Heated Clothing - Confused!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Oct 30th, 2009, 9:06 am Thread Starter

Heated Clothing - Confused!!!

It's starting to get chilly here in the northeast so I've been lurking around here for some heated gear, and can say that I am officially confused.

I was told, when I bought my LT, that the power outlet on the bike would allow me to plug in heated clothing among other things. -- I've got that.

All of the jacket liners I see require a heat controller of some sort. This avoids the "full-on" or "full-off" issue. -- I've got that.

What I'm confused about is the fuse and battery connectors as in this image:

Why would I need to connect to the battery if the powerlet connector is already there?

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Oct 30th, 2009, 9:25 am

Re: Heated Clothing - Confused!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman10
It's starting to get chilly here in the northeast so I've been lurking around here for some heated gear, and can say that I am officially confused.

I was told, when I bought my LT, that the power outlet on the bike would allow me to plug in heated clothing among other things. -- I've got that.

All of the jacket liners I see require a heat controller of some sort. This avoids the "full-on" or "full-off" issue. -- I've got that.

What I'm confused about is the fuse and battery connectors as in this image:

Why would I need to connect to the battery if the powerlet connector is already there?

Ray,

Short version: what you took a picture of doesn't go in the accessory plugs, it gets wired directly to the battery.

Longer version:

You have two "BMW/European plugs" on the LT for power, one by your left shin as you sit on the bike, the other by the passenger. Both allow you to power up accessories that have "BMW" or "Euro" plug ends (as opposed to conventional 12 volt accessories that are larger in diameter--think "cigarette lighter" accessories like you'd use in your car, like a cell phone charger, radar detector, etc.)

If you want to use a conventional 12-volt-ended accessory in either of those, you need an adapter that essentially reduces the size of the plug so it fits (you can get these at the BMW dealership or online--many of the vendors on this site sell them as well).

What you have in your picture is an option to permanently wire up your vest/heated garment, directly to the battery. The item on the right would wire up to the battery (or better, to a aux fuse box like the blue sea), and you'd have a foot or two of wire that you can keep under the seat. When you want to use your heated garment, you'd then attach the device to the left, plugging that into the device on the right (which is fused) on one end, the other end into your garment.

When you're done riding, disconnect the heat-troller (or whatever the manufacturer calls the device on the right) and stash it in your top box or garage), lift your bike-s seat and tuck away the wire from the part on the right of your picture, and you're good to go again.

Permanently wiring up a set-up like this one has a couple benefits. One, you're fused, so there's an added level of safety (for you and your bike's electrical system). Two, you don't have the wires crossing your legs or your passenger so you won't be as distracted when you ride. And three, it gives a "cleaner" look, as the wires go straight from under the seat to your, uh, "seat" I guess.

P

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #3 of 13 Old Oct 30th, 2009, 9:29 am

You can either attach the fused lead to your battery or put a Powerlet plug on the end of that cord to plug into the outlets on your bike.

When we were shopping heated clothing we were told the same thing. It's misleading. Yes, the bike has power outlets. No, the Powerlet adapter is not included with the heat troller or clothing you buy.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles

post #4 of 13 Old Oct 30th, 2009, 9:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
Ray,

Short version: what you took a picture of doesn't go in the accessory plugs, it gets wired directly to the battery.

Longer version:

You have two "BMW/European plugs" on the LT for power, one by your left shin as you sit on the bike, the other by the passenger. Both allow you to power up accessories that have "BMW" or "Euro" plug ends (as opposed to conventional 12 volt accessories that are larger in diameter--think "cigarette lighter" accessories like you'd use in your car, like a cell phone charger, radar detector, etc.)

If you want to use a conventional 12-volt-ended accessory in either of those, you need an adapter that essentially reduces the size of the plug so it fits (you can get these at the BMW dealership or online--many of the vendors on this site sell them as well).

What you have in your picture is an option to permanently wire up your vest/heated garment, directly to the battery. The item on the right would wire up to the battery (or better, to a aux fuse box like the blue sea), and you'd have a foot or two of wire that you can keep under the seat. When you want to use your heated garment, you'd then attach the device to the left, plugging that into the device on the right (which is fused) on one end, the other end into your garment.

When you're done riding, disconnect the heat-troller (or whatever the manufacturer calls the device on the right) and stash it in your top box or garage), lift your bike-s seat and tuck away the wire from the part on the right of your picture, and you're good to go again.

Permanently wiring up a set-up like this one has a couple benefits. One, you're fused, so there's an added level of safety (for you and your bike's electrical system). Two, you don't have the wires crossing your legs or your passenger so you won't be as distracted when you ride. And three, it gives a "cleaner" look, as the wires go straight from under the seat to your, uh, "seat" I guess.

P
Nice write up Pete........

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #5 of 13 Old Oct 30th, 2009, 12:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk610lt
Nice write up Pete........

Thanks! Only one typo, one mystery extra ")" and one "-" when I meant to type ', so I'll take it!

Pete

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #6 of 13 Old Oct 30th, 2009, 1:05 pm

Picture to clarify is attached. find this at the link below:

http://gerbing.com/Products/accessories.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	access_1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	25157  

735,834 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 84,612 miles (new)
Total BMW miles 497,451
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #7 of 13 Old Oct 30th, 2009, 3:17 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

You can also buy it from Raffy here on this site.
CLICK HERE for info.
It states it is for Gerbing but it also fits my wifes Tour Tech

Stevie Shreeve
post #8 of 13 Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 8:24 am Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your insight. I get it now.

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #9 of 13 Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 9:49 am

Give me a shout, I carry the BMW power cord Larry

Warm & Safe Heated Clothing Sale- Lowest Prices!!

Contact Me.

post #10 of 13 Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 3:36 pm

Some "real world" advice from someone who's had several heated garments and wiring configurations.

First and simplest, the coiled cord and BMW plug, plugged into the power outlets,

Imagine sitting on your bike and bending down to plug in/unplug your jacket/liner
while your passenger is trying to reach behind her to plug in her jacket
this will happen every time you get on or of the bike
and will become annoying and inconvenient after just a short while

and then there's the times you'll forget to unplug your jacket when you get of the bike at a gas station
and the cord will disconnect at the jacket possibly landing on the exhaust pipe

or you might forget about it and drive away with it hanging from the outlet (I only did that once) it was dark.

Have I painted a "bleak" enough picture, using the powerlets for heated clothing is a pain.

Hardwiring them and putting the wires under the seat works out very well,
when you want them simply lift the front seat and pull them up, and plug in there
mine comes out in the front of my seat (no bending)
her two (pants and jacket) come out between the front and back seat

the temperature control modules are worth the extra $$
and if you want to you can make them a permanent part of the bike,

Mine is just below the GPS on the right, hers are by the passenger radio controls.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heated 001 (Medium).jpg
Views:	260
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	25201   Click image for larger version

Name:	heated 002a (Medium).JPG
Views:	268
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	25202  

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #11 of 13 Old Mar 8th, 2011, 8:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Some "real world" advice from someone who's had several heated garments and wiring configurations.

Hardwiring them and putting the wires under the seat works out very well, when you want them simply lift the front seat and pull them up, and plug in there mine comes out in the front of my seat (no bending) her two (pants and jacket) come out between the front and back seat

the temperature control modules are worth the extra $$ and if you want to you can make them a permanent part of the bike,

Mine is just below the GPS on the right, hers are by the passenger radio controls.
I cannot tell you how much I appreciate this site.

I am getting the Warm & Safe liner from 12Volt Clothing and will now, thanks to these messages, mount the Heat-troller somewhere on the bike. I like where you mounted your controller.

Do you have some kind of holder under the seat to hold the wires and/or connector while you are not using them? Even while you are using the rider's connectors do you use a holder for it then on the "tank" in front of your seat?
post #12 of 13 Old Mar 8th, 2011, 9:28 pm

Thumbs up Re: Heated Clothing - Confused!!!

Just a thought for you. You can wire directly to the battery and bring the female coax end up in front of the driver's seat. Then you can get a coax to sae converter and plug in your battery tender. Makes a very neat setup. I velcro the troller on the right side of the faring, the other end of the heat troller goes to the jacket. (warm and Safe). I leave the battery tender at home. Cord is not long enough, besides, the heat troller uses the plug.

The warm and safe site explains this.
post #13 of 13 Old Mar 10th, 2011, 11:54 am

No holder for the wires just a rubber cap that keeps it from contacting metal,
it's either hanging out underneath or sticking out fromundah the seat.

Since I have 3 thermostatic controls (one for me, two for her)
I have all my accesories wired into a individually fused power strip under the passenger seat
which is powered by a relay wired directly to the battery,

when the ignition is off everything is off,

the relay is powered with a main fuse that just protrudes from under the passenger seat
when I lift the front seat I can pull the main fuse
that comes in real handy for working on the bike or low battery starting conditions.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in