FirstGear Heated Gear - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jan 12th, 2011, 10:08 pm Thread Starter

FirstGear Heated Gear

Anyone have any experience with the FirstGear line. They offer a 65 & 90W jacket liner. I've looked at Powerlet and am familiar with Gerbings, but not available. The price point on the FG is lower and I have had good results with a pair of TPG pants. The wires in the jacket are noticeable heavier than Gerbings, but other than that I don't see much difference.

Thanks,

Fred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jan 12th, 2011, 10:54 pm

Re: FirstGear Heated Gear

For more information on the Firstgear heated liners, check out http://www.warmnsafe.com. They are the OEM for Firstgear heated clothing. Excellent stuff. The fit is a little different than Gerbings, where WnS has a bit more room in the shoulders.

"Not all who wander are lost"

2014 R1200GS Adv
2018 Vespa 300
post #3 of 12 Old Jan 12th, 2011, 11:26 pm

Not sure if you were asking specifically about the jacket liners, but thought I would mention that I recently bought a pair of FirstGear heated gloves, only to discover one of the gloves would not heat. I know it wasn't the wiring harness since my Gerbings glove liners worked OK. For this to happen to a brand-new pair of gloves with quality-assurance tags still attached did not give me a lot of confidence in this brand. My local Cycle Gear made it right and ordered me another pair, although the clerk said I was not the first customer to experience this problem with their gloves.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Jan 13th, 2011, 9:22 am

My wife and I have this line, they work well and should, as they are made by Warm & Safe who make very good products. They have kept us warm as low as 34 degrees (my wife's jacket is the 65 watt version) which is the coldest we have ridden since purchasing them.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #5 of 12 Old Jan 13th, 2011, 12:24 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwkraft
Anyone have any experience with the FirstGear line. They offer a 65 & 90W jacket liner. I've looked at Powerlet and am familiar with Gerbings, but not available. The price point on the FG is lower and I have had good results with a pair of TPG pants. The wires in the jacket are noticeable heavier than Gerbings, but other than that I don't see much difference.

Thanks,

Fred
I've had the First Gear Warm and Safe for a couple of years. I really like it. Not as bulky as the Gerbings and the stretch panels in the sides and sleeves allow for a snug fit so you get the most out of the heat.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old Jan 13th, 2011, 3:20 pm

I sure wish I had some, headed to Texas in the morning and the low here tonight is supposed to be 13. That is if the sun melts enough snow off with only a high of 28 today to get out of this subdivision I'm in. Once I hit the main road though, I'm good to go.
post #7 of 12 Old Jan 13th, 2011, 7:57 pm

I ride year round as a motor officer and have purchased both brands of heated clothing.
The small difference in price does not even justify purchasing the First one on your list. The second one stands behind their product with a "no quarrel" return policy. If it ever fails, they replace it. Try to find that kind of customer service with the First one.
Buy Quality !
post #8 of 12 Old Jan 13th, 2011, 8:52 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback, I figured it would be mixed based on actual experience with each product. I couldn't find the right size in Gerbings and bought a First Gear. Just wired the accessory plug and will test it out in the morning. Seems like a lot of extra wires to deal with.
post #9 of 12 Old Jan 13th, 2011, 10:04 pm

Wink Re: FirstGear Heated Gear

My wife and I both have the Warm & Safe heated jacket liners. Hers has the optional remote control Heatroller, mine is the standard Heatroller. As far as wires go, it is simply two wires connected to the battery for power, and everything else is a quick disconnect, so I don't see where there is any problem there.

The remote control is great as she can just keep it in her outer riding jacket pocket and adjust the temp of the liner from there. I just have mine in the Tank Bag for now, since I can use it on either one of the Bikes this way by simply plugging it into the power I have plumbed to each Tank Bag. The Heatroller is easy enough to access while riding in the Tank Bag, so no probs there.

Granted you do have to plug in the jacket before you ride off. I have forgotten that a couple of times, but the cold air is quick to remind me to pull over and plug it in!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwkraft
Thanks for the feedback, I figured it would be mixed based on actual experience with each product. I couldn't find the right size in Gerbings and bought a First Gear. Just wired the accessory plug and will test it out in the morning. Seems like a lot of extra wires to deal with.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #10 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 10:48 am

My pillion has the jacket liner and gloves. She loves them. I found the quality to be very good, and the Warm N Safe remote heat controller was a bargain price and very nice to use. We have a local dealer who discounts very nicely, ended up with the jacket at $92 and remote dual controller for $65.

Installation was easy, just connected the supplied cable to my existing fuse block. It can just as easily go on the battery if you don't have a fuse block already installed (they include an inline fuse).

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #11 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 2:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by timchiswell
I ride year round as a motor officer and have purchased both brands of heated clothing.
The small difference in price does not even justify purchasing the First one on your list. The second one stands behind their product with a "no quarrel" return policy. If it ever fails, they replace it. Try to find that kind of customer service with the First one.
Buy Quality !
First Gear heated liners, controllers etc. are made by Warm & Safe which is a quality outfit who also helped Gerbings make a better product.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #12 of 12 Old Jan 28th, 2011, 12:01 pm

If you have questions or need help with the gear, Give me a shout, Larry

Warm & Safe Heated Clothing Sale- Lowest Prices!!

Contact Me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in