Hi All... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 11:11 pm Thread Starter

Hi All...

Hello People: My name is Rob and I just bought a 2001 K1200LT in November and Thought I would say Hi to all... But I have one question, not about the bike but about Helmets. I have a problem. I have to were a 5 XL helmet. I know that is a big head... I've heard it all. But I was wondering if anyone here has heard of any other company that will make one that size besides Vega? Vega's are DOT but not Snell, and I would really like to find a flip. I have e-mailed about every other company I can think of and have had NO luck. So I thought I might pick your Brains and see what happens... Thanks and Happy New Year. Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 7:37 am

Re: Hi All...

Hey Rob,

Welcome to the asylum and congrats on your purchase!

Found this on a Googly search which may be of help:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm

Good luck on your find since the LT will demand the use of a helmet for proper use in most parts of the world. Let us know how you make out and post some pic's...

Regards...

Mugz

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #3 of 7 Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 8:51 am

Thumbs up Re: Hi All...

Rob,

I big welcome from NW MO.

I've not seen a question quite like yours before on this site, but I'm betting you'll get some good results.

I've never seen a site as helpful as this one is.

Vern

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

post #4 of 7 Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 1:10 pm

A quick Google web search came up with at least one other company:

Zox ---- Zox Home Page

I didn't see any modular helmets and I don't really know anything about them other then they seem inexpensive.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #5 of 7 Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 9:22 pm Thread Starter

I want to thank you guys for the help... As for this being a little strange of a question. You might be able to tell that this is something that I have not been able to understand for years. How all the helmet companies out there can and will let one or two companies make a size like this with no others doing it. You would think that even if they all made one in a limited number. That they would sell... I have always said that I do not put a price on safety, and I don't. I would paid anything to get a much safer helmet to were. But all of them have said NO. As for my screen name - noggin- That is how I got it... The size of my head... Thanks Again Rob

post #6 of 7 Old Jan 4th, 2010, 11:46 am

First, you won't find many flip-ups that are Snell rated. I think Schubert is the only modular that has a Snell rating. Almost all others are DOT only.

Next, be aware not all alphanumeric sizing across the manufacturers is the same. When checking with the different helmet vendors, give them the numerical size you need (inches or centimeters) and they might have something.

Finally, be aware there are different "shape" helmet fits. There are some that are more round, and some that are more oblong. If you need a round, you may end up looking for a bigger oblong to try to fit when in actuality, it will never fit right.

Given all this, you really have to fit check all the different brands to know what will fit.

Congrats on the getting an LT, welcome to the forum and good luck with the bucket search.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #7 of 7 Old Jan 5th, 2010, 8:48 pm Thread Starter

Is there any of you guys close to the Cincinnati area. I can just go buy a metal trash can and all I will need is some people to mold it to my head... aka use a BFH. I think that might work. Thanks Again...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in