BMW Streetguard 3 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Mar 26th, 2010, 6:16 pm Thread Starter

BMW Streetguard 3

I'm looking at the new Streetguard 3 riding suit, and also at the Aerostich Roadcrafter. The Roadcrafter is a one-piece and is half the expense. On the other hand, the Streetguard states that it reflects a goodly portion of heat. As I live in N. Florida, a hot and humid climate in the summer months, that would be a big plus if it's true. The Roadcrafter has earned its chops over the years for outright quality of construction and toughness, and Aerostich has an excellent reputation for standing behind their products.

Has anyone of this board had any experience with either product in high heat (95+)/high humidity? Can one survive the heat? Or are they both a great way to loose weight quickly? Their ability to take a hit and keep on ticking is a known quality. I would appreciate any opinions offered.

"What a long strange trip it's been."jg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Mar 26th, 2010, 6:45 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Re: BMW Streetguard 3

We have used the SG II and III for the last 4 years, excellent. Removable liner, zippered under-arm vents, removable collar. This helps when it gets warm. Also ridden through some frog drowners and never got wet. The reflective treatment seems to work, but that is hard to quantify. The SG II's were replaced by BMW Munich at a token cost due to fading. No issues with usability, but they said fading should not occur. They said that they had not seen this before. This clothing is used a lot, so very happy with this level of customer support. No experience with the Aerostich Roadcrafter.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #3 of 9 Old Mar 26th, 2010, 6:51 pm

Re: BMW Streetguard 3

I purchased a StreetGuard 3 last September and as I live in the DC area I've not experienced very hot weather yet. I did ride one sunny day in the high 80's, very comfortable.

I really like the suit for wind and rain protection. Very good in cold temperature also.

Altho expensive I really like the suit and would recommend it.

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 28th, 2010, 3:52 pm

Same as Hilton. Had the SG2. Great. Replaced under warranty because the black bits turned pink SG3 even better and yes the reflective properties seem to work, though I haven't been in as high as 95F. I wonder for those temps would you be better with a mesh, though then you have to mess with liners for waterproofness.
post #5 of 9 Old Mar 28th, 2010, 7:18 pm Thread Starter

I've got several mesh/ mesh combo jackets, and last year I got a very nice Olympia HiViz mesh. But I've always heard great things about the Roadcrafter, and while researching that I came accress the Roadcrafter 3.

"What a long strange trip it's been."jg
post #6 of 9 Old Mar 29th, 2010, 4:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising01
I've got several mesh/ mesh combo jackets, and last year I got a very nice Olympia HiViz mesh. But I've always heard great things about the Roadcrafter, and while researching that I came accress the Roadcrafter 3.
I think you meant to say Streetguard 3 at the end? It is absolutely brilliant and a huge improvement over the Streetguard 2. Not a drop of water gets through even in torrential downpours - and I mean driving all day in those conditions, not just 10 minutes to work. The heat reflecting stuff seems to work. I can walk around with the gear on in blazing sunshine and still not be overly hot. I went for the grey with orange flashes. And it's very well made and fits great.

But there are some issues you should note (minor in the overall scheme of things). One is its a very heavy jacket especially with the liner in. The second is that the amour has been changed from that used in the Streetguard 2. Its now bigger and far, far stiffer until it heats up. The first time you put the jacket on you'd think someone's put a large plank of timber in the back. For the last few months (admittedly the temps have been at or just above freezing) after putting the trousers on I have had difficulty bending my knees to get my boots on - and no its not age before you say it - its the knee amour which was so stiff it actually slightly hurt on one knee it was pressing against it so hard. The third thing with the jacket is that they've changed from an inner and outer zip to one larger zip with an overlapping flap inside it - and of course the flap gets caught in the zip.

The stiffness thing might not be a factor at all for you in Florida but I'd suggest you get to a dealer and try one on noting these other things.

BMW also do a HiViz mesh over here which looks brilliant and I'm thinking of one for the summer. Also check out this thread:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15954
post #7 of 9 Old Mar 29th, 2010, 9:58 am

I've got an Aerostich Roadcrafter (two-piece) and love it...but I don't think you'd be happy wearing the 'stich in 95 degree heat!! Once temps hit about 80, I switch to my BMW Venting Machine mesh jacket and pants.

Regards,

Paul Rakestraw
Boulder, CO

09 R1200RT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 K1200LTI
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wrecked at 91k miles

post #8 of 9 Old Sep 8th, 2012, 2:03 pm

Do the Streetguard 3 pants come with a removable liner?

I had the BMW Tourance 2 suit and the pants liner was permanently attached, making them a cold weather pant only. Anything above 72 degrees F and you roasted in them.
post #9 of 9 Old Sep 8th, 2012, 8:00 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage

Yes.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in