Nolan N 102 - Paint is chipping in a few areas - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 1:01 pm Thread Starter

Nolan N 102 - Paint is chipping in a few areas

My Nolan flip helmet is about 4 1/2 years old and the paint is starting to chip in a few areas around both hinges and the front. It's a white helmet and the paint underneath is also white so it's not very noticeable. The helmet has not been dropped and it seems I read somewhere that they should be replaced about every 5 years. Just wondering if this chipping is a sign of something worse. Anyone else have this happen to your helmet? It came with a 5 year warranty, but the helmet seems to be like new. I don't think the warranty would cover this anyway.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Feb 6th, 2010, 8:16 am

Re: Nolan N 102 - Paint is chipping in a few areas

So WHY is the paint chipping? Heat? UV? Minor bumps?

Helmets don't magically turn to crap in 5 years but the foam liners do slowly and steadily lose protective ability. Heat accelerates that. While there are modest differences, liners generally are similar materilas with similar properties.

Some makers are specific in suggesting changes- not seen a makers interval that eceeds 7 yrs or so.

Then there are new Snell 2010 stds that more closely mirror euro specs, etc.

When exactly was your 102 MADE? That's what starts the clock. Helmets can be on the shelf a long time before sale if purchased through a low volume channel.

I own a lot of helmets for cars and bikes, for multiple users. I think the 7 yr inteval is reasonable for most though some of my car helmets get so funky they get changed sooner.
post #3 of 13 Old Feb 6th, 2010, 8:27 am

So WHY is the paint chipping? Heat? UV? Minor bumps?

Helmets don't magically turn to crap in 5 years but the foam liners do slowly and steadily lose protective ability. Heat accelerates that. While there are modest differences, liners generally are similar materilas with similar properties.

Some makers are specific in suggesting changes- not seen a makers interval that eceeds 7 yrs or so.

Then there are new Snell 2010 stds that more closely mirror euro specs, etc.

When exactly was your 102 MADE? That's what starts the clock. Helmets can be on the shelf a long time before sale if purchased through a low volume channel.

I own a lot of helmets for cars and bikes, for multiple users. I think the 7 yr inteval is reasonable for most though some of my car helmets get so funky they get changed sooner.

post #4 of 13 Old Feb 6th, 2010, 8:44 am Thread Starter

The helmet was manufactured 04-06 and I bought it several months later, so it didn't sit very long. The chipping seems to be in two specific areas; hinge points and the very front.

Not a big deal, just was curious as it has not happened in any other previous helmet. (note sig line)

The helmet is white and underneath, it is also white. I happened to notice the flaked paint on my seat occasionally and then tracked it to the helmet. I've been satisfied with the Nolan and will eventually replace it with the same. It would be nice to find one similar, with the same fit, that weighed less.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #5 of 13 Old Feb 6th, 2010, 11:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
The helmet was manufactured 04-06 and I bought it several months later, so it didn't sit very long. The chipping seems to be in two specific areas; hinge points and the very front.

Not a big deal, just was curious as it has not happened in any other previous helmet. (note sig line)

The helmet is white and underneath, it is also white. I happened to notice the flaked paint on my seat occasionally and then tracked it to the helmet. I've been satisfied with the Nolan and will eventually replace it with the same. It would be nice to find one similar, with the same fit, that weighed less.

My flip-up Nolan is chipping too. I'd guess (I haven't investigated my purchase date) that mine is about 3 years old. I think all the chips have appeared just this last riding season. It's not been dropped or abused.

I plan to take it to the Dealer later (when the snow is gone) to see if Nolan/or the Dealer will do anything about it.

The liner is still real good, as I wear a head cover winter and summer under it, so hate to buy a new one just yet.

DanDiver, if you come up with a the answer, please share it.

Vern

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #6 of 13 Old Feb 6th, 2010, 12:14 pm

I bought my N102 on 4/11/06. It is doing the same thing, in the same areas you describe.

I did drop it once, off the seat of the LT, but it seems to me where the paint is peeling (I describe it as "peeling" or "flaking", more than "chipping" because it's coming off in relatively large pieces) is on the leading surfaces and around the hinges.

This is the only helmet I have and it has about 82k miles on it. I like the practicality of a modular helmet but I think my next one will be another brand and maybe not modular - just to try something different for awhile. I wish Arai made a modular helmet.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #7 of 13 Old Feb 6th, 2010, 12:22 pm

I have a burgundy Nolan N-102 and there are some small paint chips on the upper right side. I purchased my helmet one years ago. Before buying the helmet, I read some reviews concerning the Nolan Helmet and this same issue - paint chipping.
post #8 of 13 Old Feb 6th, 2010, 1:44 pm

While at the MOA Rally in TN last year, I went to the Nolan Vendor Booth (I think they were the NA distributor) to ask them to diagnose what was wrong with my 102 helmet, cause it leaked whenever it rained. The rep looked at the helmet (which was 2 1/2 years old and stinky) and asked me how long the helmet had been flaking? I told the rep that it was flaking since the day I bought it and thought nothing of it, since the underlying layer was also white and the flaking was hardly noticeable. The rep told me that Nolan had a recall on some of the early 102's and after checking she gave me an authorization to return to the distributor.

Making a long story short. I got a free new helmet a Nolan 102. How is that for good customer service. I did have to turn in my old helmet, but heck, I got a new clean helmet for free.

Contact the national distributor and find out if your 102 helmet is covered under the recall. Perhaps, you might get a new or discounted one.

Ain't this site great.

Ultra LT
post #9 of 13 Old Mar 7th, 2010, 5:21 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraLT
While at the MOA Rally in TN last year, I went to the Nolan Vendor Booth (I think they were the NA distributor) to ask them to diagnose what was wrong with my 102 helmet, cause it leaked whenever it rained. The rep looked at the helmet (which was 2 1/2 years old and stinky) and asked me how long the helmet had been flaking? I told the rep that it was flaking since the day I bought it and thought nothing of it, since the underlying layer was also white and the flaking was hardly noticeable. The rep told me that Nolan had a recall on some of the early 102's and after checking she gave me an authorization to return to the distributor.

Making a long story short. I got a free new helmet a Nolan 102. How is that for good customer service. I did have to turn in my old helmet, but heck, I got a new clean helmet for free.

Contact the national distributor and find out if your 102 helmet is covered under the recall. Perhaps, you might get a new or discounted one.

Ain't this site great.

Ultra LT
Not seeing the original similar thread, I started this one. Thanks for your response. Wish I had seen it before I went to Dayton bike week yesterday. Here is what happened. I was pleased with Nolan till I read your reply. Think I'll write a letter since I paid $150 for the replacement!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was in Daytona Beach today fort Bike week and happened by the Nolan booth. Since my helmet is pealing around the outside edges I mentioned this to the lady running the booth and she said that there was a previous problem with the outer pain flaking and that it could be "adjusted" under warranty. I didn't know what adjusted meant, but figured since my helmet wasn't too far away, it was worth getting it and finding out what they would do. My helmet is over 4 years old, but she said that it would still be covered. I wasn't walking around with my helmet and had met up with some friends from WV so I said that I would be back later.

I got back about an hour later and they said that I could get a new Nolan 103 for 150.00. They were selling them at the show for $300.00 and I think they list for around $350 so I left the show with a new helmet!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #10 of 13 Old Mar 17th, 2010, 1:59 pm

Thumbs up Re: Nolan N 102 - Paint is chipping in a few areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernvernvern
My flip-up Nolan is chipping too. I'd guess (I haven't investigated my purchase date) that mine is about 3 years old. I think all the chips have appeared just this last riding season. It's not been dropped or abused.

I plan to take it to the Dealer later (when the snow is gone) to see if Nolan/or the Dealer will do anything about it.

The liner is still real good, as I wear a head cover winter and summer under it, so hate to buy a new one just yet.

DanDiver, if you come up with a the answer, please share it.

Vern
=================
Hi all!
Here is my update on my N102 Nolan helmet peeling.

I mailed it to Aurora, IL where Nolan is located and conversed with Amanda by email. She stated that if my old helmet was, in fact peeling, that they would take care of it.
Today I received a new N102 Helmet manufactured 02/2009.

Now that's good service and only took a little over a week.

Thanks to Amanda and Nolan.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #11 of 13 Old Mar 17th, 2010, 5:55 pm

Dan, Thanks for entering the date of manufacture.. Made me go look at mine.

I have March of 2007 so this will be my third season and I always update after three seasons. I have a few dings but I put them there. I don't have any paint defects in mine (yet). I would not mind getting a new N102. Been a good helmet.

Do you remember your old Date of Manufacture on the defective helmet?

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #12 of 13 Old Mar 21st, 2010, 2:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
Dan, Thanks for entering the date of manufacture.. Made me go look at mine.

I have March of 2007 so this will be my third season and I always update after three seasons. I have a few dings but I put them there. I don't have any paint defects in mine (yet). I would not mind getting a new N102. Been a good helmet.

Do you remember your old Date of Manufacture on the defective helmet?
Sorry for the late response - Been skydiving all weekend. I think the old date was about 4 1/2 years ago.

Just food for thought. I've put about 300 miles on the new Nolan 103 and am disappointed in the level of noise. My 102 was much quieter and I'll probably put it up for sale if I can't get something worked out with Nolan. They did not have a 102 at the show where I did my exchange + $150.00 so I took the 103. Just today I had an interesting conversation with a guy who had just purchased a Scorpian flip helmet and was quite pleased with it in reference to noise. I might give it a try. Anyone use the new scorpian flip helmet?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #13 of 13 Old Mar 21st, 2010, 3:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Sorry for the late response - Been skydiving all weekend. I think the old date was about 4 1/2 years ago.

Just food for thought. I've put about 300 miles on the new Nolan 103 and am disappointed in the level of noise. My 102 was much quieter and I'll probably put it up for sale if I can't get something worked out with Nolan. They did not have a 102 at the show where I did my exchange + $150.00 so I took the 103. Just today I had an interesting conversation with a guy who had just purchased a Scorpian flip helmet and was quite pleased with it in reference to noise. I might give it a try. Anyone use the new scorpian flip helmet?
Dano,

Thanks for the warning - I will keep my old Nolan N102 , paint chips and all.

Carl

Last edited by G-One; Mar 21st, 2010 at 3:34 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in