post #1 of 32 Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 9:23 pm Thread Starter

New Boots?

I am looking for a new pair of boots. My requirments would be:
Steel Toe
At least 11 inch
Must come in wide witdh
Rain proof
Good traction

What do you guys suggest, where did you get them and how much did they cost.

Thanks!

post #2 of 32 Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 10:18 pm

Re: New Boots?

Try checking out Sidi boots. The steel toe part may be hard to find in combination with the other features. Kevlar and other man made materials seem be the norm for toe and ankle protection.

2011 CVO FLTRUSE
post #3 of 32 Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 8:57 am

No contest www.daytona.de

post #4 of 32 Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 8:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
No contest www.daytona.de
+1 on Daytona. Absolutely the most comfortable boot out of the box I've ever owned.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #5 of 32 Old Feb 24th, 2010, 9:17 am

BMW Allround Boots -

The most comfortable boot I've worn. I've had them for several years and they fit like a worn glove as soon as I put them on. I don't think they have steel toes, but they seem to offer a lot of protection and are extremely comfortable. I can wear them all day long and really hate to take them off. I think they sell for around $200.00. I would buy another pair.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 32 Old Feb 24th, 2010, 3:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Smile Re: New Boots?

Not a steel toed boot but I am still using my Cruiserworks Tour boots after 5 years. They have been resoled about 4 times and I put them on and wear to work all day also. My feet have never gotten wet even when walking through inches of water. I wear them in hot and cold weather.
Liked them so much I bought another pair so I could swap them out from time to time.
Worth every penny appx $240

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #7 of 32 Old Feb 24th, 2010, 5:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Last summer I purchased a pair of the Aerostich Combat lite boots. They are well made, provide great protection, can be re-soled, but take "forever" to break-in. Although once broken in, I found them to be well worth the effort and expense.

Bob

2005 Blue K1200LT
2010 R1200GS
BMW/MOA 94539

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 32 Old Feb 25th, 2010, 6:42 pm

There are lots of good boots out there-some are Goretex-waterproof. Why do you want steel toe?? FYI-steel toe are dangeroues -even in industrial application-if -and there are many instances-something heavy dropped on the toe box the steel can compress and at the least will trap your toes-worst is crushing and encasing the toes. No pro-mc boots have steel toes.

Phil in Marin
2013 K1300S-30 Anniv ED. sold
2006 K1200GT-Blue of course-sold
2005 Ducati 999-the I-talian princess-sold
2004 K1200GT Gen-1, Orient Blue
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gone
2016 Triumph Thruxton R

2000 R1100RT.
post #9 of 32 Old May 16th, 2010, 11:29 am

Any good leads on where to purchase the Daytona's at a good price point?

Thx - Bill

Bill
Colorado Native -

Rocky Mtn High "it's much more than a John Denver song!"

2012 R1200RT - The gray shark - oh what a ride!
1995 Honda "Pacific Coast" Honda's woefully underpowered answer to the LT
2002 K1200LTC Royal Blue (SOLD to Grant (Colo Sprgs) as he could fix the ABS)
1987 G1200A (SOLD)
1984 GL1200A (my first "big" bike)
1983 GL650i (I wish I still had this all org collector)
post #10 of 32 Old May 16th, 2010, 6:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Check out Roadgear's new boot, it got a good review in the June issue of 'Rider'-- so good they're out of my size (12):

http://www.roadgear.com/Technical_Wear/Boots/XKJ_Boots/

They've been at past CCR's and are located in Pueblo West, CO, but I don't know if they have a store front or are only mail order. I personally like to try on boots, but have had good luck on line with both Cruiserworks and New Enough.

Motor On ,/'

post #11 of 32 Old May 16th, 2010, 9:32 pm

Sorry.............I didn't have my glasses on.............carry on..............
post #12 of 32 Old Feb 25th, 2011, 6:49 pm

Ok, I have read many of these boot threads from this site and other sites. The same answers come up ignoring one of the OP's key questions, "wide size".

Not one answer addresses this question. From what I understand most euro boots run narrow, especially the Sidi, so why mention it if it doesn't fit all of the OP's criteria?

Much like the OP, I am looking for a WIDE, waterproof, comfortable above the ankle height boot, that allows good ankle flex because I'm riding the R1200RT.

I would love to find a thread that has some recommendations for good REAL motorcycle boots that are wide, not only army boots or Danners and the like that have too much sole, and not enough ankle flex.
post #13 of 32 Old Feb 25th, 2011, 8:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctay
Ok, I have read many of these boot threads from this site and other sites. The same answers come up ignoring one of the OP's key questions, "wide size".

Not one answer addresses this question. From what I understand most euro boots run narrow, especially the Sidi, so why mention it if it doesn't fit all of the OP's criteria?

Much like the OP, I am looking for a WIDE, waterproof, comfortable above the ankle height boot, that allows good ankle flex because I'm riding the R1200RT.

I would love to find a thread that has some recommendations for good REAL motorcycle boots that are wide, not only army boots or Danners and the like that have too much sole, and not enough ankle flex.
Last year's thread, but might still apply --- try this company. Got excellent reviews several years ago by one of our former members. I think he ordered 10EEE. 350 bones from across the pond (back a few years, so thangs change, ya know! ). Anyway, they did wide ones, waterproof ones, and he could wear 'em all day long with smiles. He rode LTs and GTs. Good luck with your boot search.
post #14 of 32 Old Feb 25th, 2011, 9:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
BMW Allround Boots -

The most comfortable boot I've worn. I've had them for several years and they fit like a worn glove as soon as I put them on. I don't think they have steel toes, but they seem to offer a lot of protection and are extremely comfortable. I can wear them all day long and really hate to take them off. I think they sell for around $200.00. I would buy another pair.
I had a very comfortable BMW boot almost like these but had slip laces instead of the zipper and the same tread on the bottom. So I bought these and was expecting like comfort but these hurt my ankle bone where that hard circle is. I hope it just needs to break in.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #15 of 32 Old Feb 25th, 2011, 9:48 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly
Any good leads on where to purchase the Daytona's at a good price point?

Thx - Bill

what Bill said... where can you get these in the US?

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #16 of 32 Old Feb 26th, 2011, 1:18 am

According to the web site these people are their dealers

Helimot European Accessoires
1141 Old Bayshore Hwy., San Jose, CA, 95112-2808, U.S.A.
Phone: 00 1 4 08 298-9608, Fax: 00 1 408 271-3955

http://www.helimot.com/
post #17 of 32 Old Feb 26th, 2011, 6:05 am

I have a wide foot and tried on every motorcycle boot that I came across and it was always the same, they felt like my foot was being strangled. I have a friend who rides an LT and he bought a pair of the Daytona Road Star GTX's and both he and I wear the same size boot so I tried them on and they were extremely comfortable and also expensive. We rode to the St Louis BMW dealer who stocked a lot of boots and I was down to trying all BMW had to offer, if I couldn't find a boot here I was all set to order a pair of the Road Star GTX boots. The last pair of BMW boots I tried were the Sneaker 3's and couldn't believe how comfortable they were. Not only did they feel good, they breath and you can feel the air around your foot as you ride. Their not for winter and I never had a problem riding them in the rain. Over the summer we took another trip to the St Louis BMW dealer and my wife and the other couple we ride with all bought a pair of the Sneaker 3 and are very happy with them. My buddy still likes his Daytona's but in the summer time he felt like his feet were going to explode.

Daytona Road Star GTX
http://www.helimot.com/shopexd.asp?id=75

BMW Sneaker 3
http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/produ...roducts_id=353

Stephen

2006 R1200RT
2010 Unigo Trailer w/Dauntless Hitch
post #18 of 32 Old Feb 26th, 2011, 7:53 am

Sidi are just too narrow for me. Even their Way mega Rain.
Aty the last BMWMOA rally I tried all the boots available...too narrow.
On the way home I tried and purchased BMW all around boots.
Ahhhhhhh ! Perfect.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #19 of 32 Old Feb 26th, 2011, 8:31 am

Starfighter,

Do you have a wide foot? What size do you wear? I didn't know the BMW all arounds accomodated a wide foot. Dan, did the Daytona Road Star GTX's fit around your calf comfortably? Did your riding pants slip over them ok?

Dick thanks for the link.

The BMW Sneaker 3 doesn't look like it has any ankle protection. The description at BMW makes them sound more like a boot you use AFTER you get off the bike, so not sure about those. Wish there were more choices for ankle high boots.

Thanks
post #20 of 32 Old Feb 26th, 2011, 8:31 am

https://www.chippewaboots.com/contest

Good pair................

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
post #21 of 32 Old Feb 26th, 2011, 12:56 pm

Have not seen these mentioned here but take a look at the TCX Airtech boots. I normally wear a US 13 / EU 48 but these have such a large toe box that a 47 fit fine with room to spare. They are primarily a summer boot but I wear them year round in GA and just change the type of sock to the weather. Very easy on/off as well.

"Not all who wander are lost"

2014 R1200GS Adv
2018 Vespa 300
post #22 of 32 Old Feb 26th, 2011, 2:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctay
Great avatar. Where'd you get it?

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #23 of 32 Old Feb 27th, 2011, 7:06 pm

Been using this avatar for years. The gif model is much better

I thought I would post again since I had a chance to try on the Euro size 44 BMW all around boots. I have a wide foot, not ultra wide, but wide. These boots fit perfect, and ride wonderful. Thanks to whomever mentioned them!

This is a great forum!
post #24 of 32 Old Feb 27th, 2011, 8:52 pm

I would like to try the new SIDI Laguna touring boots on when they come out. I would really like a pair of Daytona boots, but price does matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rohTvx_WHnc

2002 K1200LT
post #25 of 32 Old Feb 27th, 2011, 9:02 pm

My BMW touring boots have been great. There's no steel toe, but there is sufficient protection for the toes and ankles...plus they are TOTALLY waterproof.
post #26 of 32 Old Feb 28th, 2011, 2:05 am

Alternative view http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qiHnu37ghE
post #27 of 32 Old Feb 28th, 2011, 10:03 am

Garage

I use Daytona boots, and I am very happy with them. They come in wide & large sizes (I am a UK 13/14 - EU 49 - US 14-15) However they do not come in steel toed variety, at least not that I am aware of. They certainly are expensive, but they do seem to last.

Indicentally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinPhil
... FYI-steel toe are dangeroues -even in industrial application-if -and there are many instances-something heavy dropped on the toe box the steel can compress and at the least will trap your toes-worst is crushing and encasing the toes. No pro-mc boots have steel toes.
I would not agree with you on this point completely! If the thing that is dropped is heavy enough to crush your toes with a steel toe, what would the damage be if you only had leather? For a hint please see the Mythbusters episode on this subject! This is the first time I have heard anyone claiming that Steel toed shoes/boots are dangerous to the wearer.

Best regards
Sleuth

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #28 of 32 Old Mar 29th, 2011, 5:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
Thanks for the alternative view Simon. I have wanted a pair of Daytona Roadstar GTX boots for a few years. Your post encouraged me to further research this possibility. Consequently I bought a pair from FC Moto in Germany. Price was excellent since the VAT was deleted from their list price and they only took 8 days to get here with shipping price of $12. Very nice boots. I replaced the removable insole with quality ones from a sporting goods store, just as I have with all other boots I have owned.

http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/...TEX%C2%AE-0001

2002 K1200LT
post #29 of 32 Old Mar 29th, 2011, 11:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleuth
I
I would not agree with you on this point completely! If the thing that is dropped is heavy enough to crush your toes with a steel toe, what would the damage be if you only had leather? For a hint please see the Mythbusters episode on this subject! This is the first time I have heard anyone claiming that Steel toed shoes/boots are dangerous to the wearer.

Best regards
Sleuth
A mashed toe can heal. A cut off toe is another matter. Worked construction for over 35 years, and we were always taught this since we work around very heavy iron. Mythbusters is not the sum total of all wisdom & knowledge. Its not an exhaustive research. Its made for TV. I've been required to wear steel toe boots a few times on select jobs. One thing I can tell you about that steel toe...it's a hell of a lot colder on your toes in winter.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #30 of 32 Old Mar 30th, 2011, 8:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderland
Thanks for the alternative view Simon. I have wanted a pair of Daytona Roadstar GTX boots for a few years. Your post encouraged me to further research this possibility. Consequently I bought a pair from FC Moto in Germany. Price was excellent since the VAT was deleted from their list price and they only took 8 days to get here with shipping price of $12. Very nice boots. I replaced the removable insole with quality ones from a sporting goods store, just as I have with all other boots I have owned.

http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/...TEX%C2%AE-0001
I have the Travel Stars as, for the same money, I prefer the higher shaft and the zip protection flaps. Buy their cream to keep them looking like new.
post #31 of 32 Old Mar 30th, 2011, 9:26 am Thread Starter

Since this thread was resurrected I should probably tell you guys what I finally decided on. I bought the redwing boot linked below. It has the steel toe and wide width I was looking for.

Overall the boot is fine. I have two issues with them though. One is although they are the correct size they feel a bit loose when walking in them. Also I am sure the leather on top where the shifter hits is going to wear out long before the rest of the boot. It's too soft and already has noticeable indents.

CLick here for boot details
post #32 of 32 Old Mar 30th, 2011, 10:23 am

It is interesting, how in general, the BMW branded clothing is more expensive that other brands, yet their boot, which I love is quite a bit less than the Daytona.

The BMW boot was very comfortable the first time I put it on, and after one resole, it is even better. It would be hard for me to change to another. When I wear them, and many times it is all day, I really don't want to take them off. They are that comfortable.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in