BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Bring on the cold!!

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  steveaikens 
#1 ·
I had bought the Tourmaster flex pant earlier this fall and liked them so much I just picked up the flex jacket and a synergy heated liner. I can't believe how versitle these things are. I wish i had them years ago. I also have the tourmaster solution boots, I feel they are about the best "bang for the buck" company out there right now. It's been a long time coming but I finally ride with "all the gear".

#2 ·
Once you really buy into the heated gear philosophy all the way, you wonder why you didn't do it years earlier. I own a Gerbing's jacket liner, gloves (2 types), pants liners, and socks. Add a dual-zone HeatTroller and I can ride down to zero degrees without hesitation.

#3 ·
I took my maiden voyage this morning and had the jacket on low, it was 50 deg with high winds and when I was in town it was too much. I'm really going to enjoy this at night and when it gets really cold :) . If I could afford the rest of the gear I think I would get it, but I'll just piece it together like the rest of the stuff.

#5 ·
messenger13_ver2 said:
Once you really buy into the heated gear philosophy all the way, you wonder why you didn't do it years earlier. I own a Gerbing's jacket liner, gloves (2 types), pants liners, and socks. Add a dual-zone HeatTroller and I can ride down to zero degrees without hesitation.
I've been riding Gerbings gear since they got cranked up in the 70's. I just up-graded everything to the new Micro-Wire technology. Jacket liner, pants and T5 gloves. I just finished installing the permanent mount dual controller on my R12RT last night.

I jerry-rigged it on the bike and tried everything before doing the permanent install Thursday night at 30 degrees. I did a 110 mile loop back to the house. My normal riding gear is LDComfort long sleeve shirt, LDComfort tights, Two-piece Aerostitch riding suit, BMW AllAround boots - appropriate gloves. My test ride added the new MicroWire Gerbings.

First observations: Wiring to the gear is easier to manage with the panel plug system on the jacket liner. Sleeve to gloves wire is still a smidge too short IMO, but it's managable once you learn how to hold it to plug in before you put the gloves on - just like the old ones. The new sleeve pockets for the plug are better than on the older gear. The Jacket liner is more "wear-able" than the older ones, being less "wire bound". You can barely feel the wires now. The New T-5 gloves fit better that the T3's I had. I wear a large glove. The new T-5 fits perfectly and is VERY comfortable. Finger length is now correct in size Large. The measurement guide on the site is accurate. Not quite so accurate for the pant liner sizing. I find the pant liner, in the correct size I ordered, is a little snug around the waist and across my butt. They're snugger in the same size as my old gear was. Fits ok, just not used to it being that snug. No problems in my test ride and once under way, I really didn't notice them.

Ok - how does the new MicroWire technology work? First thing is - heat is right there, right now. Heating is even and easy to control. At 30 degrees, it's really easy to dial it up to the "too hot for me" range. As soon as I was under way, I turned it on to low and within about 30 seconds, if that long, I felt heat from the jacket liner, then the gloves and then the pant liner. Until I got out of town and got some speed, that was enough. Actually, it was a little more than needed in town for the gloves. I left them on for the test ride but normally, I wouldn't run glove heat at around town speeds. Running 70 mph once out of town, I waited to see how long it would be before I felt "cool". As it turned out, I never felt cool enough to warrant turning anything up but did so anyway. I dial the Gerbings controller both to about 50 percent. It got too hot really fast. However, one major difference in the heat output is how even it is compared to the old gear I had [last generation before the MicroWire]. I was quite happy with how even it was with the old gear. That was before I tried out this new technology. Even the gloves were heating very evenly with no hotspots.

I know there are other heated gear manufacturers out there and from friends that use it, they also like their gear. As a long time user of Gerbings gear, for me an my cold-natured wife, I'm sold on it. When they first started in the late 70's, I had a couple issues with spotty heat and they exchanged a couple jacket liners for me. That said, since the improvements they made starting in the mid-90's, my wife and I have had no problems at all and have been really pleased with how the Gerbings gear has performed for us. This newest technology puts the older stuff to shame in how fast and even heat is distributed throughout the system - and the actual amount of heat felt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.