Gerbings Rant - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Apr 10th, 2011, 10:19 pm Thread Starter

Gerbings Rant

So I purchased a Gerbings Jacket, and controller. Works great, and it's the older style jacket before the microwire type came out. Needed another one (for wife) so I purchased another jacket and controller. A short time later, the jacket stopped working, turns out it was the controller. It had failed, so I returned it to the dealer, expecting a quick swap, but no, they had to send it off to Gerbnings and about a month later, I got it (actually a new one) back. Not sure why I had to wait a month since the dealer had controllers in stock.
A bit later, the jacket fails again. But since I have two jackets and controllers I start playing around, and in fact the controller had failed again. On the same jacket. So again I return to the dealer, tell them my story and this time drop off the controller and the jacket. My thought being the jacket is somehow blowing the controllers up.
It was hooked up properly, and when it was working, worked well.
Well here we are almost a month later and I stop by the dealer to see if there is any word. It seems Gerbings has no idea whats wrong, so I've now gone almost 2 months with parts sent off for repair.
This seems very stupid to me, here's what I expect, REPLACE THE JACKET AND CONTROLLER! Is it that difficult? I am losing faith in Gerbings and their "process".What good is lifetime warranty if it takes a lifetime to get the jacket back?
Might have to Ebay the jacket if I ever get it back and try another brand, maybe I'll have better luck. And that's my rant!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 F800GS
2009 K1200LT
2009 Honda 1300P (old work bike, traded for stripes)
2007 Yamaha FJR (traded for 1200)
2006 Suzuki GSXR 1000 (traded, luckily)
2005 Yamaha FZ1 (traded, stupidly)
2005 Suzuki GS500SF (gotta start somewhere)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Apr 10th, 2011, 11:37 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: Gerbing's Rant

I prefer the Warm & Safe gear. Been using it over ~250K miles with great success.

Their HeatTroller is vastly superior to the Gerbing's unit, and it's made here in the USofA (not China like Gerbing's stuff). It was recently moved to its fourth bike and is still going strong.

I did have a jacket fail on me once while I was on a long road trip. I bought a Gerbing's jacket to replace it (only thing the dealer had) and while it did keep me warm, it simply wasn't as comfortable to wear as the Warm & Safe jacket. In particular, the neck didn't fit as well, and it seemed to have definite hot spots rather than the all-over heat that I was used to.

When I spoke to the owner of Warm & Safe (yes, the actual owner, not some receptionist) he simply apologized and handed me a replacement jacket. Can't beat that at all.

I still have a set of Gerbing's pants liners (Warm & Safe didn't make pants liners when I bought them), but those are going away. They have a hot spot on my left hip that has burned me twice now, once bad enough that I had to go to Urgent Care. No, thanks.

I'm looking forward to trying the Warm & Safe pants liners. If they're anything like their jackets, I'm sure I'll be quite pleased.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 8 Old Apr 11th, 2011, 9:08 am

Re: Gerbings Rant

The wife and I have complete 4-piece Gerbings liners and love them. Never had an issue. But I bought the Warm & Safe controllers. That just may be the difference in our experiences.

- Joe

post #4 of 8 Old Apr 11th, 2011, 5:13 pm

You are right. To have a Gerbings set in good working order you need 2 sets. I hope I won't need to go to 3 sets.

It's a shame 'cause they're very comfy.
post #5 of 8 Old Apr 11th, 2011, 5:38 pm

FWIW, I've been using a Gerbing's jacket liner for a few years. It failed a few months ago (only produced heat on one side). Sent it back, they fixed it (no cost). Now both sides heat, as they should (and used to).

I recently bought their new "Microwire" jacket liner. It's noticeably more effective (defined as no hot/cold spots).

No experiece with the other products, but if Ken has put them through 250k miles that's good enough for me!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #6 of 8 Old Apr 11th, 2011, 8:48 pm

VERY poor customer service IMO. If a item doesn't work, replace it, then the dealer sends it back to the factory. That's what I do. I'd never make a customer wait as long as you had to.

Warm & Safe has been great standing by their products and keeping their dealers & customers happy. Your dealer is at fault.

Warm & Safe Heated Clothing Sale- Lowest Prices!!

Contact Me.

post #7 of 8 Old Apr 11th, 2011, 8:58 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
. . . if Ken has put them through 250k miles that's good enough for me!
Well, not all 250K miles were in sub-freezing, liners-on-full conditions but I've done dozens of overnight rides with the heat set on Comfortable, such that the heated gear lives on the bike at all times. And I've done enough sub-freezing rides to know that good, reliable heated gear is worth whatever they're asking for it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 8 Old Apr 30th, 2011, 11:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
FWIW, I've been using a Gerbing's jacket liner for a few years. It failed a few months ago (only produced heat on one side). Sent it back, they fixed it (no cost). Now both sides heat, as they should (and used to).

I recently bought their new "Microwire" jacket liner. It's noticeably more effective (defined as no hot/cold spots).

No experiece with the other products, but if Ken has put them through 250k miles that's good enough for me!
no heated liner designed right will give you hotspots or cold spots or shock you. it is not about the way it makes heat it is about how the wire or carbon or whatever is designed and installed. bad soldering, cheap connectors, all sorts of things would cause this problem. over cranking the power so you get the liner too hot will do it.

you need to get rid of this kind of nonsense and move on to the designs of 2011.

if you want more of my comments about commercials rather than facts for to our home page, www.warmnsafe.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in