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #6 of 33 Old Apr 25th, 2011, 8:59 am

I have the Shark Evoline. It's a full modular with the ability to go from full face to open face without having to remove anything. Super comfortable with a built in sun visor (no more sunglasses required).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shark 1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	31176   Click image for larger version

Name:	shark 2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	31177  

Current rides

2005 BMW K1200LT

Past rides

1982 Honda Goldwing Interstate
1984 Honda V65 Magna
1980 Kawasaki ZR1000
1982 Suzuki GS650E
1980 Suzuki GS425E
1980 Kawasaki KH100
post #7 of 33 Old Apr 25th, 2011, 9:09 am

we can make recommendations all day long, but the ONLY way to get a good fit is to...try some on

If you have an oval head shape, you might want to try the new bell "revolver" modular--I picked one up to replace the Bell Star that I, uh, customized in a lowside a few weeks ago. All of the features of the super-high end modulars, drop-down internal sunshade, etc, and was only $209 (yes, $209).

A great source for info on internal shape, with pictures and objective reviews is www.webbikeworld.com, another is www.helmetharbor.com, both have excellent reviews, pictures and many VIDEOS.

Again, the ONLY way to get a reliable, smart fit is to try one on, walk around in the shop for ten-fifteen minutes (yeah, you'll feel silly, but a lot LESS silly than spending a few hundred dollars and getting a helmet that you later can't wear), and making sure it doesn't have pinch spots.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #8 of 33 Old Apr 25th, 2011, 9:10 am

The SO and I both wear Scorpion EXO400 full face helmets. We have worn them for a couple seasons and find them very comfortable. I don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but I read an online article about helmets and discovered some helmet makers use one size shell and the liner and padding determine weather the helmet is small or x-large. The Scorpion EXO models use different size shells for different sized helmets. Also the Scorpions come with a fog proof shield that REALLY is fog proof, don't know what they do to them, but it sure works. This is just my opinion, I have no affiliation with Scorpion nor any other helmet manufacturer.

2000 K1200LTI
post #9 of 33 Old Apr 25th, 2011, 9:37 am

I wear glasses full time and find the flip up modular helmets the best for me. I also have a large oval head. I use the HJC below and it fits perfect. However mine does not have the bluetooth this one has. In the past if I found a helmet that has a tight spot, I take a ball peen hammer and press and roll the spot down a bit.

Good luck!

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ar-Helmet.aspx
post #10 of 33 Old Apr 25th, 2011, 5:06 pm

I had an "inexpensive" flip front helmet for a couple of years, same problem as you described, it would start to press in the front of my skull and eventually start to burn. My wife also had problems because the helmet set so low on her head, it was difficult for her to turn her head with her leather jacket on while seated on the back of the bike. When I sold the GL1800 I included the helmets because of the intercom, and because we really werent happy with them. I got such a great deal on the LT, I took my wife to the MC shop and we tried on helmets. She loved the Nolan N102, and I liked it too. We have been riding for a couple of years with the nolans, and they have proved to be very comfortable for us. I have not had any of the problems with discomfort while wearing for long periods of time. I would recommend you give them a try.

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 33 Old Apr 25th, 2011, 6:01 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I have been looking at the Nolans for awhile now. The flip front seems like a good idea. I will attempt to "customize" the HJC as described. I have an ancient Bell that fits great but is a drag race SA certified helmet not M certified. I have seen the result first hand of the wrong helmet used in the wrong place. The wife gave the go ahead for a proper fitting brain bucket so off I go into the nether world.

Blake

post #12 of 33 Old Apr 25th, 2011, 6:17 pm

I tried quite a few on before I found one that fit my head.

When brand new it was a little tight, but gradually conformed to my head.

It's now around 8 years later--time to look for a new one for this summer's riding.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #13 of 33 Old Apr 25th, 2011, 6:42 pm

If one of you fellers wanna great deal on a great helmet, I've got one over in the classified forum right here. It's a size small, which most of you folks prolly don't have as a head size!! Been jockeying around with the price, so I'll handle UPS shipping to the lower 48 for one more 'adjustment' to $200 and I'll leave the headset intact, along with the other parts listed. Remember now - this is a size small. You oughta try one on in that size, locally, if you can. HJC Symax II.
post #14 of 33 Old Apr 25th, 2011, 6:54 pm

For riding two-up, my better half and I are very pleased with our N43 Trilogy N-Com configured helmets. Can work with our Bluetooth iPhone, iPod, integrates with our VOICE II, etc.

P.S. I see you must own a '68 Pontiac GTO - I had one of those, too.

Warner
2014 BMW K1600GTL Exclusive (on order)
2009 BMW K1200LT "The Journey"
1996 Honda GL1500 "Red Wing" (sold)
1995 Honda Shadow VT600C VLX (sold)
1980 Piaggio Vespa Si Moped (sold)

Last edited by Aequitas; Apr 25th, 2011 at 6:57 pm. Reason: Want to add a note
post #15 of 33 Old Apr 26th, 2011, 6:00 am Thread Starter

The current GTO is a 69, but I had a 68 ragtop a few years ago as well. This one has a late model LSX series engine with a Magnacharger and a 4L60E trans. I live in the Hot-Rod world as my day job.

Blake

post #16 of 33 Old Apr 26th, 2011, 11:47 am

We have HJC SyMax II's. My melon is pretty much melon shaped and the helmet fits well. Love the modular aspect (glasses) and the drop down sunglass thingey.

I had a tire mounted at a shop and the guy cut me a deal on the helmet. A very good deal. Went back 2 months later and bought the matching helmet for the same price I got mine for. Funny, they are out of business now.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #17 of 33 Old Apr 26th, 2011, 12:03 pm

We have the Nolon 102s and really like them, though that Shark is really cool and may be my next one. Best advise is to go to a Motorcylce superstore and try them all on. That's what we did.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #18 of 33 Old Apr 26th, 2011, 12:11 pm

A lot of good comments for an item that is a very personal fit. We've, trusty sidekick and I, have worn a number of different brands (Bell, HJC, Shoei and Nolan). The absolute most important thing is to make sure it fits and will be conmfortable as you have noticed. We have Nolan N103s that we ordered through Sierra Electronics. I didn't want to install the headsets again. We tried them on in the store but neglected to secure the face portion when we tried them on. When we got them and did that they were way too tight. Sierra took them back and gave us the next size which is also the largest that Nolan makes the 2X. Super customer service! These fit better but I still had to recess the headsets more for comfort. The Nolan 103 is by far the noisiest flip front/full face helmet I have ever worn. Ventilation is not bad. The liner comes out totally for cleaning but the left snap pin to secure the cheek piece keeps popping out. The integrated sun shade is great. Bottom line is keep trying them until you get one that does what you want and fits properly. It should be snug as it will loosen over time. I replace mine every three years because it wears out. The spouse's lasts twice as long. Manufacturers recommend 3-5 year replacement cycles. Yes they want to sell more helmets, but helmet design and materials and composition improve all the time making a good deal to swap out periodically. If it gets dropped inspect the shell for cracks and or spiderwebs. If it has these replace it because the shell will fail.

Buffalo Bob

Bob Lake
MSF RiderCoach/GWRRA MI

post #19 of 33 Old Apr 26th, 2011, 12:38 pm

I'll second the Nolan 103 as being noisy. I had the 102 and really liked it except that the finish started to peal off. The company traded it +$100 for a new 103 and I was really disappointed. The 102 was quite a bit quieter.

I've got a Scorpion flip and it's as noisy as the Nolan 103. Fits well and has some nice features, but noisy. Looking forward to trying the new Schuberth.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #20 of 33 Old Apr 26th, 2011, 1:13 pm

Don't be afraid to do a bit of carving everyones head is a little different, unless you get lucky and find one that fit's well you'll have to do a bit of adjustment. I have the 103 and it required some dremel love to adjust it so it fits like a glove. And just for the record the Nolan 103 is a noisy beast looking forward to trying something different just not sure what.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #21 of 33 Old Apr 26th, 2011, 2:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kra961
Don't be afraid to do a bit of carving everyones head is a little different, unless you get lucky and find one that fit's well you'll have to do a bit of adjustment. I have the 103 and it required some dremel love to adjust it so it fits like a glove. And just for the record the Nolan 103 is a noisy beast looking forward to trying something different just not sure what.
Interesting how when I told the Nolan people at Bike week, in Daytona this year about my liking the 102 and not the 103 because of the noise, they made me feel like I was the only one to complain of the noise!

They actually said that in tests that the 103 was quieter. Wish there was such a thing as a portable truth meter that really worked..... I was in sales my entire career and I really hate when sales people lie.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #22 of 33 Old Apr 26th, 2011, 2:56 pm

I have A Nolan 102 ...and have the same issue you have with the Burn spot on the Forehead.....I first tried to wash the liner to fluff it up ...I then shaved some of the foam off the helmet itself....(if you try this only do a little at a time) ....then I tried a new liner.... and I still have that same issue...

I did not have any issues for almost 2 years of owning this helmet...I think my head grew or something....but now i do....

I primarily Ride to and from Work which is about 45 minutes and i do not have issues during that time....

I know i have to purchase a new helmet as well...I am saving up for a Blue Tooth not sure yet which model yet but i am glad to know the HJC has the same issues....they were on the list of helmets to look at

Good luck with your future purchase and please post back here what you got and if it helps....I will be waiting for results

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #23 of 33 Old Apr 26th, 2011, 2:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Interesting how when I told the Nolan people at Bike week, in Daytona this year about my liking the 102 and not the 103 because of the noise, they made me feel like I was the only one to complain of the noise!

They actually said that in tests that the 103 was quieter. Wish there was such a thing as a portable truth meter that really worked..... I was in sales my entire career and I really hate when sales people lie.
Interesting observation. The 103 was supposed to be quieter because the external sun shield was now internal. However, I had to the next size higher so maybe the extra surface area because of the bigger helmet makes more noise?? In any event a good windshield cuts the noise dramatically.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #24 of 33 Old Apr 26th, 2011, 3:19 pm

When I bought my LT 3 years ago the previous owner gave me a new Nolan N102 blue helmet. As I already had a silver hjc open face helmet, I liked the open face better. I tried wearing the Nolan, and liked the look but I just couldn't get used to it. It says it is a medium however it fits like a small. I think I will sell it and keep my HJC. What would be a fair price for this lid??.
Jim

1953 Ariel 350
1970 Norton Commando
1975 Honda Excel 250
1977 Kawasaki Z1000 LT
1985 Honda V65 Magna
1989 Yamaha Venture Royalle
2006 BMW K1200 LT
post #25 of 33 Old Apr 26th, 2011, 3:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
Interesting observation. The 103 was supposed to be quieter because the external sun shield was now internal. However, I had to the next size higher so maybe the extra surface area because of the bigger helmet makes more noise?? In any event a good windshield cuts the noise dramatically.
You are correct about the windshield. With it up all the way, the noise disappeared with both and most likely will with most helmets. It is when I look just over the top, which I prefer, the noise is obvious. I'm looking forward to trying the Schuberth as they advertise it the quietest flip helmet available.

For $1,200 with bluetooth, it should come with a back massage and drinks.....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #26 of 33 Old Apr 26th, 2011, 3:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have yet to find a truly quiet helmet. I now ride with the windscreen fully up when over 50mph. I'll take the reduced gas milage over wind noise. I'm much more at peace with the ride and don't have a problem looking through the undistorted V-Stream shield.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #27 of 33 Old Apr 26th, 2011, 11:17 pm

Dano, I just rode coast to coast in 4 days with the Schuberth. I paid $1000 with the electronics. I can truly say that i'm satisified. the electronics are first class. i listened to pandoa radio almost all day, ever day. the phone operates great. it is a very quiet, and the weight is very light. "that what i was impressed with. My neck does not hurt after 4 straight days. I did have a hot spot on my forhead, but not bad. overall, I'm ok with the 2 grand spent "2 heads"
post #28 of 33 Old Apr 27th, 2011, 6:03 am Thread Starter

I tried a Nolan N43 modular last evening. The shop only had a large in stock. Fit just a tad loose. Did not seem to cause the pressure points on my forehead. I can't seem to find a shop in my area with any real selection of Nolan. I also tried that Shark, HJC flip up and another off brand. I am becoming a bit disappointed. I am going to try a bit more surgery on my HJC. We will see how that works out.

Blake

post #29 of 33 Old May 5th, 2011, 7:22 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnifong
Dano, I just rode coast to coast in 4 days with the Schuberth. I paid $1000 with the electronics. I can truly say that i'm satisified. the electronics are first class. i listened to pandoa radio almost all day, ever day. the phone operates great. it is a very quiet, and the weight is very light. "that what i was impressed with. My neck does not hurt after 4 straight days. I did have a hot spot on my forhead, but not bad. overall, I'm ok with the 2 grand spent "2 heads"
I thought I commented on this thread but can't find it. Saturday 30th I went to a grand opening BMW of Countryside and was greeted by a whole display of C3. All sizes and all colours did not see the yellow (well did not check every box). The silver one my size XL was open so I gave it a try. Other than fit, features and colour I can't really comment on how it would perform in a ride test. So I am going with your experience. Yes I liked it.
Problem I got my bike last year and could not find that lid in the US. I had researched it and still own the original schuberth with the styrofoam inside so it would have been perfect for me to buy one. I had to do the next best thing Shoei Multitec, J&M head set and BMW lower cord = $850.
Now that the Schuberth is here and to my liking I can only hope for a trade or invest another grand and have 2 helmets. My vote is the Shoei right now.
ride safe
post #30 of 33 Old May 6th, 2011, 12:13 am

ARAI makes their shells specifically for different shaped heads. Recommend you try their various models. My wife couldn't stand my helmet, but tried a different model and she is very happy with hers. Which, of course, makes my life so much better!!!
post #31 of 33 Old May 6th, 2011, 12:25 pm

You know there's a section just for gear, right?

Anyway here's my review of the Schuberth C3, which if it fits your head, is IMO the ultimate helmet:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60523

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #32 of 33 Old May 7th, 2011, 5:30 am Thread Starter

I took the liberty of remodeling the inside of the foam at the front. It seems to have done the trick. Went for a 2 hour ride, not a bit of discomfort.
I have yet to find a shop in the area that actually keeps any high end inventory. I will keep looking. At this point I think I favor the Scorpion EXO900(?) flip front.

Blake

post #33 of 33 Old May 9th, 2011, 10:10 am

Quote:
I have yet to find a shop in the area that actually keeps any high end inventory.
Scottsdale BMW has the Schuberth in stock, and Victory should also by now. They had said they would have them weeks ago, but I haven't been in there since. Cycle Gear has the full line of Shoei and Arai. Helmet Harbor stocks a few select high-end options.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in