Olympia Moto Sports - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Feb 9th, 2006, 2:03 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Olympia Moto Sports

Is anyone familiar with Olympia Moto Sports riding gear?

I tried on their Airglide 2 jacket & pants today, which are basically mesh gear with full insulated liners. Apparently the 2006 models are coming out soon, which have waterproof insulated liners. The pants did have full-length side zippers and also had no seams running across the seat area (both a must-have). They also come in a ladies cut, which is great for the fairer bikers.

I then checked out their web page and saw their AST (All Seasons Touring) jacket, which has a waterproof shell with long chest and arm zippers for venting, plus an insulated liner. Their Ranger 2 pants are also waterproof and come with an insulated liner, but didn't seem to have provisions for hot weather venting. They picture showed full-length side zippers, but I couldn't see the seat area to check for seams. A ladies cut is also offered.

The Bushwhacker ¾ jacket is also mesh with a waterproof liner, but seems more suited and styled for dual purpose rides.

I'm wondering about general fit and quality, and honest temperature range. I've ridden between 30 and 115 degrees, and don't want to carry different summer and winter gear. If the included liners could be wired for heat, that just might make a true 4-season outfit.

Any experience or reviews?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Feb 9th, 2006, 7:52 am

Yeah mon, I have one, the versatility is purdy kewl.

I can't attest to the water proofness of the liner's as I haven't worn them in a frog strangler, just some rain, which I stayed dry in.

There's two shortcomings: The jacket liner zipper is exposed, so you know water will eventually find it's way in, you can eventually feel cold air below 40 degrees and the dayem pants are too short. Be sure to try the pants on and sit a bike.

The liners are hot! I bought a windbreaker for those in between moments.

The quality is good, I bought the suit for the Teton trip as I rode hot and cold weather and it worked good. I prolly woudn't buy the suit again, though it is relatively inexpensive, because of the above, though I will wear it again simply because I have it. I could live with the unprotected zipper, but them short pants kinda bug me. The reflective piping on the jacket (I don't have the bushmaster style) and pants is awesome and it is easy to get on and off.

Mayhaps the 2006 model will have overcome the SHORT comings?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #3 of 8 Old Feb 9th, 2006, 8:40 am

I met and spoke with the owners for about an hour last summer, at the grand opening of BMW Motorcycles of Cleveland. I was very impressed with them (husband & wife team). They are definitely "going after" the BMW crowd . . . offering BMW-like look and quality, but at a lower price. My riding partner bought one of their jackets late last season and only got to wear it once before storing her bike for the winter. She likes it so far, but hasn't had enough time with it to make a full evaluation.

If I hadn't pledged my allegiance to BMW gear, I would go strictly with Olympia Moto Sports gear. I like the look and the quality seems better than most.

post #4 of 8 Old Feb 9th, 2006, 10:15 am

Thumbs up

I haven't tried the jacket or pants but I'm hooked on their gel pad gloves. Have tried several other brands of gloves but these seem to fit and wear better than anything else I've tried. They are a three season glove and are not intended to be waterproof. They do dry quickly and don't stiffen up. The velcro wrist closure outlasts the gloves. Their sizes seem to run a little small.

BTW Joe, when you pledge allegiance to BMW do you have to hold your hand over your wallet?

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #5 of 8 Old Feb 9th, 2006, 10:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffklt
BTW Joe, when you pledge allegiance to BMW do you have to hold your hand over your wallet?
No... You just hand that right over to them. I won't tell you where my hands were.
post #6 of 8 Old Feb 9th, 2006, 11:27 am

I have been wearing Mustang jacket and like it quite a bit
post #7 of 8 Old Feb 9th, 2006, 12:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I then checked out their web page and saw their AST (All Seasons Touring) jacket, which has a waterproof shell with long chest and arm zippers for venting, plus an insulated liner. Their Ranger 2 pants are also waterproof and come with an insulated liner, but didn't seem to have provisions for hot weather venting. They picture showed full-length side zippers, but I couldn't see the seat area to check for seams. A ladies cut is also offered.
Any experience or reviews?
I have the AST outfit and I am very pleased with its quality, comfort, style and weatherproofness at its price-point. Also, it has a bit of a "softer hand" than some of its competitors.

BUT, it is NOT a hot weather suit!! I do wear mine up to 65-70 as needed (probably a bit higher if in the country with NO traffic issues) then switch to JR mesh.

The revised line looks to have improved features across the board.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #8 of 8 Old Feb 9th, 2006, 3:53 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Thanks for all the input, guys. I figure I'll wait until the local shop gets the '06 stuff in stock, then try various models on. It's almost 80 now, so I figure a short test ride will tell me how well the vents on the AST work.

But since I generally ride in heat more than cold, maybe the Airglide with the new waterproof liner would be best. And depending on the liner construction, maybe I could just have Warm-n-Safe or Gerbings turn it into an electric liner and save packing another layer. I suppose I could always carry a set of Frog Toggs for grif-type rainstorms, but I'd rather avoid that if I can.

And if anyone else in interested, my local shop said they'd be offering 20% off the '05 models, which makes them pretty attractive buys.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in