Bought a Schuberth C3 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 Old Mar 31st, 2011, 6:21 am Thread Starter

Bought a Schuberth C3

Well, I'm amazed. I am sure I tried on more than 20 helmets, likely 30, in all my shopping the last couple months. Absolutely nothing had the feel and construction of the C3, at any price.

Ventilation is amazing, I can feel my hair blowing around inside the helmet at anything over 30 MPH. (There are channels cut out all over the inside, so even with a proper fit, there are places where your hair is loose.) At a brisk walking speed you can already feel air coming into the helmet, or sitting at a light with a breeze blowing. The visor has a highway mode where it seals tightly, a city mode where it's open just a very tiny bit (less than most other "vent" positions), and a vent position where you have a 1/2" opening.

The noise level is equally excellent. Wind noise is very light at all speeds (well, only tested to about 80). Outside noise is extremely reduced, to where I feel almost like I'm wearing ear plugs. I can't hear the engine at most speeds, or it's just a whirr. I don't think ear plugs will ever be necessary with this lid. I saw a review that gave it a rating of 84db in open air at highway speed, and it's even less with the big windscreen on the LT (below eye level, but pushing a lot of wind up and over).

The interior cloth is ultra-soft and buttery. The tinted shield is much larger than most other helmets, so there are no open areas where sunlight comes through. It includes an already-installed Pinlock anti-fog shield, and it's optically perfect. The strap is the Euro style ratchet type, which although not as nice as a buckle, is obviously far better than the D-rings you get on cheap helmets.

The chinbar mechanism is smooth and easy to use. I thought the Shoei Multitec had a great chinbar system, but this is even better. Easy to open or close with one hand, and since the release is in the center you can use either hand. There is a dual chin seal on the flip-up bar, one permanent skirt and another that is adjustable and removable. This will assure a tight seal and most of your neck being covered no matter what size neck you have.

I've only put about 40 mile on it so far, around town and on the freeway, but I'm thoroughly impressed and would recommend to anyone without reservation (assuming it fits your head shape).

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old Mar 31st, 2011, 7:54 am

Re: Bought a Schuberth C3

Thanks for the review. I'm planning to get one as soon as I can try one on for fit and you helped to justify my decision. I was hesitating because of the price, but if the fit is right, it sounds like a good investment.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #3 of 59 Old Mar 31st, 2011, 10:57 am

Garage

Here is my situation. New Lt last year and wanted to go with the Schuberth right off the bat. I already owned the original made in W - Germany . . . black, blaze orange on either side two handed release from 20 years plus. So I did not need convincing. But nobody had it was told by several dealers that because of the dot specs. and frivolous law suits it was no longer brought into the American market. I even read several on line reviews where the only way to get it was through Canada or Europe.

I had considered having a military friend stationed in Germany pick one up and handle the transaction that way oh oh brick wall no way to try it for correct fit.

I ended up going to 3 different shops and doing the 20 something fitting process with the Shoei multitec, bought and installed J&M headset and cord so after 7 C-notes I don't even want to think about the C-3. I will be doing a burn when just last year I could have gotten it for 500 plus the shipping and having to deal with customs.

I had Shoei before with my Goldwing but open face and nothing like the multitec no burn here I'm happy
ride safe

post #4 of 59 Old Mar 31st, 2011, 1:28 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I put 2,500 miles on a C3 in the first 3 days I had it.

It does everything they say. It is noticeably lighter than my C2, and significantly quieter.

I also got the SRC Bluetooth collar, which works just as advertised. It synched with my iPhone in minutes and without hassle. I got 12 hours out of it playing music the whole time and with the occasional phone call.

I haven't tried to synch it to a GPS or another helmet, but I have no worries about that.

The pinlock also works well. I could see fog all around the edges of the shield one chilly morning, but the main area of the screen stayed clear.

My only real complaint is that when you plug it in to charge, it goes into standby mode. 12+ hours is fine for most "normal" rides, but not sufficient for my IronButt adventures.

Also, since the chin bar padding fits quite well, you have to watch where the boom mic ends up every time you close the helmet. That's a minor annoyance with boom mics, but isn't specific to the Schuberth.

I was able to go to a "local" shop, JC Motors, in Irvine, CA and try on several sizes. I ended up one size larger than my C2, but with a perfect fit. To me, that was worth a ride-in to the shop.

Yes, this stuff is quite pricey, but it just plain works.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 59 Old Mar 31st, 2011, 6:04 pm

I guess I'll be a lone dissenter here. I went to my local BMW dealer ready to love this helmet and buy one. Currently wearing a Shoei Multitec (medium). Well the large was bit too big where I could move the helmet around on my head. The medium was snug but I could not close the chin bar unless I pulled the skirt away with one hand and closed with the other. A royal PITA. With the chin bard closed, the chin skirt pressed up against the bottom of my chin. I took the helmet on and off several times and left it on for several minutes. Uncomfortable as hell. I thanked the parts guy for saving me $700 dollars. Guess I'll stay happy with the Multitec.

"Not all who wander are lost"

2014 R1200GS Adv
2018 Vespa 300

Last edited by Travman; Mar 31st, 2011 at 7:48 pm.
post #6 of 59 Old Mar 31st, 2011, 6:37 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

If a helmet doesn't fit your head correctly, then none of the other features matter.

I removed the "extra" chin skirt which helps, but the general shape fit me so that worked out. I did have to go up a size though from my C2.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 59 Old Apr 1st, 2011, 1:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Also, since the chin bar padding fits quite well, you have to watch where the boom mic ends up every time you close the helmet. That's a minor annoyance with boom mics, but isn't specific to the Schuberth.
I put a Sena in mine, and arranged the mic so it's higher and doesn't foul up in the chinbar.

Quote:
If a helmet doesn't fit your head correctly, then none of the other features matter.
Indeed.

As far as the chin skirt, it should be noted that there are two of them. One is affixed to the helmet permanently, the other is attached with Velcro. It can be removed or adjusted. I removed it and will only use it for cold weather, if at all. Having that one in the stock position did make it very hard to close the chinbar.

I read the documentation yesterday. Turns out it has a five year warranty, an offer to replace it for 1/3 cost if you ever crash it, and a three year service where they inspect it and replace stuff for you. Nice touch.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #8 of 59 Old Apr 1st, 2011, 11:20 pm

Love mine:

...anyone use Pledge on their visor and windscreen??

God Bless America,
pipestone

Dana

God Bless America
2011RT~"Favor" of God
post #9 of 59 Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 6:28 am

I have always used Pledge on my faceshields and carry a small can and a microfiber cloth in my tankbag. I only use it on the outside of the faceshield. I've also used Sprayaway Glass Cleaner on them. Sprayaway doesn't contain and amonia of harmful chemicals but again, with the C3, might not be recommended.

However, reading the manual for the C3, that may have to change. I'm going to email Schuberth and get some wisdom from them. I may have to change how I clean my faceshield.

I have time. I'm still using my MultiTech until I get the J&M headset installed in the C3. It goes to them Monday.

I'll post what I hear from the here.

Steve Aikens
2007 R1200RT
2015 R1200RTW
IBA# 442
post #10 of 59 Old Apr 27th, 2011, 8:19 am Thread Starter

Quote:
...anyone use Pledge on their visor and windscreen??
I use Honda Polish on the screen and the OUTSIDE of the visor. I guess with the Pinlock, I could use it on the inside with this helmet. You just don't want to use it on a surface with anti-fog coating, like the older Schuberths. I still haven't had to clean the inside of my C3 even after a couple thousand miles, I'm very careful about caring for it.

Quote:
I'll post what I hear from the here.
That would be useful.

Oh, and after a couple thousand more miles with this helmet, I'm still solidly in love with it.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #11 of 59 Old Apr 27th, 2011, 3:58 pm

Have you seen the results for the SHARP tests on the Schuberth C3?

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/schuberth-c3

Not as good as I thought it would be. Worse than the Nolan and Shoei in the impact tests.
post #12 of 59 Old Apr 29th, 2011, 11:50 am Thread Starter

I'm not convinced those tests are particularly meaningful or important. Just another data point, not something to take as gospel.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #13 of 59 Old Apr 29th, 2011, 3:59 pm

I also bought a C3 with the SRC-System. I am very pleased with the fit and quality if the helmet. However, after spending a week following directions to connect to my ZUMO 550, I called Schuberth and was told that Garmin is working on fixing some "bugs" in the software and should be available in a few weeks.
I call Garmin and was told in an email:
"the Zumo 550 is compatible with XM and it can receive XM radio as well as XM traffic.
However, you will not be able to hear this via Bluetooth. You can hear it using the mount in your vehicle or if you connect to a stereo system on your bike. The only unit we have that can allow you to hear the XM through Bluetooth is the Zumo 665."
I wish I had known that before purchase. I advise checking with J&M. Anybody know of a solution?
post #14 of 59 Old Apr 30th, 2011, 8:23 pm

Are you getting directions via bluetooth? Or are you just concerned with XM? I am considering the C3 but I only want nav voice via bluetooth.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #15 of 59 Old Apr 30th, 2011, 10:57 pm

Garage

What a difference a month makes.
30 days ago in post #3 I wanted nothing to do with the C3 today I got that opportunity so many talk about went to a new dealer (new thread). Well I tried it on walked around the floor about 5 minutes took it off and slipped it back on a second time looked in the mirror and used the inside shade a couples of times looking into the evening sunlight. Conclusion I wish it was available before my multitec or if I could sell the Shoei I would definitely pop for one of these. I could only imagine what it feels like when actually riding. All rumors about no longer imported now seems a bust.
ride safe
post #16 of 59 Old May 1st, 2011, 10:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
Are you getting directions via bluetooth? Or are you just concerned with XM? I am considering the C3 but I only want nav voice via bluetooth.
Good question, I am interested as well. Also would like to know how well you like the system for rider/passenger communication & MP3 music?

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #17 of 59 Old May 1st, 2011, 11:54 am Thread Starter

I can't answer on the GPS since the unit I have isn't compatible (car unit). However as far as general comms and music, I'm very impressed. The speakers are very high quality, possibly better than the Autocom I had before. The phone sound to the other person isn't as awesome as the Autocom was, but still very good. With the Autocom people would comment that they thought I was calling on a good landline. Now they just say it sounds like any normal cell phone, not great, but usable. Rider/passenger or rider/rider works great. And this was really the reason I went to Sena from the Autocom; we have two bikes, the wife rides her own sometimes and with me sometimes. The kid may ride with either of us. So this means no matter what bikes we're on, "calling" her helmet is one press of the button and his is two. And no need to install a box on every bike we own.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #18 of 59 Old May 1st, 2011, 6:22 pm

Sorry I'm late to reply. You can get GPS directions via bluetooth on the C3 using SRC but not XM (ZUMO 550).
post #19 of 59 Old May 1st, 2011, 6:32 pm

Cool thanks..

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #20 of 59 Old May 1st, 2011, 7:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by afgrava
Sorry I'm late to reply. You can get GPS directions via bluetooth on the C3 using SRC but not XM (ZUMO 550).
Sounds good (no pun intended), I have no interest in satellite radio, just the GPS commands and maybe music via sd card. I have resisted the expense of the Schuberth C3, but the pros are just too compelling. That and I made the mistake of trying one on and all I can say is Wow! It felt so good on my noggin. So now it seems I just need to decide if I want to go with the SRC audio or stay with my Voice Comm system already installed.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
IBA # 8547
post #21 of 59 Old May 3rd, 2011, 12:01 pm Thread Starter

The SRC system makes no sense to me. I put the Sena system on my C3. Aside from being nearly 3x the price, the SRC has the microphone in a place where it's annoying to open/close the face, has smaller buttons, won't charge and work at the same time, etc etc.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #22 of 59 Old May 3rd, 2011, 12:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez
The SRC system makes no sense to me. I put the Sena system on my C3. Aside from being nearly 3x the price, the SRC has the microphone in a place where it's annoying to open/close the face, has smaller buttons, won't charge and work at the same time, etc etc.

Interesting and thanks Carlos. I have heard a lot of positive things on the Senna system, but I am not fond of having the bluetooth unit mounted on the outside of the helmet, which is what attracted me to the SRC, as it is installed in the helmet. Perhaps I will just stick with my current Voice Comm/J&M hard wired helmet component system.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
IBA # 8547
post #23 of 59 Old May 4th, 2011, 10:32 am Thread Starter

I didn't like the idea either before I got it, but it has turned out to be fine in practice.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #24 of 59 Old May 4th, 2011, 7:33 pm

In earlier posts I stated that the C3 SRC-System was not able to receive XM from the ZUMO 550 via bluetooth. That is correct. However, if you plug the output of the ZUMO 550 into the MP3 input of the C3 SRC System (same place used to charge the battery) , you can get all voice output from the ZUMO 550, including XM (of course, you need the XM antenna).
post #25 of 59 Old May 12th, 2011, 11:59 am

Love the helmet! The looks, the fit, the quiet.

But the SRS system function does not fit my needs at all. We ride two up 99+% of the time. If two SRS helmets are paired, and then paired to a GPS (or phone) only the "master" SRS helmet receives the input from the device. Both rider and passenger cannot hear the GPS voice commands (and/or phone/ or other bluetooth-paired device.

It appears this high quality/high priced system is designed for only "one-up" on a bike except for the intercom function.

I get it. If you pair helmets as a two bike intercom, and each bile has GPS paired to the rider's helmet, you only want to hear your own GPS. But for two-up ........

Booooo! Not for us.

Stan Moore
Lake Tahoe
post #26 of 59 Old May 12th, 2011, 1:43 pm

That is the reality with Bluetooth, not specific to the SRC (Cardo). To get what you are looking for, you would need one of the hard wired systems, or if there is such a thing, a GPS which will allow more than one pairing. Not sure why the passenger needs or would want to hear the GPS?

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
IBA # 8547
post #27 of 59 Old May 13th, 2011, 5:26 pm Thread Starter

Right, why does the passenger want to hear the GPS?

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #28 of 59 Old May 15th, 2011, 2:06 pm

This is unbelievable - I guess it's "buyer beware", do you think this is something (2nd helmet to audio system pairing) that can be fixed with a Schuberth software update?
post #29 of 59 Old May 17th, 2011, 1:48 pm Thread Starter

No, they can't "fix" it, because it's an intrinsic part of the Bluetooth specification.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #30 of 59 Old May 18th, 2011, 3:24 pm
tlc

I tried on a C3 last night and ended up ordering one (my size/color was not available in the store) along with the SRC setup. At $1,100 it's over twice what I've ever spent on a helmet.

I have had three Arai Profile (the "long oval") helmets. Recently I have been feeling pressure on the sides of my head. I shave my head, so it's not due to a change in my hair!

I have not found any consistent data on the shape of the C3, but when I tried it on last night I initially felt some pressure on my forehead, but it quickly went away. I wore it for about 20 minutes, and it felt fine.

It should arrive in less than a week, and I'm anxious to try it on the road. I certainly hope it fits, or it might be headed for ebay!

I live in Maryville, TN, and I was prepared to ride to either Louisville, KY or Atlanta to try one for size. Schuberth's website shows Dual Sport Touring in Friendsville, TN as a dealer. They're less than 10 miles from my home, so that's where I went.
post #31 of 59 Old May 18th, 2011, 4:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc
I tried on a C3 last night and ended up ordering one (my size/color was not available in the store) along with the SRC setup. At $1,100 it's over twice what I've ever spent on a helmet.

I have had three Arai Profile (the "long oval") helmets. Recently I have been feeling pressure on the sides of my head. I shave my head, so it's not due to a change in my hair!

I have not found any consistent data on the shape of the C3, but when I tried it on last night I initially felt some pressure on my forehead, but it quickly went away. I wore it for about 20 minutes, and it felt fine.

It should arrive in less than a week, and I'm anxious to try it on the road. I certainly hope it fits, or it might be headed for ebay!

I live in Maryville, TN, and I was prepared to ride to either Louisville, KY or Atlanta to try one for size. Schuberth's website shows Dual Sport Touring in Friendsville, TN as a dealer. They're less than 10 miles from my home, so that's where I went.
Me too, and also orderd the SRC, mine is due at my door today. Before ordering, I tried one on for a half hour and it felt comfortable with even pressure all the way around, no hot spots or pressure points. I have the option through Revzilla of sending it back for a full refund or exchange, so I will be wearing it around the house tonight for an extended period of time to confirm a comfortable fit. My wife tried one and at a half hour she started to notice an uncomfortable pressure point on her forehead. Tried several times with the same result. Ended up sending it back for an Arai Profile, which she absolutely loves. She has a classic oval Arai shaped head, so no surprise. My initial try was encouraging but my head is also on the oval side, perhaps a tad rounder than my wife's, so hopefully it will be the right fit for me, because i really like this helmet. Good luck with yours.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
IBA # 8547
post #32 of 59 Old May 19th, 2011, 9:10 am

Garage
Thumbs up Re: Bought a Schuberth C3

I received my C3 yesterday and rode into work this morning. The helmet is a Large and the fit is pretty comfortable, but I did notice that with the bottom air vent open, it gets a low rumble noise in the whole helmet. When you close it, it gets a lot quieter. It will probably be a lot quieter when I go back to using my Ztechnik Vstream windshield (it's summer so I use the OEM shield).

2009 K1300 GT
2005 R1200 RT - gone
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone
post #33 of 59 Old May 26th, 2011, 7:48 pm
tlc

I picked up my C3 Tuesday afternoon. I wore it around the house for about 45 minutes, and when I took it off there was a big red spot right in the middle of my forehead. I wore it again last night, and again there was a big red spot, exactly like the "liner strap" that runs from front to back.

I decided it was not going to fit, so I took it back this afternoon. It was a Large (my head circumference measures 59cm). I came home with an XL, and it feels good so far, maybe too good; I'm concerned that it might be too big. I tried all the recommended pulls, tugs, twists, etc., to see if it would move around on my head, and it didn't.

One test is to put your hand on back of the helmet and push forward, then trying to put your pinky finger between your forehead and the helmet liner. I could insert almost all of my pinky in there, and that is supposed to mean it's too large.

I wear Large in Arai. Has anyone else had to increase size with the C3?
post #34 of 59 Old May 27th, 2011, 8:02 pm

I am also 59 using a tape but that is just a starting point and I have been buying XL Nolans. I put the C3 L on and wore it for about 30 minutes and it was just too tight. The XL C3 also seems slightly tight but I went with it. I could not wear the N103 as it just did not fit anywhere near as good as my old N102 XL did.

I think the XL C3 will be OK but it is still snug and I can get a little space in the front if the helmet is not positioned right. On me, the C3 XL is snug almost all around and I can slide skin when I move the equipment both up and down and side to side. I think that will eventually be less as the helmet wears. I have about an hour in the saddle and the C3 is incredibly quiet and I attribute some of that to the close fit in the temple region. I didn't check the L but I have to put my glasses or sunglasses on before I put the helmet on. My regular glasses are very thin wire and the will not go on after the helmet goes on.

Hope that helps..

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #35 of 59 Old May 29th, 2011, 8:16 pm
tlc

Yes, thanks, that does help. I was at the BMW MOAL Chicken Rally in Huntsville this weekend. Schubert had a display there, along with Bloodworth BMW of Nashville. I must have tried the L and XL C3s at least 30 times each during the weekend. I even tried the L with the communications system installed. I believe now I will go with the L. The XL just feels too loose, and if anything, it will get looser over time, rather than tighter. Unless I change my mind by Tuesday, that's what I'm going to do.
post #36 of 59 Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 2:45 pm

Hi,

I too just bought the Schuberth C3 helmet with the SRC however, with my 1200RTís (2011) audio system the SRC wouldnít pair in such a way that would allow the audio, navigation (BMW NAV IV) and the Apple iPhone to all connect. Long story short, I had to have the helmet sent back to the dealer and had the SRC exchanged for the brand new BMW Communications System that is dealer installed ONLY. This I believe will resolve the issues and allows for everything to work seamlessly.

Currently charging the Bluetooth so canít do anything for the next few hours - Keeping my fingers and toes crossed that all works well!

Zed H. (Milford, Cconnecticut)
BMW 2011 R-1200RT
Thunder Grey | Titan Silver | Granite Grey
post #37 of 59 Old Jul 1st, 2011, 3:28 pm

How did the BMW Comm system work out for you?
post #38 of 59 Old Jul 16th, 2011, 6:59 pm

When I took delivery of my K1600, I also took delivery on a new Schuberth C3. When I tried them on, I found the large too big, and the medium snug, but figured I'd bring it home and wear it for more than a couple minutes to see how it feels before taking the stickers/tags off.... Well, 15 minutes and I was in pain. Not any one hot-spot, but pressure around the whole head. Damn. I had such high hopes, but either I'm a "tweener" in my size, or the C3 isn't the "long-oval" shape that I have found as my Arai and Shoei ful-face helmets fit great.

So I returned it, and ordered a Shoei Multi-tech modular....

Scott

In the garage:
'12 K1600 GTL (took delivery 5/25)
'12 Ducati Monster EVO 1100
'08 Big Dog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX 500 Deluxe (restored)

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

post #39 of 59 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 1:35 pm

Since I'm ordering a C3 online can someone tell me what color dark Anthracite is or perhaps post a picture of the helmet. I'm a bit color blind but I wanted the helmet to match the 2010 Thunder Gray R1200RT if possible.
It's already ordered by out of stock. I might be able to change my order to another in stock helmet so your advise is appreciated.

Thanks,
tsp
My blog http://www.swriding.blogspot.com
post #40 of 59 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 1:52 pm

I've been wearing my C3 for about a year now. By far the best I've owned and I agree with all the +'ve things others have said. My only negative comment is that the visor won't stay open above 60 mph on my LT. Sometimes it would be nice.
post #41 of 59 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 9:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabadou2
I've been wearing my C3 for about a year now. By far the best I've owned and I agree with all the +'ve things others have said. My only negative comment is that the visor won't stay open above 60 mph on my LT. Sometimes it would be nice.
You can slip an o-ring, about 1/2" in diameter between the visor and the helmet to help hold it open. I did that to mine and most of the time it will stay up. It also depends on your windshield and position.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #42 of 59 Old Jul 8th, 2012, 7:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
You can slip an o-ring, about 1/2" in diameter between the visor and the helmet to help hold it open. I did that to mine and most of the time it will stay up. It also depends on your windshield and position.
I re-measured the 0-ring and it is 18mm. little more than 3/4".

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #43 of 59 Old Jul 8th, 2012, 7:56 am

Dan,

Can you explain the o-ring thing?

Is it just acting as a "wedge" to keep the plastic shield open?

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #44 of 59 Old Jul 8th, 2012, 8:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight
Dan,

Can you explain the o-ring thing?

Is it just acting as a "wedge" to keep the plastic shield open?
Yes - It just applies a little friction and was not hard to install. The 0-ring is just 2 mm thick.

I picked up this tip on the K1600 forum. It really works.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #45 of 59 Old Jul 8th, 2012, 12:56 pm

Update: Since they had to order the helmet anyway I changed my order to the black "The World". Hope it's not too hot but it sure looks good.

tsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsperez
Since I'm ordering a C3 online can someone tell me what color dark Anthracite is or perhaps post a picture of the helmet. I'm a bit color blind but I wanted the helmet to match the 2010 Thunder Gray R1200RT if possible.
It's already ordered by out of stock. I might be able to change my order to another in stock helmet so your advise is appreciated.

Thanks,
tsp
My blog http://www.swriding.blogspot.com
post #46 of 59 Old Jul 8th, 2012, 2:48 pm

Hey Dan,

do you have a picture or a link to the correct O-ring?

I would love to give it a try and see how it works out for me.

Paul

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #47 of 59 Old Jul 26th, 2012, 3:24 pm

Cool Re: Bought a Schuberth C3

I recently purchased a 2012 K1600 GTL after riding a Harley Ultra Classic for many years; wow, just didn't know what I was missing but I do now. First 250 miles have me looking for excuses to get on it and ride. Ordered my C-3 helmets for my wife and myself with the BMW communications installed and am picking them up tomorrow afternoon. Is it necessary to have the GPS Navigation system in order to pair the two helmets? Second question - does the motorcycle only allow for one cellphone to be paired to it or is it like my X5 which allows the pairing of multiple devices. I have plugged in my iphone to the special connector and play music from it, but I wonder if the system prioritizes the devices used. For example if I am playing music and a phone call comes in will it automatically identify the call and allow me to answer it? How does an incoming phone call affect helmet to helmet communications? My wife rides her own Triumph Speedmaster from time to time and it will be great for us to talk as we are riding but I am also curious as to what real distance we can be apart and still communicate effectively with each other. Any help any of you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
post #48 of 59 Old Jul 27th, 2012, 8:32 pm

I have a C3 with the Schuberth SRC which is the same product without the BMW only branded firmware. I don't have a bike that has a bluetooth audio system and I have not interfaced with anyone with the same equipment.

However both electronics, the BMW Comm and the SRC are 'electronically' the Scala G4 system and you might have better luck looking at the comments on their bike to bike communications.

I use an iPhone for tunes and cellular and I believe your performance will all about pairing your equipment with the bike, your phone and your wife's system.

It has been my experience that I cannot pair my SRC system with my Zumo 550 and my iPhone because they have conflicting bluetooth profiles.

Good luck, the bluetooth pairing will be something that has the potential to frustrate because it is all sequence orientated. However since you have an all BMW system it should work well, or at least you can get the dealer to get it working for you under warranty ..

I would imagine that once you set up the profiles for the K1600 audio system to work with both helmets you can then branch onto the second bike.. It would be interesting to hear what you found out. I intend on hopefully moving to K1600 eventually but I have a personal goal of getting my LT over 100K. I'm close so maybe next year.

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #49 of 59 Old Jul 28th, 2012, 1:39 am
Cat Herder

Garage

Here is a picture. The cops do this to keep the visor up at higher speeds.
The visor is designed to close at speeds over 35mph.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	620
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	36019  

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #50 of 59 Old Jul 28th, 2012, 6:58 am

My wife and my helmet both have the BMW Bluetooth system installed. You don't need the GPS to talk to each other, the phone calls take priority but the call is only heard in the helmet that the phone is paired with. Both our helmets are paired with our own phones, it can be confusing when you are in intercom mode and one of you receives the call because the other all of sudden hears the radio. I have the TomTom app on the phone and run the phone through the audio system.

Gerhard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in