Did you switch from Schuberth to else? Did you like it? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 2:23 pm Thread Starter

Did you switch from Schuberth to else? Did you like it?

Did anyone of you switch his helmet from a Schuberth Concept or C2 to another brand modular? If so, could you comment on your likes and dislikes in the aftermath?

I am now on my third or fourth one of the Schuberth’s, ready to replace the current one. I am very seriously considering another brand (especially after the latest comparison in MCN).

Here are my pros and cons of my current Schubert. I wonder how these stack up against competition in your eyes, with your experiences.

On the plus side:
  • “City” setting of the visor (where it pops away a bit to allow air at the top). I just love this feature and use it a lot. That will be hard to give up.
  • Internal sunshield.
  • Fairly low noise level.
  • Chin guard that is supposed to reduce noise, but in my eyes is very important in blocking cold air from coming up, important for me in cool weather.
The minus side:
  • Non-removable liner (aside the little foam “hairnet”). My helmets get quite stinky even though I wash them occasionally – mold must be lodged in the foam-and-leather straps and neck/ear-pads.
  • Very poor build quality on late C2’s – even after I had the helmet replaced by the then-dealer. The earlier ones were built much better. That really soured me on the brand:
    - Sloppy attachment of the “hairnet” pads with sticky Velcro’s instead of snaps. The pads move with time.
    - Poor sealing of the top of the visor, allowing cold air to blow into my eyes.
    - Very difficult to operate release. I have to pull hard on the chin bar with one hand and push the button with my other, and still fight to get it open.
  • Of course, an exorbitant price and, again, only gray-market availability.

So, here is what my ideal modular helmet would be like:
  • “City” shield position (OK, I know it’s only Schuberth’s, but...)
  • Internal sunshield. Must be internal.
  • Removable/washable liner and cheek/ear padding.
  • Good cold-weather insulation for the face and neck. I ride a lot at temperatures in the 30’s and 40’s and that is important to me.

Comments?

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rdwalker; Sep 22nd, 2010 at 4:09 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 3:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Did you switch from Schuberth to else? Did you like it?

Went form a Schuberth C2 to a Nolan 103. Nolan pros - feels lighter, entire liner is removable, easier to instal headsets. Cons - much nosier, face shield don't seal as well, operation of the internal sun visor more difficult. Although both helmets are acceptable, I may go with an Arai full face helmet next time..

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory – Growing Up is Optional
post #3 of 17 Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 4:29 pm

Had the C2 for several years and loved it; got a very good deal on the new C3 at the NEC bike show and it is every bit as good as the C2 and then some!! Lighter, quieter, more comfortable and snug fitting and everything about it oozes quality. Really pleased with it.

I also have the Nolan N103 (had to buy a new white helmet for the 'blood bike' I ride) and although not bad, it just does not come close to the Schuberth.

Just my opinion, but I know several others who feel just the same about the C3 - fabulous helmet!

post #4 of 17 Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 4:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I had several Concepts and C2s. Loved 'em.

I've since made the 'mistake' of trying on (and then buying) an Akuma Phantom II carbon fiber full face with the Transitions tint face shield. I realize you asked about modular and the Phantom II is not but the incredible weight savings and the beauty that is the Transitions face shield far out way that for me.

I'll never be able to wear a heavy helmet again after wearing this carbon fiber gem. Lite, quiet, waterproof, all day comfy, and did I mention lite?

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #5 of 17 Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 7:55 am Thread Starter

Thanks for your comments. Food for thought.

Robert in Northern NJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 8:32 am

I've had 2 C2's and would have probably bought another if not for the lack of US imports. Replaced the last one with a Shoie Multitec and like it very much. I think it's lighter and possibly quieter, but no sun shield. Try a "SLICK" or HJC COOLMAX head cover under your helmet. It'll keep you cooler and protect the helmet liner clean.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #7 of 17 Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 10:45 am

I'm still using a Jarrow that I've had for about 4 years now and its beginning to show its age. I'm looking at the HJC Symax II. Has most of the features you are looking for. One thing for sure....No more imports that disappear from the market with no replacement parts available here in the US. The Symax II is priced pretty well also.

Bob

Bob
2003 K1200LT Black
Rockaway, NJ
post #8 of 17 Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 1:17 pm

Smile Re: Did you switch from Schuberth to else? Did you like it?

Schuberth is now distributing in the US, they were at the International Rally in Redmond, replacing pads, face shields and doing general repairs.
They were telling me that the US folks work directly for Schuberth not a third party distributor.

I have the current C3 and am extremely happy with it, I agree that the C2 felt flimsy and not well built compared to the Concept, but the C3 has reaffirmed the quality Schuberth has been known for in the past. This new C3 is actually quieter then my S1, lighter and has all the benefits of the Modulars we like. The shade is now actuated from the side of the chin bar on a slider, which I have mixed feelings about, it gets gummed up with dust easily in dust storms...grin.

Hope this helps.
post #9 of 17 Old Sep 24th, 2010, 5:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasters
Schuberth is now distributing in the US, ....
Talking about coincidence: this morning I received an email from Sierra BMW announcing the white Schuberth C3 in stock. That's good news.

Brasters: one complaint I had about the Concept and the C2 was that the leather cheekpads were not removable. How is that in the C3? How much can you pull out for cleaning?

TIA.

Robert in Northern NJ

post #10 of 17 Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 3:32 am

Id suggest you look at the C3, too.
Ive been wanting one ever since the launch nearly two years ago, but cant really justify buying a new helmet for another year or so.
The BMW System Six is basically a C3 with extra venting and unnecessary styling.
Unless anything better comes along in the next 12 months, the C3 will be my ultimate helmet.

James
post #11 of 17 Old Jan 11th, 2011, 10:39 am

Cool Re: Did you switch from Schuberth to else? Did you like it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker
Talking about coincidence: this morning I received an email from Sierra BMW announcing the white Schuberth C3 in stock. That's good news.

Brasters: one complaint I had about the Concept and the C2 was that the leather cheekpads were not removable. How is that in the C3? How much can you pull out for cleaning?

TIA.
Thay can be removed, but it takes a bit of work, because thy are integrated with the straps.
post #12 of 17 Old Jan 11th, 2011, 12:06 pm

Took the plunge- a C3 for Christmas!
Silver-grey-metallic; total diversion for me from nearly two decades of ''ard' black. Super lid. Worn once so far, but getting comfier every time I slip it on. Also transferred the autocom over with relative ease. Theres quite a bit of space between the cheek foam and the main skull padding. The only tricky part is removing a little of the edging trim where the neck curtain fits to allow the thick Autocom lead to pass through. I used a soldering-iron to melt the plastic enough.
Really happy on first impressions.

And both the cheek pads and crown are fully removeable without too much drama.

James
post #13 of 17 Old Jan 11th, 2011, 3:32 pm

Is it possible to drop the inside sun screen down if you're wearing glasses?
post #14 of 17 Old Jan 12th, 2011, 12:50 pm

I dont wear glasses, but there seems plenty of room behind the sunvisor- it must have been designed with specs wearers in mind. The sunvisor comes down about 3/4 inch or 15mm directly above the tip of my nose (and I have a heroic nose...).
Whilst the C3 doesnt have dedicated cutouts in the padding around the temple region to allow the better fitment of spectacle arms (like the Shoei Multitec), there seems plenty of space and the removeable cheek pads seem padded in a way to accomodate glasses easilly enough.

Theres no substitute for trying one on...

James
post #15 of 17 Old Jan 12th, 2011, 5:21 pm

James, did you happen to wear a Concept or C2 in the past that you can compare it to? I'm trying to make a helmet decision also. My current Concept is alright except for a couple of details. The biggest one is the sun shield doesn't go down far enough for use on the LT with it's sit-up position; it was fine on sport bikes.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #16 of 17 Old Jan 12th, 2011, 11:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez
James, did you happen to wear a Concept or C2 in the past that you can compare it to? I'm trying to make a helmet decision also. My current Concept is alright except for a couple of details. The biggest one is the sun shield doesn't go down far enough for use on the LT with it's sit-up position; it was fine on sport bikes.
I didnt have either, but having worked in a motorcycle clothing store, I did try a few on in quiet periods. Id say the C2 shield comes a little lower- but this was always a gripe for me with most of the system helmets on the market- they always touched my nose! The C3 has a formed lower edge, so its possible it comes as low as the C2, but with the piece removed by the nose you dont have problems any more. Difficult t o say without two halmets side by side for comparison.
Theres also the factor that the C3 appears to have a wider, deeper visor aperture. When riding, I did notice that there seemed quite a bit of unshielded view in the lower field of vision. However, this corresponds on the Rt to the mirrors, switchgear and speedo in my case- and so really isnt a big deal.
IIRC the C3 has a different internal shape to the C2. It seems roomier from the forehead to the rear. I used a SHoei Raid2 previously and it wasnt until the current generation of Schuberth helmets that I found them to be a comfortable fit.

James
post #17 of 17 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 10:44 am

Quote:
It seems roomier from the forehead to the rear.
Great to hear. Mine pressed hard on my forehead until I modified it.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in