Aerostich Factory Visit? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 3:35 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Aerostich Factory Visit?

My wife and I are zeroing in on Aerostich as our "final" riding gear. With the large number of options they have, and the customizing they can do to their suits, it seems like the way to go.

They have no retail outlets, but their web site says you can visit them in their Duluth, MN facilities. Anyone ever done that? If so, is it just a factory tour or will they do a "fitting" while you're there -- like some of the custom seat makers? It would be awesome to get a professional fitting as opposed to sending suits back and forth, trying to get just the right fit.

TIA.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 7:23 pm

Garage
Smile Yes thay will do thae fitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
My wife and I are zeroing in on Aerostich as our "final" riding gear. With the large number of options they have, and the customizing they can do to their suits, it seems like the way to go.

They have no retail outlets, but their web site says you can visit them in their Duluth, MN facilities. Anyone ever done that? If so, is it just a factory tour or will they do a "fitting" while you're there -- like some of the custom seat makers? It would be awesome to get a professional fitting as opposed to sending suits back and forth, trying to get just the right fit.

TIA.

I've ridden there six times in the past ten years and each visit has been a wonderful experience. Yes they will fit custom fit you usually by having you fit on several sample suits and sit on their "static" motorcycle. By doing this you can feel where the suit binds and where it is too loose while in your customary riding position. After that you can select your suit colors and view the array of standard and ballistic colours. All in all it is a fun visit and the staff are incredibly knowledgeable in tailoring a perfect fit.

I believe a visit to their factory is essential , as riding gear costs so much and comfort and fit is critical, plus I believe they still offer a discount for visiting.

Aerostich has been my daily riding gear for 20+ and I could not imagine riding in anything else today. I've sampled several other products over the years , but none come close to the quality of the "stich" , so I think you are in for a treat.
Plan on spending some time in Duluth it is a fun town with lots of sights and happening.

Last edited by patrick2000; Feb 5th, 2006 at 7:30 pm.
post #3 of 9 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 8:36 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks!

Patrick, thanks for the feedback. Good to know that this trip -- which is a real journey from Ohio -- is worthwhile.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

post #4 of 9 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 9:36 pm

They do in fact have a retail showroom, though it's small and a bit "rustic". Everything in their catalog is available in the showroom.

As Patrick said, they do custom fitting and you can choose your own fabric colors from the samples they have on display. Finally, and this is no small thing, everything is 10% off the catalog price, including the suit you're going to have them customize!

In the off season they're not always open on Saturdays so call ahead if you're planing to visit before about the middle of April.

For lodging, there are several nice places right on Lake Superior in the "Canal Park" district. Or, on the west side of Duluth, right on Interstate 35, the Spirit Mountain Inn is hard to beat for convenience and value.
post #5 of 9 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 9:59 pm

Garage
I second the "Canal Park" area for lodging and then complete your trip back to Ohio by taking in the Michigan upper peninsula ( Da U.P.). After that cross into Canada at the Soo and continue East around the lakes till your home in Ohio. It's a great way to go.
post #6 of 9 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 11:00 pm

Thumbs up been there

Wife and I did two years ago. We stayed in Minneapolis, did the Ice Festival, then drove up to Duluth for the day. As stated you get a 10% on site factory discount. If you have their catalog it's on the contents page. If you are buying two suits, plus additional gear as we did, it's a nice savings. They took all the measurements, had us try on a number of suits and sit on a mock motorcycle just to ensure a perfect fit. Doing it in person beats having to ship it back in the event we measured something wrong on our end. I travel a lot so our airfare and hotel was free, due to travel membership programs, so we did not have to figure in that cost. Had a great weekend! The custom suits made to our specifications, and other items we bought, were shipped to us about two weeks later once they were completed. No regrets.

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
post #7 of 9 Old Feb 6th, 2006, 6:29 am

Smile Aerostich Factory Visit

A visit to the factory is a great idea! They have a lot of goodies. The 10% is good on anything in the store. On the riding suits you also benefit from the lack of sales tax in the State of Minnesota on "clothing" This isn't brought up much but it does add another good percentage.
Vagabond
post #8 of 9 Old Feb 6th, 2006, 6:37 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond
A visit to the factory is a great idea! They have a lot of goodies. The 10% is good on anything in the store. On the riding suits you also benefit from the lack of sales tax in the State of Minnesota on "clothing" This isn't brought up much but it does add another good percentage.
Vagabond
Bob (and others): this is all good info -- thanks. I knew they did retail at their production facility in Duluth, but did not know about the factory discount and sales tax issue. That makes it about 16% cheaper; of course ,there are $$ involved in traveling there but that's half the fun, eh? (practicing my northern MN/Canadian language usage...)

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #9 of 9 Old Feb 6th, 2006, 6:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I highly recommend the visit Duluth option. Custom fit the first time and the folks are first rate!

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in