BMW Contour Boots - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Feb 20th, 2006, 9:54 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

BMW Contour Boots

I picked up a pair of BMW's "Contour" boots this afternoon. They were priced at $295 ( ) but the salesman promised "a deal", which turned out to be $200 ().

So.... before I start wearing these things, a couple of questions:
1. A forums search of "contour" found them mentioned only once; does anyone have any experience with these?
2. Are they a discontinued product? They aren't mentioned on BMW's gear site, under "Riding Apparel".

The Contour boot is relatively plain (fine with me); leather, with Gore-Tex; they zip down the inboard side and have the typical Velcro flap at the top, also on the inboard side; reinforced toe for shifter (on both sides, actually, so they are symmetrical-looking). I tried them on with a pair of Gerbing socks and they very easy to slip on.

Also, a little FYI regarding Red Wing boots (Red Wing was mentioned in the thread on boots, referenced above). I've been wearing a pair of their boots for the past few months. Not really pleased with them, overall. I have the "engineer boot" style. They look nice, the quality is fine, and they are made in the U.S., but they can be tough to put on, as the "rough" side of the leather inside has lots of surface area and grabs your sock, pulling it tight over the big -- ouch!, at least for me. I think they'll be OK for summer, but they definitely do NOT have enough room for my Gerbing socks (which are thicker, and with the wires simply don't work well with the engineer-style boots.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 6:54 am

I believe those are the boots I have. Small BMW emblem on the outside top of the left one and a small Gore-Tex label on the top right. The flap on the inside of the zipper says they are made in Italy. No complaints at all. I've had them for three years and 56,000 miles and they have never leaked or let my toes get cold. The Gore-Tex lining must work. The soles seemed to wear down sooner than I thought they should but everything else about them is first rate. I liked the simple style myself, they are comfortable and I can wear them in the office if I need. I'd buy another pair if they were available but I think they have been discontinued. And, $200 is about what I paid three years ago. You'll like them. If not send them to me if they are size 45!

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #3 of 16 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 7:24 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister
I believe those are the boots I have. Small BMW emblem on the outside top of the left one and a small Gore-Tex label on the top right. The flap on the inside of the zipper says they are made in Italy. No complaints at all. I've had them for three years and 56,000 miles and they have never leaked or let my toes get cold. The Gore-Tex lining must work. The soles seemed to wear down sooner than I thought they should but everything else about them is first rate. I liked the simple style myself, they are comfortable and I can wear them in the office if I need. I'd buy another pair if they were available but I think they have been discontinued. And, $200 is about what I paid three years ago. You'll like them. If not send them to me if they are size 45!
Hi Bill, yes that describes mine. I had to laugh at the small (tiny) BMW logo -- no one is going to see that unless (a) you tuck your pants inside the boots (which some folks do), and (b) they are within 2 feet of you. But, it's a nice touch anyway. Like you, I appreciate the simplicity of the boot -- not too high-tech looking, can wear with street clothes, etc.

I wore them today on the commute to work (1 hour, 22 degrees, no Gerbing socks). My toes were definitely cold, but not as cold as my plain leather (i.e., non-Gore Tex) Red Wing m/c boots would let them get. No complaints. I have the Gerbing Comfort socks but did not wear them today intentionally, in order to get a "reading" on the warmth of these new boots.

Thanks for your comments.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

post #4 of 16 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 8:32 am

I have a pair and love them.
My toes get cold on occasion, but not wet.

Very comfortable.

The plain styling is one of the things I like.

When its time to replace them, some of the Sidi's look comparable.

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #5 of 16 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 8:39 am
Senior Member (ret.)

I have them. They are very comfortable. If anyone is looking to buy one, go to www.ascycles.com and check out their price on their remaining inventory.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #6 of 16 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 8:46 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
I have them. They are very comfortable. If anyone is looking to buy one, go to www.ascycles.com and check out their price on their remaining inventory.
Wow... if you have them, I feel totally validated!

Good info, Raffy; thanks. Interesting that they had 2 slightly different Contour boot models. The second one is the style I have -- slightly different styling and material on the front of the boot, above the arch of the foot; this is the area where the boot would flex during walking, for example. Also interesting that they are even cheaper at this site than what I paid for them yesterday.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #7 of 16 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 9:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I wore them today on the commute to work (1 hour, 22 degrees, no Gerbing socks). My toes were definitely cold, but not as cold as my plain leather (i.e., non-Gore Tex) Red Wing m/c boots would let them get. No complaints. I have the Gerbing Comfort socks but did not wear them today intentionally, in order to get a "reading" on the warmth of these new boots.
WOW! a fellow 'cold rider'. Luckily my commute doesn't have to be as long as yours, but my LT is sooooo comfortable to ride that often I take a longer route to and from work. As for foot wear, I've been riding with a pair of Payless ankle high hiking boots with Smartwool socks (most amazing sock I've ever worn!). My feet stay nice and toasty as long as I don't 'dip' my toe(s) below the lower fairing.
V/R

Dave Frederick

Clinton UT
'05 Light Yellow Metallic LT

'05 Monochromatic Mulberry Red Triumph Rocket III

'12 Triple Black R1200GSA
post #8 of 16 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 9:06 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walilisseu
WOW! a fellow 'cold rider'. Luckily my commute doesn't have to be as long as yours, but my LT is sooooo comfortable to ride that often I take a longer route to and from work. As for foot wear, I've been riding with a pair of Payless ankle high hiking boots with Smartwool socks (most amazing sock I've ever worn!). My feet stay nice and toasty as long as I don't 'dip' my toe(s) below the lower fairing.
V/R
Hey Dave,
I've used Smartwools before, when backpacking. I NEVER THOUGHT of using them on the bike. Doh!! Good call -- thanks.

I must have a different riding style -- my toes feel like they are always in the wind. We'll see what happens after I install Ilium Works' shift extension and brake pedal replacement. I find these are necessary after having the foot pegs lowered.

Thanks for the tips.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #9 of 16 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 9:59 pm

Thumbs up Contour Plus

I have the Contour Plus model and the boots are great. I have been through significant rain without my feet getting wet. The leather is breaking in very nice and they are getting more comfortable to walk in. So far I am really impressed with the boot. The style difference with the Contour Plus is they have a lace up instead of a zipper. I like the lace up because the boot fits my leg better. Enjoy.
post #10 of 16 Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 7:06 pm

[FONT=Century Gothic]New member.I Own a 2003 K1200LT and a 1998 R1200C.

In response to the question concerning boots: I have several pairs ranging from two Harley Davidson brand boots a pair of above the ankle cowboy work boots, a pair of engineers boots and the one I wear most is a pair of Earth Shoe boots I bought at Wal mart for ten bucks. They are warm (I have tested them down to 35 degrees) and they are waterproof (also tested). What ever boot you choose that fits and you like is the one to buy. Cost is not the measure of the value of a boot.

Good luck in your boot search and keep riding.

Brady

w
post #11 of 16 Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 7:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

My contours are 6 years old as I figure.................
No complaints

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #12 of 16 Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 9:53 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Hi Howard:

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. Say hi to Caity for me.

Several of us here in the left coast have them they are very comfortable (I wear them at work) and give good protection from the elements.

After 3 years the protector from the shifter started to break apart. I still wear it.

Let me know if you have additional questions.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #13 of 16 Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 6:26 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
Hi Howard:

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. Say hi to Caity for me.

Several of us here in the left coast have them they are very comfortable (I wear them at work) and give good protection from the elements.

After 3 years the protector from the shifter started to break apart. I still wear it.

Let me know if you have additional questions.
Hey Raffy,

Thanks, and I'll do that.

This thread has apparently been resurrected. I bought the boots almost 2 years ago and wear them exclusively when riding, so I guess I'll keep them.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #14 of 16 Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 9:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranks
When its time to replace them, some of the Sidi's look comparable.
Once you buy SIDIs, there's no looking back.
post #15 of 16 Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 9:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
This thread has apparently been resurrected.
I HATE when that happens. I typically look at the date os the first post...missed it this time. Oh well. Happy belated Turkey Day Howard.
post #16 of 16 Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 9:16 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I HATE when that happens. I typically look at the date os the first post...missed it this time. Oh well. Happy belated Turkey Day Howard.
No worries -- I've resurrected a few myself, especially during my first few months on this site.

And a Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, Joseph!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in