Scorpian EXO 900 Helmet too tight around the ears - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 6:13 am Thread Starter

Scorpian EXO 900 Helmet too tight around the ears

I've got a new Scorpian Flip Helmet / Large, that seems to be a little too tight around my ears when I have on sunglasses and am thinking about trimming the foam inside the pads, inside of the ear area. I've contacted the company and they don't make a thinner cheek pad replacement. This particular helmet also has an inflatable pad around the collar that is also part of the cheek pad.

Anyone ever try to reduce the padding area? I'll probably have to slit the seam, pull out the padding, reduce it's thickness, reinsert and then sew it up. The entire cheek pad is removable so working with it shouldn't be too difficult. Just looking for other possible suggestions before I start to cut away. I've already hot soldered the foam around the ear area to fit in speakers so they are not sticking out and really do seem to fit well.

Just another thought, does anyone ride without some sort of glasses inside the helmet? I've always either worn sunglasses or at night clear safety glasses for protection, even with a full helmet and face shield. The Scorpion manufacture even suggested not wearing the glasses. The helmet has a sun visor. Seems from a safety point of view, even with a windshield and helmet visor, safety glasses would be prudent.

Name:	31CPHGPhr+L._SS500_.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	28272  

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 7:17 am

Re: Scorpian EXO 900 Helmet too tight around the ears

Dan,
I was looking at that helmet but decided against it because of the weight.
That being said, I would NOT cut into the pads, yet.
I would buy (or have the co. send free) an extra set of cheek pads and wet them (not soak) with some distilled water then stack some books with a towel on them until dry. They will compress & conform to your ear & head shape quicker.
Eye glass trick I read about and my brother tried and said it works;
Cut off the ear pieces and smooth the ends of your sunglasses (or prescription) to the length of your temples, start long and trim as needed. It is not uncommon for one ear to be off of the other so the lengths may be different.
Good luck, let us know the overall performance of the Scorpion once broke in.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 7:27 am
cwo

Howdy

I have the same helmet, and have the same problem. I removed the inserts, soaked them in water, then clamped them between two pieces of plywood. Seems to help a little.

The weight of the helmet is also a concern. I used to get a sore neck after several hours of riding. That problem seemed to go away after a couple of weeks.

Keep us posted.... I may want to remove some foam if that works out.

Chris Ogle

Life is ephemeral. Don't waste it lookin up big words.

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 10:01 am
Gold Supporter

Hello Dan,

phydough's "wife" here~

I have reduced the pads in our helmets due to severe ear pinching. I performed ear pad surgery on a trip from Mi to So. Dakota. We had to go to a Walmart for a seam ripper and a hot glue gun. It worked.

You do need to be careful and open a small portion as you go, being careful to avoid the inflatable membrane. I cut out the top portion of the pad where it offended our ears and used a low- temp hot glue gun to seal the seems back together. We have relief. Now we like our helmets...

We also added ear speakers and had to cut out in that area to get them to fit so we know what you are working with.
and.......the red release tab for the flip up face shield broke off on Jeff's helmet, Scorpion sent me replacements for both our helmets and I just replaced those as well.
But it is an upgrade and much better piece. Scorpion co. was great !
PM us if you want more discussion. Deb

Still -
Just a dog without a bone ~...............

CCR '09 Great trip!, 2010 Miles of smiles, 2011 Can this possibly get better? 2012 a Superior trip!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT - ZZ Trailer
1983 R100
BMWMOA #158807 Michiana BMW Club #122
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 10:18 am Thread Starter

I'm doing a little skydiving today and managed to take a break to see if there were any responses...... I'm impressed and want to thank everyone for the tips and advise on the helmet. When I get home later today I'm going to try to compress the wet ear pieces for a day to see if that makes a difference first. I've worn the helmet for several hours and didn't notice the weight, but the ears were really too tight. Thanks again for the advise. Can't wait to give it a try.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 9:23 pm

Dan..
I've formed mine on my Scorpion and others..

Back "in the day" I used my mom's travel iron to flatten the sides... but that left the foam a little "crispy".

When I flew R/C airplanes I used Monokote covering.. and had a nice small "iron" that was covered with teflon... it worked much better... as I could control the heat easier and it was smaller...so I could be selective about what I 'crispied'.

Today, I just pull the foam and "trim" with an electric knife... then reinsert.. I figure, if the manuf. will sell different thicknesses, it's ok to trim.. .. also, I am only adjusting where there is too much pressure.

Now, when the problem is the "foam", I usually crush with my knuckles....only in the area I need it.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in