Schuberth C3 - SRC communication system - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Feb 5th, 2011, 11:08 am Thread Starter

Schuberth C3 - SRC communication system

I recently bought a Schuberth C3 from FC-Moto and just love it. I'm considering the Schuberth SRC communication system, although the cost makes me gulp a little. I was wondering if anyone is using the SRC system and how they like it? I'm especially interested in the audio quality and the ease of pairing with a Garmin GPS. Thanks.

Doug

Doug
2012 R1200RT - The Green Machine
2007 R1200RT - Sold - but not forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Feb 14th, 2011, 8:00 am

Re: Schuberth C3 - SRC communication system

I haven;t used one but just saw the helmet and comm system at the Chicago motorcycle show. There are many alternatives when you compare the $1,100 price tag for the combo. I can get a new helmet and comm system for much, much less.

But, the helmet seemed incredibly nice. If not for the price I would have already ordered one. If I can find one at a steep discount I will get this helmet.

How long have you had it? What are your early impressions?

Peter Tessin
2002 Champagne
post #3 of 13 Old Feb 15th, 2011, 7:17 pm Thread Starter

You can usually get 25% off at FC-Moto in Germany.

Doug
2012 R1200RT - The Green Machine
2007 R1200RT - Sold - but not forgotten

post #4 of 13 Old Feb 15th, 2011, 11:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaliko
I recently bought a Schuberth C3 from FC-Moto and just love it. I'm considering the Schuberth SRC communication system, although the cost makes me gulp a little. I was wondering if anyone is using the SRC system and how they like it? I'm especially interested in the audio quality and the ease of pairing with a Garmin GPS. Thanks.

Doug
I demo'd the C3 with the SRC system and it worked fantastic! I would recommend it, but...

Not sure if you are planning on getting the K1600GT/GTL, but if so, I would hold off on the SRC. Your BMW dealers will stock the BMW Communicator to pair up with the C3 sometime in March. This is the ONLY communication system to fully integrate with the K1600s.

1World
2008 R1200GSA
2009 K1300S
1948 R35
post #5 of 13 Old Jun 1st, 2011, 12:51 am

do you know where i can get the BMW communication head sets?
I have the two of the Schubreth C3's and am getting a K1600 GTL.
post #6 of 13 Old Jun 1st, 2011, 9:29 am

I have the SRC system and like it very much. Yes it is salty, but worth it to me for the clean, integrated install and quality. The installation was a breeze, took all of 10 minutes, the pairing with GPS etc is very easy and quick. Regretfully the Schuberth did not fit my wife's noggin, so I purchased a Cardo G4 for her Arai and the two paired easily and communication between is very good. Sound quality is good If however you are looking for audiophile quality, this system is not it, but what mc system is? Sound is clear and has very good volume level. The buttons to operate the system are logical, but take a little getting use to with gloves, however the learnig curve is short. The mic can interfere with closure of the Schuberth, but is easily solved and managed and suggestions it is a major flaw and insurmountable, in my opinion are over blown. One trick I learned from a Revzilla video, is to remove the removable leather chin flap closure doohicky, which I understand is for colder weather. Removal seems to aid in closing the helmet. Hope this helps.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #7 of 13 Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 2:45 pm

Hi,

I too just bought the Schuberth C3 helmet with the SRC however, with my 1200RT’s (2011) audio system the SRC wouldn’t pair in such a way that would allow the audio, navigation (BMW NAV IV) and the Apple iPhone to all connect. Long story short, I had to have the helmet sent back to the dealer and had the SRC exchanged for the brand new BMW Communications System that is dealer installed ONLY. This I believe will resolve the issues and allows for everything to work seamlessly.

Currently charging the Bluetooth so can’t do anything for the next few hours - Keeping my fingers and toes crossed that all works well!

Zed H. (Milford, Cconnecticut)
BMW 2011 R-1200RT
Thunder Grey | Titan Silver | Granite Grey
post #8 of 13 Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 7:17 pm

What is the NavIV in Garmin terms.. Is that a Zumo 550?

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #9 of 13 Old Sep 25th, 2011, 12:08 am

Terrible problems with the bluetooth. I bought TWO C2 with SRC for both.

Very difficult to switch between rider-to-rider and music. Sometines it connects, sometimes it doesn't. When it does, it also sends a command to the phone to stop the music. But the only way to start it again is to touch the touch screen of the phone which is impossible with gloves on, and dangerous.

Also, the automatic leveling based upon speed DRIVES ME CRAZY! I wish I could turn it off. I'll control the volume manually my self.

But, the real problem is the first one mentioned.... the inconsistencies of connecting to the other helment and then to my phone and back again. Tonight when went on a rider and couldn't get connected any device on either helmet.
post #10 of 13 Old Nov 1st, 2011, 7:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mptpro
Terrible problems with the bluetooth. I bought TWO C2 with SRC for both.

Very difficult to switch between rider-to-rider and music. Sometines it connects, sometimes it doesn't. When it does, it also sends a command to the phone to stop the music. But the only way to start it again is to touch the touch screen of the phone which is impossible with gloves on, and dangerous.

Also, the automatic leveling based upon speed DRIVES ME CRAZY! I wish I could turn it off. I'll control the volume manually my self.

But, the real problem is the first one mentioned.... the inconsistencies of connecting to the other helment and then to my phone and back again. Tonight when went on a rider and couldn't get connected any device on either helmet.
MPTPRO, I think that you might have it all wrong. you can only pair the Scala with ONE device. you need to delete the bluetooth connection from all the other devices.

Or at least that is how it seems to work for mine.

I have the Garmin zumo paired to the Iphone and the Scala and play MP3 from the garmin to the Scala. When a call comes in I answer on the Zumo which acts as a conduit for the iphone. When I am paired to another scala the rider to rider cuts out the music option as the rider to rider takes precedent. The Navigation takes precident over the rider to rider and I believe that the phone is highest of all.

I would recommend you check with Scala first, but I believe that this is how the whole thing works...

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 13 Old Nov 1st, 2011, 7:04 pm

and I just checked this is from the Scala site

Thanks to MDC technology, the scala rider G4 offers parallel connectivity as follows:

Intercom conference mode with up to two other scala rider G4 users and with one of the following Bluetooth devices:

Mobile Phone including iPhone™ or other smartphones (either directly or via a GPS device) / GPS device

A2DP enabled MP3 Player or Adapter

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 13 Old Nov 13th, 2011, 1:17 pm

The J&M brand helmet headset has been independently tested and approved for custom installation into the Schuberth C3, as per the press release below ,,,,,,

complete details from J&M at http://www.jmcorp.com/Static/helmet-schuberth-C3.htm ,,,,,,,

[SIZE=5]Schuberth[/SIZE]
June 16, 2011
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Schuberth C3 and C3W – Now Approved for J&M Communication System Installation
Aliso Viejo, Calif., June 16, 2011 – Schuberth North America customers will now be able to have J&M corded headsets installed in a C3 or C3W motorcycle helmet.

“Although the Schuberth Rider Communication System allows riders to install a fully integrated Bluetooth system into a Schuberth C3 or C3W,” reports Randy Northrup, Schuberth North America’s General Manager, “we know that some riders would prefer to be wired into current on-bike systems or to use CB radio.
Customers who currently own J&M systems can now be assured when they purchase a New C3 or C3W that J&M will have a solution for connectivity to their bike and passengers.”
J&M offers some of the best in the communications systems available. Recently, the Schuberth helmets with J&M systems installed were submitted to testing facility, ACT Labs, who certified the C3 and C3W comply to DOT safety standards with the J&M system installed.

“After getting our helmets tested and approved for use with the J&M integrated headset, we are happy to be able to offer this option for Schuberth customers,” says Northrup.

Customers who wish to have a J&M headset installed in a C3 or C3W will need to purchase the helmet from an authorized Schuberth dealer and either send the helmet to J&M or see them on-site at a motorcycle event.
Details about the C3 and C3W helmets and dealer locations are available on the Schuberth website:
schuberth.com.

Schuberth North America is a branch of Schuberth GmbH in Magdeburg, Germany, providing innovative, protective Motorcycle Helmets. Made in Germany.

Schuberth North America
Phone: 949-215-0893
Email: [email protected]
post #13 of 13 Old Nov 25th, 2012, 12:59 pm

I've had problems with the aftersales service at FC-moto . My SRC was returned to them and then to Schuberth. Schuberth sent them the replacement unit to forward to me and it has not been received. I get no response from them when I try to contact them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in