Phase Changing Cool Vests - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jun 21st, 2010, 7:20 pm Thread Starter

Phase Changing Cool Vests

Anyone here have any experience with them? Good? Not? What?

With temps hanging in the 100 plus areas - I may be doing good spending the $150 or so for one.

I had a Marsee and it was fine but in our dry climate, it didn't last long and I hated being wet.

Opinions?

I saw the vest thread from June last year but it doesn't address Phase Change.

Steve Aikens
2007 R1200RT
2015 R1200RTW
IBA# 442
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jun 21st, 2010, 7:46 pm

Re: Phase Changing Cool Vests

I have one and it is better than nothing, but what I really want is a Veskimo or a cool shirt. In my experience, in very hot weather, I receive a few minutes of coolness, then I acclimate to the temp of the medium and I'm not so cool anymore. It does keep my core temp down, but I'm still uncomfortably hot. But then, I'm not a warm weather person. I live in MN because I like the weather.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #3 of 13 Old Jun 21st, 2010, 7:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnata
I have one and it is better than nothing, but what I really want is a Veskimo or a cool shirt. In my experience, in very hot weather, I receive a few minutes of coolness, then I acclimate to the temp of the medium and I'm not so cool anymore. It does keep my core temp down, but I'm still uncomfortably hot. But then, I'm not a warm weather person. I live in MN because I like the weather.

You only found it "better than nothing?"

I had one that was given to me by a firefighter friend--if essentially strapping ice around your torso isn't enough to keep you cool, then you shouldn't be out riding.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.

post #4 of 13 Old Jun 21st, 2010, 8:11 pm

Stated with the evaporative vest, then the phase change vest.
The PCM vest will provide more consistent cooling than the evaporative vest.
Downside is they're bulky, only last an hour or so,
and requires another set of PCM in a cooler
recharging for swap out with the expended one.
Yes, it only takes about fifteen minutes to recharge in ice water.
Used mine for about two years.

Bought the Veskimo three years ago.
Started with the backpack cooling system,
then switched to the 9 quart two years ago.
Worth every penny.
The backpack lasts about two hours, the 9 quart a solid five to six hours.
Even if all the ice is gone,
the ice water is still about twenty degrees below body temp.
You'll know when the ice is almost gone.
It's very cool, but not cold.
I used my infrared laser thermometer
to check out the temperatures at various points on the cooling vest.
Readings were between 65 and 67 degrees consistently throughout the vest.

For me, it's effectively eliminated the decision point on whether it's too hot to ride.
Went out on Saturday and Sunday with temps in the high 90's with real feel up to 103.
Always ride with ATGATT and wasn't phased.
Went out for a ride at 1500, yesterday, just because I could.
Came back three hours later, just as comfortable as when I left.
Love the 9 quart cooler.

Hope this helps.
e-Mail Kurt, the owner.
Very helpful and informative.

Here a link to a previous thread: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46008

Last edited by LT_Pilot; Jun 21st, 2010 at 8:19 pm.
post #5 of 13 Old Jun 21st, 2010, 10:20 pm

These cooling vests work great! Here is a website that has tons of other options for evaporative type vests. Here are some circulating type vest systems.

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

Last edited by BlauBeeMr; Jun 21st, 2010 at 10:25 pm.
post #6 of 13 Old Jun 21st, 2010, 10:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
You only found it "better than nothing?"

I had one that was given to me by a firefighter friend--if essentially strapping ice around your torso isn't enough to keep you cool, then you shouldn't be out riding.
Yes, were it actual ice, I'm sure I wouldn't have the opinion that I do, but it is 55 degree ice. I wouldn't buy another one.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #7 of 13 Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 8:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnata
Yes, were it actual ice, I'm sure I wouldn't have the opinion that I do, but it is 55 degree ice. I wouldn't buy another one.

Ahhh, I see you're in Minnesota--just as you define "cold" differently than us in the south, we define "hot" differently than you guys in the frozen tundra!

Well, don't come down here to Dallas, it's been 100 for a week now.

I guess you could swing over to Wal-Mart and pick up six "blue-ice" freezer/cooler packs and put those in the pockets of your vest. Might end up with frostbite on your nipples, but would definitely keep you cool

post #8 of 13 Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 9:08 am

Quote:
Ahhh, I see you're in Minnesota--just as you define "cold" differently than us in the south, we define "hot" differently than you guys in the frozen tundra!

Well, don't come down here to Dallas, it's been 100 for a week now.

I guess you could swing over to Wal-Mart and pick up six "blue-ice" freezer/cooler packs and put those in the pockets of your vest. Might end up with frostbite on your nipples, but would definitely keep you cool
Haha! Yes, I'm a weenie when it comes to riding in the heat. The phase change will keep me from getting heat exhaustion, but with all the gear on in humid weather, I'm still pretty uncomfortable. Nice thing about MN is that we do get some cooler weather in the summer, but I prolly do most of my riding in the fall, spring & winter.

I'll be in Tulsa next week. My buddy just got a K1200RS, so I might bring my gear and pcv to see how I do on the RS.

Frostbite on the nips, actually sounds pretty good about now!

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #9 of 13 Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 9:42 am

I love my Silver Eagle cooling vest (evaporative). Holds more moisture than others I've used. Lasts a good 45-60 minutes in extreme heat, and then a quick soak, and you're back on the road. I carry trash compactor bags with heavy clips to store until needed - and quickly recharge. The heaviness of the trash compactor bags allows you to actually carry water for soaking, should you be heading into a barren, inhospitable landscape - like Tucson!

Most of my riding is two up, and we get off every hour anyway.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #10 of 13 Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 1:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
I love my Silver Eagle cooling vest (evaporative). Holds more moisture than others I've used. Lasts a good 45-60 minutes in extreme heat, and then a quick soak, and you're back on the road. I carry trash compactor bags with heavy clips to store until needed - and quickly recharge. The heaviness of the trash compactor bags allows you to actually carry water for soaking, should you be heading into a barren, inhospitable landscape - like Tucson!

Most of my riding is two up, and we get off every hour anyway.

bragger

post #11 of 13 Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 2:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
bragger
Lucky bragger. I admit I don't get that lucky, that often.

Steve Aikens
2007 R1200RT
2015 R1200RTW
IBA# 442
post #12 of 13 Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 2:52 pm

Quote:
bragger
Hey, at least I didn't mention that we typically go for hours and hours, no matter how hot it gets...

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #13 of 13 Old Jul 17th, 2010, 4:39 pm

I am new to the forum and a new (to me) LT owner. I don't want to use this forum as an advertisement for my company but I do own a manufacturing company of phase change cooling vests for the Industrial Safety Industry. We OEM the phase change cooling vests for DuPont Protective Apparel, Kappler USA, Lakeland Industries, Occunomix International, Texas Cool Vest and several other companies. My Dad started a website last year for GoldWing riders and has been very successful. I designed the vest configuration as I am an avid motorcyclist and wear one every day that I ride one of my bikes to the shop when it is hot......when is it not in DFW Texas???? His website is www.coolwingrider.com and he also owns the URL www.coolbmwrider.com as I informed him of the superiority of the K1200LT when compared to the GoldWing. Last month, I submitted an article for WingWorld and they published it. You can read it on my Dad's site under the "how the body cools" tab.

I have been in the Industrial Safety Heat Mitigation business for 16+ years now and am extremely knowledgeable about all of the technologies available as well as what is on the horizon. Please feel free to shoot me a PM or respond to this thread if you have any questions. By the way, Dad will honor the GoldWing (GL1800) forum special to anyone from this forum....just put K1200LT in the notes section of the order form. Also, here is a link to a video done by a news network covering phase change vests in Houston....good generic information with regards to this technology. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiBMelQgEco

I refuse to tip-toe gingerly through life only to arrive safely at death!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in