quiet helmet - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Dec 25th, 2009, 1:38 pm Thread Starter

quiet helmet

Has anyone got a reccomendation for quiet full face helmet. I am in the market for a new full face helmet, I would like to have one that has good ventilation as well since most of travels are in the Arizona summer heat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Dec 25th, 2009, 1:55 pm

Re: quiet helmet

Replaced my Schubert Concept with a Shoei Multi-Tech, a couple of years ago.
Quieter, lighter, good peripheral field of vision.
Comfortable, even on long rides, like an Iron Butt.
post #3 of 28 Old Dec 25th, 2009, 4:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT_Pilot
Replaced my Schubert Concept with a Shoei Multi-Tech, a couple of years ago.
Quieter, lighter, good peripheral field of vision.
Comfortable, even on long rides, like an Iron Butt.
I like my Multi-Tech as well. It is a bit louder with the vents open, but it is well ventilated when they are.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #4 of 28 Old Dec 26th, 2009, 7:43 am

I consistently ride in the desert heat all summer. Last summer was brutal, saw more 118 deg days in a month than I care to remember.

Used the multitec also. I also used a corsair for years before that. To this day I think the corsair is one of the best helmets known to man in several respects, venting included.

The multitec feels heavy sometimes. The vents are great but...I can't open the vents when it gets past about 113 anyways, lets way too much heat in.

I'm talking mostly about my K1200S riding regarding the full cov. On the LT, I used several depending on the trip, including the aria SZ-M (flip shield), which is really my fav but not a full cov. I find earplugs may not be needed all the time on the LT if the windsheild is adjusted just right with any of the choices.

Its hard to give up the utility of the shoei (especially if you like coffee) but I'm thinking I'll go back to the corsair (a new one) when I'm ready to ride again, easier on a damaged neck I think. Still noisy, not sure you can get away from that with any helmet.

The SZ-M is the quietest on the LT in my opinion, but again, not a full cov.
post #5 of 28 Old Dec 26th, 2009, 9:23 am

I'm a Shoei loyalist, been using a RF1000 since 2005. Very comfortable, good looking, top notch quality.

Dave

2010 K1300GT
2009 1200RT
2005 GL1800
1992 ZX-10
1984 500 Interceptor
post #6 of 28 Old Dec 26th, 2009, 9:25 am
Lifetime Supporter

As far a quite goes, the KBC TK8 has been the quietest helmet I've ridden in.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 28 Old Dec 26th, 2009, 12:20 pm

Don't know if you can get a quiet helmet and have the ventilation required for Arizona. I've owned Shoei's X-11 and their Multi-Tec. Typical high quality workmanship you'd expect from Shoei. As far as being quiet I'd rate them as average. I will say if you don't need a modular helmet the X-11 flat out has the best ventilation of any helmet I've ever worn. They're both on the shelf now and I wear a Shark Evoline. Noise levels about the same but I have a convertible helmet with an internal sun shade. It's nice being able to convert from full face to 3/4 while on the move.

2011 CVO FLTRUSE
post #8 of 28 Old Mar 15th, 2010, 6:29 am

Have a look at the tests in Webbikeword.
post #9 of 28 Old Mar 15th, 2010, 7:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbikin
---------------------------------snipped-------------------------------

The SZ-M is the quietest on the LT in my opinion, but again, not a full cov.
That was also my experience. The Arai SZ-M was my choice out of all the helmets I tried, even though it is not a full face helmet. I had three really bad accidents wearing them, the last one took a real beating (80 MPH tumble down an interstate), but no head or face injuries other than a little quickly healed road rash on my nose. The flip up shield was ripped off.

I tried a Schuberth Concept once, got rid of it because of the noise!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 28 Old Mar 15th, 2010, 2:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

My Arai Quantum is with out a doubt the quietest helmet I have ever owned. I usually ride with my Nolan X 1000 because I like the flip up feature, but the Arai is far quieter than the Nolan.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #11 of 28 Old Mar 24th, 2010, 6:22 am

I'm sort of between helmets as I just replaced (warranty adjustment) my 4 1/2 year old Nolan 102 flip-up, with a new Nolan 103 flip-up helmet. The thing I don't like about the new Nolan 103 is the increased noise. Just the other day I met a rider with a new Scorpion flip-up and he seemed to be pretty satisfied with the helmet and lack of noise.

Anyone else using a new Scorpion flip-up? I'm not sure of the model number, but I think it's the only one they make. I really prefer the flip-up model and understand that they are going to be noisier than one that is a solid full face.

I think the model number of the Scorpion is EX0-900. It had an interesting internal pump to make the insides better conform to your face. The one I saw was painted neon green!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #12 of 28 Old Mar 26th, 2010, 11:33 am

From all the helmets I owned on the last 20+ years, I found the new Nolan N-43 Trilogy being the lighter and quiest of all. I went for the Motorrad version, there is another therad talking about this model only on this forum.
If you are a winter rider, I highly recomend to go with pin-lock insert too. This is a optically perfect silicone you insert between 2 pins on the inside of the visor, for anti-fog purposes. Was introduced in US last year, but has more than 2 years in European markets.

http://www.pinlock.com

Leo

K1200LT 01, active
Yamaha VSTAR 650 00, sold
Goldwing GL1200 92, sold
Yamaha Virago XV1000 85, sold
Yamaha Special XS850 80, sold
Suzuki TS100 76, driven to the ground
post #13 of 28 Old Mar 26th, 2010, 2:45 pm

Dano,

I own the scorpion Scorpion EXO-900 Helmet , no noise and very comfortable, has built in sun visor, and converts to 3/4 helment..

05 LT (ocean blue) "Jenny"
post #14 of 28 Old Mar 27th, 2010, 9:20 am
cwo

I have a Scorpion also, and really like it. Sorry. but I can't think of the number of it.
post #15 of 28 Old Apr 9th, 2010, 6:04 pm

Don't know the quietest but I can vouch for one of the noisiest. HJC Symax II. Really doesn't matter now that I wear molded earbuds. It is almost scary quiet. Come to think of it the molded buds have apparently fixed the squeaky factory rear brake pads. I don't hear them anymore either!!!

Huh! Who'da thunk???

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #16 of 28 Old Apr 9th, 2010, 6:20 pm

I went with the HJC FS 15 solid ( Yellow )
No earplugs.
Seems to work well for us and the price was right ( New Enough )

Eric von Laue

3Cyl Kawa ( a long time ago)
450 Yamaha Seca ( maybe it was a Maxim )
1100 Honda Magna
650 Honda XR ( to Guatemala and back)
1990 Honda PC800 ( Mountain Mama )
2000 BMW 1200LT ( Maxamillion )

Keep the rubber side down
post #17 of 28 Old Apr 9th, 2010, 8:14 pm

Eric, I have a friend who has an HJC full coverage helmet. He also finds it to be acceptably quiet. I have heard that the modular helmets (like the Symax II and others) tend to be noisier than their non-modular full coverage counterparts. I will never go back to the non modular helmets as the modulars are so darn handy. Thirsty? Want to talk to someone at the gas station? Need to yell at a passing cager?(I don't recommend this) The modular makes this easy.

Plus I can put the helmet on without removing my spectacles. This alone is worth the price of admission. Especially when you can eliminate the noise with the molded earbuds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountianMama
I went with the HJC FS 15 solid ( Yellow )
No earplugs.
Seems to work well for us and the price was right ( New Enough )

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #18 of 28 Old Apr 9th, 2010, 10:29 pm

I have read similar reports about the noise on a modular, my main reason for staying
away from them.
Maybe the question should be, what is the quietest modular helmet available.

Note: The original question was about full face helmets.

Eric von Laue

3Cyl Kawa ( a long time ago)
450 Yamaha Seca ( maybe it was a Maxim )
1100 Honda Magna
650 Honda XR ( to Guatemala and back)
1990 Honda PC800 ( Mountain Mama )
2000 BMW 1200LT ( Maxamillion )

Keep the rubber side down
post #19 of 28 Old May 28th, 2010, 6:30 pm

I'm replacing my Nolan N102 with another one. Found one online for $219.99. It's been a good helmet and I like it...........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #20 of 28 Old May 28th, 2010, 7:48 pm
ajs

My wife and I have been using Nolan N100E flip face helmets for the last 5 years. I have always found mine to be noisy, restrictive in the neck for shoulder checks and not the best peripheral vision. This winter I bought two new Nolan N43 Trilogy helmets. One complaint I had was the visor doesn't have intermediate stops. It is either fully open or fully closed. I fixed that. Both helmets now have intermediate stops. The peripheral vision is the best I've ever had on any helmet and it is not nearly confining in the neck area. My wife loves hers too.

Now to the noise. When I first rode with it this spring, I found the noise level to be similar to the N100E, maybe a little quieter. I added a Cardo Scala Q2 Multi set to the helmets for bike to bike communication. We took them on a test ride this past Monday to check out the communication capability. They worked very well, sometimes at great distances. During this testing I suddenly noticed the helmet was very quiet. Almost to the point of being silent. I couldn't believe it. I am still reluctant to. It is due for further testing in the very near future, but I can tell you I am very happy. Oh yes, one other thing, it is much lighter than the N100E's

Austin

2005 LT Ocean Blue
2006 Bushtec Roadstar Ocean Blue
2005 R1200GS Black
2010 Piaggio MP3 400 Midnight Blue (Marsha's ride)
post #21 of 28 Old May 29th, 2010, 9:16 am

highroamer said it first check out webbikeworld , they have tested a lot of helmets and the noise factor is one of their tests

http://www.webbikeworld.com/

Rusty Snyder
post #22 of 28 Old May 29th, 2010, 9:27 am

The flip-up helmets inherently are noisier than a standard full face helmet, so I would stay away from them since are you are seeking the quietest helmet possible. The best helmet I have had for ventilation was a Shoei X11, the noise factor was acceptable which is to be expected considering the amount of ventilation the helmet offered. The quietest helmet I have owned was the Arai Quantum. I currently own the HJC Symax 2 where I have sacrificed noise level for the convenience it offers and the ventilation in the Phoenix heat is very good. If I Were looking strictly for a very good helmet with the lowest noise level, I would get another Arai.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #23 of 28 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 8:23 am

I replaced a noisy HJC with a BMW System 6 and the noise is considerably quieter.

1986 Yamaha FJ600
2002 Honda VTX 1800C
2006 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT
post #24 of 28 Old Jun 4th, 2010, 7:41 am

I think Schuberth claimed the C3 was the quietest helmet (flip or full face) when I purchased one a year or so back.

It is very quiet but after 17,000 mile I am still not sure if I like "flip lids" or not!
post #25 of 28 Old Jun 4th, 2010, 8:13 am

I ride with a Scorpion EXO-700 Full Face and like the comfort, lack of noise, quality, and safety (DOT & SNELL approved with kevlar reinforcement throughout the shell). I have tried the EXO-900 (Scorpion's only modular version) which came out two months after I purchased mine.....I like the quietness of the 700 and the fact that it is a solid helmet with fewer parts to fail in an (gulp) accident.

Go with what you're comfortable with and wear it all the time....I'm sure there are opinions for every rider who owns a different helmet!

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #26 of 28 Old Apr 15th, 2011, 6:33 pm

Arai is the quietest and lightest helmet I've put on. Makes the Nolan N102 Flip Up seem like a lead weight now.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #27 of 28 Old Apr 16th, 2011, 12:35 am

Garage

My vote is Shoei.
That's what I have now the Multitec. It has all the things you asked for: good venting, good structure, mechanics could be done with one hand and J&M head set and boom mic fits perfectly. No I don't have the pinlock but so far I did not need it. When I first started riding I used a Bell open face. Over the years . . . 32 I have stuck with different Shoei and the original Schubert which I still have. That helmet is well made (W Germany) steel locking latches but 2 hands needed to release the flip up and a bit heavy.
So I have only ridden with 3 different styles of helmets but have tried on many others for style, fit,weight and optimum sight. Two things head shape should compliment helmet shape. And the lighter the better. Technology has really made this industry improve by leaps and bounds over the years. As far as outside noise goes I still want to be able to hear a horn, siren or plane crashing over my head. If I wanted absolute quiet I would go to the library
ride safe
post #28 of 28 Old Apr 27th, 2011, 8:21 am

Having tried the Multitec and a Schuberth C3, I can say the C3 beats the Shoei by far in being quiet. Weight seems to be about the same, or close enough that I can't tell a difference.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in