Scorpion EXO900 Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Feb 13th, 2010, 9:10 am Thread Starter

Smile Scorpion EXO900 Question

Hi All,
My Schuberth is nearing it's lifespan, and am looking for a replacement. I have read notes in the past about the Scorpion EXO900 helmet, and have tried on the solid faced version, and wonder if they have improved the problems in the early models of the 900. My local cycle shop (non BMW) sells them, and will order me a 900 if I am interested. I don't want to put them to the trouble if I would not be interested in it. I am curious folks comments between the Nolan 103 and the 900. Is one better than the other? Love the Schuberth, shame it is no longer imported. I am probably going to go from helmet headsets to in ear custom plugs with speakers to reduce the wind noise. Many thanks in advance.....Bob

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Feb 13th, 2010, 11:25 am

Re: Scorpion EXO900 Question

We went from the Schuberths to the Scorpion flip-fronts last fall. We were still being surprised by the quietness as the season ended. Ended up sending the helmets to J&M to have headsets installed, tho now I see how they did it, I think I could have. Be sure to try for size prior to ordering and being stuck with it.

Choosing between Scorpion and Nolan was not hard at all - the Nolans hurt (head shape different).

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #3 of 6 Old Feb 13th, 2010, 2:21 pm

Talking Re: Scorpion EXO900 Question

I would go try the Nolan it fits my head shape where others do not I went from the 102 to the 103 I like the 103 much better though there is still something of a noise issue being that it is a modular design.

I mounted my own headsets it really wasn’t that difficult as it’s a 4 piece design the speaker placement was possibly the hardest part since it requires that you center the speaker to where your ear is. After several attempts I got it right and it sounds pretty darn good. I mounted the mic is in the chinguard.

My only complaint is that past around 80 the wind wash’s the music out.

post #4 of 6 Old Feb 13th, 2010, 3:55 pm Thread Starter

Red face Re: Scorpion EXO900 Question

Hi Jim,
Is the Scorpion hot, i.e. does air move through it well. I have read that they do not vent very well. Guess I will have to get them to order me one. Thanks again...Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjn
We went from the Schuberths to the Scorpion flip-fronts last fall. We were still being surprised by the quietness as the season ended. Ended up sending the helmets to J&M to have headsets installed, tho now I see how they did it, I think I could have. Be sure to try for size prior to ordering and being stuck with it.

Choosing between Scorpion and Nolan was not hard at all - the Nolans hurt (head shape different).

Bob
post #5 of 6 Old Feb 13th, 2010, 3:57 pm Thread Starter

Red face Re: Scorpion EXO900 Question

Hi,
John from J&M has been writing me. On my current J&M headset in the Schuberth, I disconnected the mike. He tells me that I can not do that now. I am beginning to lean toward in ear speaker custom ear plugs. Lots of decision points.....Thanks again. Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kra961
I would go try the Nolan it fits my head shape where others do not I went from the 102 to the 103 I like the 103 much better though there is still something of a noise issue being that it is a modular design.

I mounted my own headsets it really wasn’t that difficult as it’s a 4 piece design the speaker placement was possibly the hardest part since it requires that you center the speaker to where your ear is. After several attempts I got it right and it sounds pretty darn good. I mounted the mic is in the chinguard.

My only complaint is that past around 80 the wind wash’s the music out.

Bob
post #6 of 6 Old Feb 13th, 2010, 8:19 pm

Re: Scorpion EXO900 Question

I had a Scorpion EXO700 a few years ago. On my 45 minute commute, it left me with a red dot on my forehead. After an hour and a half, it felt like a RR spike was being driven into my skull. If you order the 900, ask if the shop will let you wear it in the store and make a refund if it isn't comfortable. Bet most won't. Cycle Gear has a 7 day return policy on helmets. As long as all packaging, papers, etc. are still together, the helmet is like new, and you haven't ridden in it, they'll take it back. Store manager I spoke to told me you couldn't tell much about it if you didn't ride with it and to keep it quiet if I did when I bought a Shoei X-11.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in