Gerbing heated insoles - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 5:12 pm Thread Starter

Gerbing heated insoles

Has anyone tried these. I have the Gerbing socks which I don't particularly like. Was thinking about getting the insoles but they feel a bit like walking on a tennis ball, because I have flat feet and they have a built up arch. I also wonder if having the heat just on the bottom of the feet is effective to keep warm. Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jan 1st, 2011, 6:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Re: Gerbing heated insoles

I have used the Gerbing socks for several years, and although they were very effective in keeping my feet warm, the heating wires were a constant annoyance. I just received a pair of the insoles for Christmas and took them out for a test ride for the first time today. It was unusually warm in New Jersey today (around 50 degrees), so I wasn't really able to test the effectiveness at normal winter temps, as of yet. I have a medium instep, but I found the built in high arch to be somewhat annoying initially, but I think that the comfort will increase with break-in. I found the padding in the insole and the overall quality to be good.. As far as effective heating, I felt that the insole kept my feet warm by warming the entire boot- foot area rather that directly heating the skin like the socks. This I found to be a positive thing. I'll need more use and colder temps to provide a final thumbs up or down on the product. So far, I wouldn't throw away my socks yet.

Bob

2005 Blue K1200LT
2010 R1200GS
BMW/MOA 94539

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 8:55 am

I have them...I use them and I like them. About 25% power keeps me toasty.

post #4 of 11 Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 9:18 am

I wish I had a pair right now!! It's 16 out and I'm itchin' to ride!!

Lawrence

2010 R1200 RT
2000 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 6:02 pm Thread Starter

I appreciate your comments. Bob hits many of my concerns on the head. I have poor circulation in the feet, so I get sort of a burning sensation when I use the socks (not to mention the discomfort of having all the wires). Considering how much most of this stuff costs, the insoles are a relative bargain, so it might be worth giving them a try. I've managed to get the rest of my bod' fairly comfortable in the cold weather and the feet are the last challenge.
post #6 of 11 Old Feb 10th, 2011, 8:33 am
Lifetime Supporter

Talking Re: Gerbing heated insoles

I now have the Gerbing insoles. The reason: After a 2 hr. ride at less than freezing my feet were very uncomfortable. My chem pack had accidentally been used up so there was no relief to be had. So I ordered the insoles and waited for a cold morning. When I left it was 26 f and climbed to 31 after 1 1/2 hrs. My feet were just fine. I wore the same Cruiserworks Tour boots and the same winter socks as above. And unlike heated socks, where wires could be uncomfortable to walk on, the insoles create no walking problems.
An excellent $60 investment in winter riding.
I have the Gerbing liner, gloves and insoles with the Temptroller.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #7 of 11 Old Feb 10th, 2011, 11:50 am

I gave the Warm and Safe socks a try. You feel no wires and they kept my toes room temperature on my SS1000 in December.....temps running between 34 and 50. I gave them another try on a 250 mile ride that started at 19 degrees and only got up to freezing with the same results.

They do have coax connectors and work just fine with my Gerbing Jacket liner and glove liners.

Of course I got them from the forum vendor at:

http://www.12voltclothing.com/

Ron

735,834 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 84,612 miles (new)
Total BMW miles 497,451
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #8 of 11 Old Feb 10th, 2011, 3:32 pm

I have the jacket, gloves and soles with a dual controller.

The soles are very comfortable to walk and keep me toasty warm with ordinary socks and BMW riding boots. I've ridden in 20 degree temperatures for hours with no issues.

The only drawback is that it is difficult to coordinate sole temperature and glove temperature with one controller.
post #9 of 11 Old Feb 10th, 2011, 7:56 pm Thread Starter

At the International MC Show in DC I stopped by the Gerbing booth and they have a new version of the electric socks. They compare to socks like mittens compare to gloves. I didn't try them on but it seems like they would take up a lot of space in the boots and get bunched up. On the plus side, they have the micro wires and go up higher on the leg than the old socks. They're more expensive too. I wasn't sufficiently impressed with them to invest $80 and I will wait till they've been around while for some less risk-averse folks to try them. I rode last weekend with the old style socks and they kept my feet warm and are OK, as long as you don't plan to do much walking.
post #10 of 11 Old Feb 10th, 2011, 10:34 pm

I've had the insoles two winters now, they are great. My feet get cold easily, and when they do I am miserable. These insoles keep my feet plenty warm on an all day ride in cold weather, 250 miles in the 30's and 40's. I don't have the controller, just the on/off switch, and I leave them on all day unless it gets into the mid 50's, then I switch them off for awhile.

BMRBOB
post #11 of 11 Old Feb 10th, 2011, 11:02 pm Thread Starter

I think that I will give them a try. I was holding off to see what the new socks looked like, but as I mentioned above, I'm not impressed with them. The insoles aren't too much of an investment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in