Heated gear question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Mar 15th, 2010, 9:17 pm Thread Starter

Heated gear question

Hey everybody.

I've been putting together some heated stuff for the RRR...
I'm down to the feet...

I need some input from those who have experience..
Insoles ? Socks ? What kind.

Some socks have just heat in the toes...Others have heat all over but you can feel the wires...

Who's happy with what...

Thanks

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Mar 15th, 2010, 9:27 pm

Re: Heated gear question

My Gerbings socks were quite amazing when temps dipped into the 20s on early morning starts. Mine have wires everywhere. They are a tad uncomfortable if you walk in them very much ... but that's not really what they're for. I say, the more heat, the better! Jacket liner and gloves into one controller, pants and socks in the other. Nirvana!
post #3 of 9 Old Mar 15th, 2010, 9:29 pm

John,

My first pair of heated socks was the original product by Gerbing's. I wore them once then returned them. They had wires on the top and the bottom of the feet, and walking on the wires was very uncomfortable. I then bought their "Comfort" socks; these have wires just on the top. I have worn them twice and they kept my feet and toes nicely warm. I would wear them much more frequently except it's a pain (IMO) to run the wires up your pants leg to plug into the Gerbing's jacket, and since my commute is only an hour each way it's not worth the effort. If I was on a longer trip I'd take the time to run the wires and they would do their job nicely. There's nothing like warm feet!

This complaint would be a non-issue if I had the Gerbing's pants, because the socks would plug into the bottom of the pants - much easier. Another solution to this complaint would be to run the socks on a battery (not the bike's battery), which Gerbing's sells.

IIRC Gerbing's now sells only a heated insole, which eliminates the need to change socks between regular and heated pairs. I have no experience with that product.

Good luck!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 16th, 2010, 11:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
John,

IIRC Gerbing's now sells only a heated insole, which eliminates the need to change socks between regular and heated pairs. I have no experience with that product.

Good luck!
I have the insoles because Gerbings had discontinued the comfort socks. I've worn them the last two seasons and am very happy with them, but then they're the only game in town since I have other Gerbings products.
I find the insoles easy to walk in and regulate with the heated pants, they seem to require the same amount of juice or said differently, neither seems to be more or less heated then the other.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #5 of 9 Old Mar 16th, 2010, 7:33 pm

The Warm & Safe socks I carry have heat on the toes. You don't want wires on the bottom of your feet. Larry

Warm & Safe Heated Clothing Sale- Lowest Prices!!

Contact Me.

post #6 of 9 Old Apr 14th, 2010, 10:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
I have the insoles because Gerbings had discontinued the comfort socks.

HTH,
Jer
Do the insoles affect the sizing of your boots? I wouldn't want my boots to get much tighter.
post #7 of 9 Old Apr 15th, 2010, 3:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloH3
Do the insoles affect the sizing of your boots? I wouldn't want my boots to get much tighter.
All my good quality boots have insole inserts so pulling them out and putting in the Gerbing heated insoles was not a significant change. They are not much thicker than the aftermarket gel insoles you can buy at drug stores.

I have a pair of the original Gerbing socks and a pair of the heated insoles. I actually prefer the way the socks heat my feet. However, I am not willing to put up with the discomfort of the wires in the socks, not just when walking but when riding for long hours.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #8 of 9 Old Apr 15th, 2010, 8:31 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloH3
As jwd98056 suggests, it depends. I don't have liners to pull out, but I can make more space for the liner since my boots have laces and velcro. This allows for additional room in the boot. If your boots are already tight without other options to allow for the additional under foot bulk, you may need different boots when you want warm, toasty feet.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #9 of 9 Old Apr 24th, 2010, 7:17 pm

I have the Gerbing socks which I rarely used because a) they're uncomfortable and b) my last bike was a cruiser and I put on a winter spray skirt on the crash bars, which eliminated the windage almost completely. I recently bought a 2010 RT and noticed that on cold days, my feet were feeling it, even though the rest of me was toasty warm, thanks to my other Gerbing gear and the good fairing and windshield (not to mention the heated seat and grips) So looks like I might want to try the insoles next. Either way, I guess I'll have to put up with running wires down my pants, since I don't have electric pants.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in