More ways than one to stay cool! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 2:39 pm Thread Starter

More ways than one to stay cool!

Here's a link that has tons of additional links for ways to stay cool while using the various types of cooling vests found on the market!

I'm in the early stages of designing a recirculating cooling vest using 3/16" - 1/4" clear tubing, 90 degree elbows, reducers, and a 12 volt pump system (pulse, constant, or variable switching). It looks easy enough....just need to do a few refinements.

What would be really cool is to find a pump system that draws <.5-1.5 amps (?) so I can adapt a solar panel system as a constant power for a recirculating pump....not a bad idea since the majority of the time you use it is in the daytime! "Coolant" recharge would come when you stop for gas....just go to the coke machines, fill a handy cup you carry around with you with lots of ice...and pour it into the top of the attached hydration pack! I haven't done much looking yet....still limited in my mobility....this is what happens when you have nothing but time on your hands!

Has anyone already made their own homemade version that they'd like to share on the forum....or on this thread?

Yes....I know there are several manufacturers of this type of concept and its not new.....but at <$60 for a home-made version vs. >$300 for a marketed version.....just thinking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 4:32 pm

Re: More ways than one to stay cool!

I don't think a cup full of ice is going to do it.. Capacity = Time... Most of the real ones use an ice chest that you put a block or two of ice in..... That's Capacity.....And insulated lines to and from the vest...

There are several on the market at this time.

Good Luck with yours...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #3 of 4 Old Aug 10th, 2010, 1:06 am

Kenny, this has been something of a passion for me as I HATE the FREAKIN' HEAT!!! I too like to think about ways to design functional items for my own use.

Here is where I'm at. I work at a large medical center where we are required to use recirculating warm water to provide localized topical heat to our patients. Electric heating pads cannot be used because they have the potential to develop hot spots and if a thermostat fails there is the risk of burns,

What we use is a pump with a thermostatically controlled heater and quick release hoses (they don't stop the flow when they are unplugged) and a heating pad that is full of channels.

The pads are a single use item. Patient is discharged and the pads are thrown away. I have had housekeeping keep an eye out for clean (no bodily fluids) pads which they collect for me. I then clean them with an alcohol based cleaner and then with a sodium hypochlorite solution to kill any pathogens. The pads range in size from about 14"X16" up to body length and approx 2' width. these pads could be stitched at the borders to a thin t-shirt with your riding gear going over the top.

What I need to find are self sealing quick dis-connects for 1/4" hoses and a pump that would have the duty cycle to stay intact over a long period of time.

Right now I have a 12V windshield washer pump but I wouldn't trust it over the long haul. An emergency 12V submersible aquarium pump would be ideal.

I would be more than willing to send you some of the heating pads if you are interested. Just pm me if you want me to send you some samples or to just send you a couple pictures. My supply is virtually limitless.

I built an evaporative cooling vest that works great in the low humidity part of the world I live in. It will easily last more than 12 hours once it is hydrated. I tested it one 97*F day and in 1 1/2 hours it lost only 4 ounces when worn under Olympian mesh gear. It is heavy but very effective. It weighs 15.1 ozs dry and over 9 lbs wet. The weight never bothered me when I was riding

I feel the best solution will ultimately be phase change technology. They are reasonable to buy at about $140 with one set of phase change packs and about $100 for another set of packs. They recharge in 15 minutes in ice water and last around 2 - 3 hours in use. Their temperature is constant as they go from a solid back to a liquid.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

post #4 of 4 Old Aug 10th, 2010, 10:31 pm

Garage

Kenny, you are not off the mark here. My wife had shoulder surgery and came home with a small ice chest with a recirculating pump. this was connected with two insulated tubes up to a plastic harness that covered the shoulder. The ice chest takes about three trays of ice and filled with water.That and another member here in Sac is barking up the same tree. albeit, no where near starting in on the project... keep us posted, it can be done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
I don't think a cup full of ice is going to do it.. Capacity = Time... Most of the real ones use an ice chest that you put a block or two of ice in..... That's Capacity.....And insulated lines to and from the vest...
John

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in