Where To Buy Motorcycle Pants That Don't - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Apr 6th, 2010, 10:10 am Thread Starter

Where To Buy Motorcycle Pants That Don't

I ordered a pair of pants and jacket from www.jafrum.com, and the jacket seems to be a keeper but the pants look like I am ready for an artic ride - therefore, gettting sent back.

Here is my question, I checked on the forum for suppliers, but I prefer to hear from you guys on which brand/model are thinner and natural looking.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Glenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Apr 6th, 2010, 11:10 am

Rev'It

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern_nj
...which brand/model are thinner and natural looking...
Glenn: Vanity is a big thing with me, too...

So, over the years, I migrated with all my stuff from various brands, including BMW, to Rev'it. At this point, I have their full-on adventure suit, a summer suit, gloves (very good), boots. My wife also has at least two different garments from them. Wow - I did not even realize how much of that Kool-Aide I drank... I do have other high-end stuff in my closet as well, but Rev'it gets used most often.

Having the same problem as you, I have tried almost every brand-name but most felt quite bulky and/or stiff. My problem, beyond vanity, is that I am fairly short (at least compared to the slim & trim giants seen in apparel advertisements): 5'6" with 30" inseam and most pants were to long for me.

Rev'it makes a whole series of sizes, you should be able to find something that fits. The summer suit has a breathable, removable thin GoreTex-like wind-stopping liner. The all-weather suit has a waterproof liner and a fairly thin thermal liner - also good looking.

By the way, I am not a big believer in waterproof liners and generally use those only for added warmth in very low temperatures. These are too cumbersome to put on/off as the weather changes - you need to get completely undressed - and you wind up with wet riding suit on top. So, I use a Fieldsheer rainsuit on top of the Rev'it all-weather suit. The summer suit is much more svelte, so I use a thin BMW rainsuit over that one.

Anyway, being in South Jersey, you can check out all that stuff for yourself. The big mail-order dealer is Revzilla; they have a warehouse in Philly and you can go and see what they have in person. They are open only on certain days/hours - check before you go. Here is Revzilla's Philadelphia Store. They have good prices and fast shipping - as well as a generous exchange policy. BTDT.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rdwalker; Apr 6th, 2010 at 1:13 pm.
post #3 of 11 Old Apr 6th, 2010, 11:16 am

Re: Where To Buy Motorcycle Pants That Don't

Yea, I ordered a pair of their 40+ dollar insulated riding pants, they had some nice features, zip out liner, padding at knees and hips, but the crotch hung down low, and made my pant legs too short when I straddled the bike. I sent them back because I really didn't want to have to take my boots off everytime I wanted to remove the riding pants...I too would like to find some decent pants that I can fully unzip the sides to remove (not the pull and toss type like strippers use.....lol) I liked that the Jafrum pants were reasonably priced, but I guess the old addage about getting what you pay for may have some merit in this case.

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old Apr 6th, 2010, 12:16 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all your insight. And yes, looking good sometime is better than feeling good. Robert: Thanks for the note on that place in Philly as I am 20 mins east of downtown.

If you are ever in Southern NJ, feel free to give me a jingle as there are a few guys on LTs I ride with too. BTW, we are heading down to Bob's BMW possible in a few weeks (4/17).

Glenn
post #5 of 11 Old Apr 6th, 2010, 12:29 pm

I found the BMW City pants to be comfortable and functional. Here is a link to a youtube video that describes them. I don't look as good in them as the model.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #6 of 11 Old Apr 6th, 2010, 1:16 pm

Quote:
... that place in Philly as I am 20 mins east of downtown....
If you are going to Revzilla, make sure to put the place on your GPS. It is in an industrial section near the waterfront - not the best of neighborhoods.

Thanks for the invite, I'll be in touch.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #7 of 11 Old Apr 6th, 2010, 3:29 pm

Quote:
I ordered a pair of pants and jacket from www.jafrum.com, and the jacket seems to be a keeper but the pants look like I am ready for an artic ride - therefore, gettting sent back.

Here is my question, I checked on the forum for suppliers, but I prefer to hear from you guys on which brand/model are thinner and natural looking.

Glenn
If it helps, I have a pair of Olympia mesh pants with the liner. With the liner in, they are a little bulky, but got me through the winter here in North Carolina. With the liner out, they are pretty light and comfortable. You can even hem them so us shorter guys don't look like we're wearing our dad's pants.
post #8 of 11 Old Apr 6th, 2010, 3:40 pm

I have a pair of summer weight Olympia that I really like EXCEPT for the zipper around each leg to remove to bottom for "summer" walk around wearing. It rubs in annoying places and is of no value to me. Actually it's the Velcro that rubs. I'll never buy pants with removable legs. I do like the pants except for that feature.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #9 of 11 Old Apr 6th, 2010, 5:30 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I have a pair of summer weight Olympia that I really like EXCEPT for the zipper around each leg to remove to bottom for "summer" walk around wearing. It rubs in annoying places and is of no value to me. Actually it's the Velcro that rubs. I'll never buy pants with removable legs. I do like the pants except for that feature.
Plus 1 on Olympia. I have the "Air Glide" pants & wear them year around.

Stevie Shreeve
post #10 of 11 Old Apr 7th, 2010, 4:42 pm

Quote:

Glenn
Have you visited the www.newenough.com website yet? Got some nice stuff at reasonable prices and they are great to deal with.
post #11 of 11 Old Apr 8th, 2010, 7:09 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for your comments guys. I took Robert's advise and looked at revzilla.com for what they carried and then took a quick ride to their Philly store since I am 20 mins from their store. Glad I did. Although the store was fairly small, I had a chance to try on the Olympia Airglide 3 jacket and pants. Very nice although the sales guy said the airglide 2 jacket was pretty much the same as the 3. Looked on line and found the airglide 2 for 149 vs. 249 for the 3. Pants were still 199 whether or not you choose the 2 or 3. But since I am tall w/ a 34 inch inseam, the airglides fit me well. Plus, it didn't look like I was ready to ride a snow mobile.

Overall, the airglide line seems to be a nice 3 season system so I am pretty happy.

Thanks again guys.

Glenn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in