Rev'it Sand Jacket & Pants - any one use? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Aug 5th, 2010, 12:19 pm Thread Starter

Question Rev'it Sand Jacket & Pants - any one use?

Has anyone have any first hand experience with the Rev'it brand Jacket/pants? Particularly interested in the "Sand " jacket&pants. How do the compare to the pricey BMW gear?

Fit/comfort?

Quality?

Versatility for different conditions/temps?

(yes, I've searched and read postings - but the Sand Jacket/Pants are new in 2010, so thought there might be some recent experiences with them)

Thanks!

Scott

In the garage:
'12 K1600 GTL (took delivery 5/25)
'12 Ducati Monster EVO 1100
'08 Big Dog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX 500 Deluxe (restored)

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Aug 6th, 2010, 6:06 am

Re: Rev'it Sand Jacket & Pants - any one use?

Here's some information on the jacket, Web Bike World

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #3 of 15 Old Aug 9th, 2010, 4:34 pm

I have the Air jacket and Dakar pants for a few seasons. Last fall I bought a Cayenne Pro jacket and all three have the light gray color scheme. I think they are all good products however I have not seen the 'Sand' line. I was reading some comments on the Revzilla website about some issues with them. Not sure if you saw them.

Only one complaint I had with the Air Jacket was their sleeve closure strap. It had velco all the way and it caught the mesh fabric and frayed it very bad. I gave it a hair cut and placed some loop permanently on the existing sleeve closure strap so only the ends had the loops and problem fixed. IMHO a design defect.

The light gray color scheme does tend to get dirty on collar and sleeves so I have washed the Air jacket twice now. Looks brand new after washing but the water resistant finish was washed off and needed to be redone. First time I washed it I used Scotchgard and it didn't work. The second time I washed it I used NicWax and that looks real good. Even though there is a waterproof underlining you really need the water repellent finish to keep the jack from getting soaked in a thunder storm.

I would assume the 'Sand' line will be the same. The combo that I have has multiple liners in each article and with the waterproof membrane the gear is hot above 85 degrees because you don't get air circulating. However if the night temps drop below 70 degrees you need the waterproof membrane to keep the jacket comfortable.

I have not had any quality issues with any of the 5 or 6 Rev'it items I bought. I looked at the BMW stuff and although Rev'it and BMW apparel is similar in price (usually 15% lower) and function I find Rev'it to be lighter in weight. Weight isn't much of a problem with temps below 70 degrees but above I find it objectionable.

Any BMW apparel that I have bought was also very durable and IMHO worth the price. I found Rev'it of good quality and generally lighter and if I buy it right at a somewhat discounted price. This stuff can get really expensive. The biggest problem I found with Rev'it is getting the correct size. Thankfully I have not had a chance to check the crash worthiness of these products.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

post #4 of 15 Old Aug 9th, 2010, 6:05 pm

I have the Ignition jacket and Gear pant

and the Turbine jakcet and turbine pant.

Love 'em both. The Igniton and Gear I had to go up one size. the turbine's both fit at usual size.
Even though the Turbine piees are mesh and textile over about 82 degrees they still are a bit warm. althohg I have my V-stream windshield on still and may need to switch to stock for summer.

the Air jacket did not fit well and does not have full padding like the my other 2.

igniton and Gear a combo of Leather and dynax Mesh

Turbine Combo of dynax mesh, Cordura 1000 and superfabric and Prolife Armor. I put a sas-Tec back protector in both of my jackets.

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #5 of 15 Old Aug 11th, 2010, 9:24 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
I have the Air jacket and Dakar pants for a few seasons. Last fall I bought a Cayenne Pro jacket and all three have the light gray color scheme. I think they are all good products however I have not seen the 'Sand' line. I was reading some comments on the Revzilla website about some issues with them. Not sure if you saw them.

Only one complaint I had with the Air Jacket was their sleeve closure strap. It had velco all the way and it caught the mesh fabric and frayed it very bad. I gave it a hair cut and placed some loop permanently on the existing sleeve closure strap so only the ends had the loops and problem fixed. IMHO a design defect.

The light gray color scheme does tend to get dirty on collar and sleeves so I have washed the Air jacket twice now. Looks brand new after washing but the water resistant finish was washed off and needed to be redone. First time I washed it I used Scotchgard and it didn't work. The second time I washed it I used NicWax and that looks real good. Even though there is a waterproof underlining you really need the water repellent finish to keep the jack from getting soaked in a thunder storm.

I would assume the 'Sand' line will be the same. The combo that I have has multiple liners in each article and with the waterproof membrane the gear is hot above 85 degrees because you don't get air circulating. However if the night temps drop below 70 degrees you need the waterproof membrane to keep the jacket comfortable.

I have not had any quality issues with any of the 5 or 6 Rev'it items I bought. I looked at the BMW stuff and although Rev'it and BMW apparel is similar in price (usually 15% lower) and function I find Rev'it to be lighter in weight. Weight isn't much of a problem with temps below 70 degrees but above I find it objectionable.

Any BMW apparel that I have bought was also very durable and IMHO worth the price. I found Rev'it of good quality and generally lighter and if I buy it right at a somewhat discounted price. This stuff can get really expensive. The biggest problem I found with Rev'it is getting the correct size. Thankfully I have not had a chance to check the crash worthiness of these products.
Jack,
Thanks for taking the time and sharing your personal experience - it is helpful as you know the investment in this kind of gear isn't something we take lightly, so it is good to get candid feedback. You mentioned how the lighter colors soil more easily, and so if you were do do it again, would you go with the black, rather than the lighter colors? The look is much more adventure/rally with the lighter colors, not to mention aiding being seen by cagers over black garments.

One of the reasons I'm considering Revit is that they have broader sizing beyond the typical M, L, XL, XXL. I'm thin and long legged, so I like the fact they have longer lengths available in the smaller waist sizes. (unlike BMW gear) I do have a pair of Aerostich pants for cold weather and rain, but they are over-pants so they fit more like a snowmobile suit would fit. Otherwise I wear jeans (kevlar reinforced, but still just jeans) and vanson leather jacket. I do have a textile jacket, but again it is for cold weather. I moved to AZ from MN, so I'm looking for textile that would work in warmer and cooler weather. While the really hot weather is a different scenario all together, the removable liners seem like they would provide some more flexibility. Are they a hassle to take in and out? I have also considered just carrying more than one jacket and pants rather than trying to find one set that would handle the summer warmth, mountain cold, and rain.

I

Scott

In the garage:
'08 Big Dog Pitbull

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

post #6 of 15 Old Aug 11th, 2010, 4:17 pm

The Air Jacket does not list any waterproof coating at all in the Rev'it catalog and that jakcet is an entierly different kettle of fish then the Sand or turbine line.

the Sand and Turbine line are much more durable and substantial garments made of entirely different material and waterproof coatings (The Sand even more so from a waterproof standpoint) then the Turbine.

Also Air has only Level 1 padding. When I tried it in it seemed clammy and not very breathable and didn't seem much cooler the my Ignition or Turbine!

For warmer weather I would only wear the light color. My Turbine has sayed remarkably dirt free and when i did get a couple of spots on it a warm damp cloth took it right off.

I was going to buy an Air jacket until I tried the Turbine Jacket and pant on. Yes they are more expensive as the Air is only $189.00 and the Turbine on sale right now at Revzilla.com I believe is $309.00

But the quality, durability and features of the Sand and Turbine belittle the cheap little Air jacket.

My Ignition and gear pant are Black Leather with Dynax Light Gray Mesh and the Turbine is a Light Silver Cordura with Dynax light gray mesh with black accents.

You should check out www.revzilla.com. they provide very informative videos on many of these products so you can compare them.

I have no affliation with any Motorcycle company nor clothing provider. I do own a clothing store and deal with fabrics all the time.

Last edited by Atomicman; Aug 11th, 2010 at 8:49 pm.
post #7 of 15 Old Aug 11th, 2010, 8:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreeze
Jack,
Thanks for taking the time and sharing your personal experience - it is helpful as you know the investment in this kind of gear isn't something we take lightly, so it is good to get candid feedback. You mentioned how the lighter colors soil more easily, and so if you were do do it again, would you go with the black, rather than the lighter colors? The look is much more adventure/rally with the lighter colors, not to mention aiding being seen by cagers over black garments.
I
I have had the Air Jacket for a few years now and it might be different on what they are selling now. I think I paid $299 and was around the BMW garment prices.. It has CE approved hard padding in the shoulder and elbow and a back pad that IMHO only kept the heat in. The zip in Gore-Tex wannabe liner will keep you dry in a full rain. Like most of the gear there is a water resistant spray applied to the fabric when manufactured and that keeps the jacket from retaining moisture in a light rain or keeping the moisture after the rain stops. What is really good for me is the same armor fits all the jackets so I can move it from Jacket to jacket and only carry one set of armor and use it in what I wear and the other jacket folds small.

The light color is what attracted me to the jacket because I had a FirstGear MeshTex II, as my original summer jacket, and that was really cool even when temps got into the high 90's provided you had some forward motion. I can get caught in traffic in NYC or New Jersey or on I-95 or I-84 and stopped dead even with the great heat management of the LT can be a chore and take any fun out of riding for work.

The light gray gets dirty and since I have done the NickWax I have not been in any rain. However water beads now on the fabric where it didn't with the Scotchgard. Takes me three days to wash air dry and re-coat the jacket with the rain resistant coating.

I will never buy another dark riding jacket or pants. I have a full First Gear Black Leather suit, I bought in the early 90's and as you can guess it is hot, still in the closet. It fits and if I ever get a HD I will be right in style. Jus have to find a way to put a rag on my helmet. When I see anyone riding in 80+ degrees with a black anything feel sorry for them I understand why they are hot. I also have a Revzilla 'Scout' winter jacket (bought it first year Rev'it sold anything in the US) which is predominantly dark charcoal gray and I special ordered a black pair of pants to go with it from Rev'it. They were only available in Europe and they were great in the colder months but were nasty in the summer. The waterproof membrane liner was not removable so it was hot. I should have ordered the longer length. If you have long legs order the longest available. I converted the metric sizes to inches and the short was my pant inseam. Great length when I walk but shows more boot than I would like riding. The regular would have been better and the longer probably would have been too long.

Bottom line the light gray has so much heat advantage over the darker colors I recommend it without hesitation. The multiple liners for mine are really good and pretty much interchangeable. They don't all zip or snap in every combo that I have but they work. I use my LT for work and I work all over the northeast. I carry a complete set of hot to cold gear (even electrics) except for July and early August. I never know when I will be coming home very late. Even in late August or early June in the northeast 3 or 4 AM it can get pretty cold riding for a couple of hundred miles.

This is what my summer gear looked like this year on the Dragon. I was working there also...

Good luck on your choice of gear.

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

Last edited by jackd; Aug 11th, 2010 at 8:27 pm.
post #8 of 15 Old Aug 11th, 2010, 8:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
The Air Jacket does not list any waterproof coating at all in the Rev'it catalog and that jakcet is an entierly different kettle of fish then the Sand or turbine line.
It is not water proof.. only water resistant.. Water beads but you will eventually need the membrane liner.

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #9 of 15 Old Aug 11th, 2010, 8:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
It is not water proof.. only water resistant.. Water beads but you will eventually need the membrane liner.
The current Air jacket must be a totally different jacket then what you have. It has no removable waterproof liner.

It is Rev'it's lightest weight "Summer" only jacket. It is not even water resistant. they list no waterproof/resitant or any coating at all.

The Turbine jakcet does not have a waterproof breathable liner either, but the pants do.

The Ignition jacket has 2 additional zip out liners. One insulated and one waterproof,breathable (which can be worn simultaneously) and the Gear pants have a zip out waterproof breathable liner.

We are definetly describing 2 different AIR jackets!

Last edited by Atomicman; Aug 11th, 2010 at 9:45 pm.
post #10 of 15 Old Aug 11th, 2010, 10:44 pm Thread Starter

Good info. The collective experience is invaluable. Thanks!!!

Scott

In the garage:
'08 Big Dog Pitbull

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

post #11 of 15 Old Aug 13th, 2010, 7:09 am

Just a general update, but WebBikeWorld have just announced that Rev'It has gained Gore approval and will be launching new state of the art jackets from the end of the year- with LIFETIME waterproofing Guarantee!!!

James
post #12 of 15 Old Aug 13th, 2010, 12:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by japachap
Just a general update, but WebBikeWorld have just announced that Rev'It has gained Gore approval and will be launching new state of the art jackets from the end of the year- with LIFETIME waterproofing Guarantee!!!
Interesting. Perhaps we will see Rev'It cut their prices on their non-Goretex products as they release those with Goretex.

Thanks.

Scott

In the garage:
'08 Big Dog Pitbull

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

post #13 of 15 Old Aug 13th, 2010, 2:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
The current Air jacket must be a totally different jacket then what you have. It has no removable waterproof liner.

It is Rev'it's lightest weight "Summer" only jacket. It is not even water resistant. they list no waterproof/resitant or any coating at all.

The Turbine jakcet does not have a waterproof breathable liner either, but the pants do.

The Ignition jacket has 2 additional zip out liners. One insulated and one waterproof,breathable (which can be worn simultaneously) and the Gear pants have a zip out waterproof breathable liner.

We are definitely describing 2 different AIR jackets!
Yes, You are correct. I looked at the Revit website and catalog and I'm not impressed with the Air Jacket. It looks similar in function to a Dainese Jacket I looked at. That jacket was a mesh container for armor. It would have been great for a month or so in the northeast. However it was available in a silver or black and I could not find one to actually try on.

The tag on the inside of my jacket says it is an 'Airforce'. My mistake. I don't think I would buy an 'Air' jacket. My jacket is more like the Turbine jacket.

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #14 of 15 Old Aug 14th, 2010, 1:38 am

Another good compromise summer jacket- this time from Bering. Fully-vented with a removeable fluoro waterproof overjacket that (if anything like a product of theirs from a few years back) should stow in a built-in bum pouch.

http://www.bering.fr/index.php?act=f...duit&idp=23553

James
post #15 of 15 Old Aug 25th, 2010, 2:02 pm Thread Starter

Update to my original post:

After much investigation and deliberation, I decided to give the Rev'IT Sand Jacket and Sand Pants a try. Unfortunately, my particular size of pant wasn't available anyplace as they have been on back order for a few months (revzilla, motorcycle superstore, Beach Moto) but the guys at Beach Moto http://www.beachmoto.com/index.php offered to upgrade me to the Cayenne Pants (priced at $399 rather than the $299 of the Sand Pants) for no extra cost.

I made it worth his while as I also bought the Sand Jacket (they had the color/size I wanted in stock) and a pair of their high tech Tour Summer socks, so they weren't exactly losing money on me (since you know there is good margin on clothing). Free shipping, no tax, willing to help a guy out as they did. Kudos to Beach Moto.

I will provide another update once I get the gear and give it a try.

Scott

In the garage:
'08 Big Dog Pitbull

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in