Heated Clothing Hookup - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 14th, 2010, 7:55 am Thread Starter

Heated Clothing Hookup

I am shopping for heated riding gear. My question is more about hooking it up to the bike rather than advice on a specific brand of gear. My ride is a 2009 R1200RT with the CANbus system. I am getting some conflicting signals on what may or may not work properly using the two BMW original equipment outlets that came on the bike.

I believe I have read somewhere that some people were having problems with their gear cycling on and off because there is a problem using these outlets with the higher draw of the electric gear. Also, I notice that most people hard wire to the battery directly bypassing the outlets. In fact, I was told to specifically do this after calling one respected heated gear company.

I also found the this link for this aftermarket gizmo that would seem to substantiate the problem of using the supplied outlets without this modification.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...mBatteryCables

I would appreciate input from all that have experience with this issue and would comment for me. Also, has anyone hooked up this aftermarket product and actually had success with it.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jan 14th, 2010, 9:23 am

Re: Heated Clothing Hookup

This may not be a complete answer to your question, but I am using Gerbing jacket liner, pants and gloves and running it all off the accessory socket on my 2004 1150GS. It has no problems keeping up with the current draw during my 45 minutes commute. I also run PIAA lights and a 5 watt ham radio which are not run off the socket but are hard wired to the battery.
post #3 of 6 Old Jan 14th, 2010, 10:00 am
Lifetime Supporter

Since your bike is new, you will probably over time want to add additional farkles that require battery power. I would recommend you add an accessory fuse block which is wired directly to the battery (do a search on this site for several recommendations). This will serve to be an excellent source of accessory power and will work great for your heated gear. Good luck!

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 14th, 2010, 11:25 pm

Thumbs up Re: Heated Clothing Hookup

I wired my warm and safe jacket directly to the battery. Then use the coax socket to plug in the battery tender when the bike is parked. Works great. See their website.
post #5 of 6 Old Jan 15th, 2010, 10:29 pm

Your bike terminology is a bit off but yes, there is a limit for the stock outlets. If its only you, you may be OK with the stock outlet but if its two people, you will need to do otherwise
Here is the info you need

Both of the bikes oultets (assuming you have the optional rear one)are connected to the ZFE- one of the bikes main computers (the other major one being the engine mangagment one).
The ZFE can support about 10A TOTAL output- not PER OUTLET.

Therefore, you can use a Gerbings jacket plus Gerbings gloves for 1 person with no problem on your 09. If you try to use both outlets for two people, you will trip the ZFE and have to switch the ignition on and off to reset it.

To avoid the ZFE limit, many wire heated gear direct to the battery or put in a fuse block that has both switched and unswitched power (recommend the Fuzeblock for that purpose) and connect an outlet to the unswitched part of the fuse block. This is what I've done on my 08. I use the factory outlet and my passenger uses the one I added that is not connected to the ZFE. (I mounted a powerlet outlet on the throttle side directly across from the factory rear, fused it at 10A)

If you have any heated gear beyond the jacket (heated gloves) you should use a dual controller so you can properly set the temp for each piece. Otherwise, the gloves will probably be too cold- though it depends somewhat on how good the windproofing is for your riding gear.
post #6 of 6 Old Jan 16th, 2010, 8:57 am

Hook direct to the battery with Canbus systems.

Warm & Safe Heated Clothing Sale- Lowest Prices!!

Contact Me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in