Riding Gear help? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 4:06 pm Thread Starter

Riding Gear help?

I've been looking though the threads on Riding Gear and like the opinions on the products and thanks for the number of website links...I saved a bunch of them. So maybe you can help me with the time it would take to find what I'm looking for....if it exists?

Features
A suite (jacket/pants) something with the safety padding (or equivalent) if I biff. The pants need to be longer like my Gortex bib's so they cover my ankle when seated.

Good venting for warm weather and a light color. I know once you are moving so is the air but dark colors suck in the sunlight when you aren't!

Doesn't need to be water proof I have good Gortex in that event.

I like the idea of layering....with lighter shell type (i.e. ballistic nylon) with a zip in liner for thermal protection later in the season.

All of the BMW wear is not only very pricey, but all dark colors.

OK all of you Senior Seasoned Touring riders and members...I'm all ears...and maybe a touch of hair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 5:00 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Look up the Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket. The entire bottom 2/3rds zips off to reveal a mesh jacket, but all the armor and heavy cordura stays in place at the elbows and shoulders. It also comes with a built-in back protector. When it cools off, just zip the lower panel back on and you're good to go.

I'd rate the comfort as high (especially in hot weather), the quality as good (I've had minor issues with zipper pulls), and the value as excellent (low price). My main complaint is that the waterproofness comes from a separate liner (included), but that seems to be pretty standard these days.

I got mine in grey/black, as I also wanted a bit lighter color for the heat. It isn't quite my ultimate jacket, but I've worn it daily for both local and long trips for the past few years, from 30 degrees (with heated liner) up to 115 degrees (just too hot). And the price is great to boot.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 15 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:56 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Look up the Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket. The entire bottom 2/3rds zips off to reveal a mesh jacket, but all the armor and heavy cordura stays in place at the elbows and shoulders. It also comes with a built-in back protector. When it cools off, just zip the lower panel back on and you're good to go.

I'd rate the comfort as high (especially in hot weather), the quality as good (I've had minor issues with zipper pulls), and the value as excellent (low price). My main complaint is that the waterproofness comes from a separate liner (included), but that seems to be pretty standard these days.

I got mine in grey/black, as I also wanted a bit lighter color for the heat. It isn't quite my ultimate jacket, but I've worn it daily for both local and long trips for the past few years, from 30 degrees (with heated liner) up to 115 degrees (just too hot). And the price is great to boot.
That is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for!

post #4 of 15 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 9:44 am

Check out www.Brosh.com

I just ordered the Gray/black Brosh Ultra CK Sport Jacket at www.Brosh.com (it's made in Israel not in the Asian countries). Very attractive and matching pants too in th light color in which you prefer - me too. This is a warmer weather jacket - not a winter jacket. Most summer jackets are butt ugly but this one thankfully is not.
post #5 of 15 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 10:10 am

http://www.motoport.com/

I personally don't have any MotoPort gear but I am strongly considering it. If you read on their site about the advantages of Kevlar I think that you will be convinced.

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
post #6 of 15 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 11:27 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
motoport gear

I have the motoport kevlar tops and bottom. I love this stuff. All made to my measurements. Just be prepared for a long wait and a rather unique ordering procedure. Wayne, the owner, met me at a coffee shop to take measurements! In any event, the quality is unequaled as well as the protection. Well worth substantial investment.

2005 K1200 LT "Graphite Graydude Metallic"

Todd "Graydude" Ask me why I'm the best Realtor you've ever met!

IBA#22266
post #7 of 15 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 11:45 am
Ted

Quote - (it's made in Israel not in the Asian countries)

Jerrod - why the comparison to Asia?

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #8 of 15 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 12:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I'm on the same trail as you -- looking for a better (much better) jacket/pants combo or riding suit. Many people like the Aerostitch products; I'm considering a ride up there (Duluth, MN -- they don't have any retail outlets) during the summer with my wife, to get fitted and to see the products. I can't imagine spending $600-$1,000 without seeing the product first.

I'll be watching this thread. Thanks for starting it.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #9 of 15 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 12:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I'm happy to chime in on this topic any time as it has obssesed me for years.

Much of todays textile gear is very good. However, for me, most of it gets crossed off the list immediately because I insist on having my riding gear be waterproof WITHOUT an internal liner unless it's mesh. That narrows the list WAY down.

After years of looking for the perfect all year, all weather suit, I gave up. Just doesn't exist. However, I'm down to two that when used separately or mixed and matched cover the entire temprature and trip type spectrum (IMHO):

1) Aerostich Darien jacket and pants (with Gerbing, not Aerostich liner) - Simply the best there is when temps are between 0 and 85 degrees F, rain or shine.

2) Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 jacket and Phoenix pants - for temps above 85F. This is the only mesh gear I've found that works for me in hot humid weather. Most others are too tight a weave or not 100% mesh. Plus the features on the 4.0 jacket are first rate. Quality has come WAY up over early JR mesh gear. For this I do have to carry a Gortex Paclite suit for rain.

The great part is that when the temps are going to go from cool to warm during the trip, I can remove the armor from the Darien and wear it over the JR stuff as a cold/rain barrier.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #10 of 15 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 12:43 pm

Here is a very good comparison between Aerostitch Darren and Motoport.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motoport/

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
post #11 of 15 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 12:45 pm

vance

I've never been happier with a summer mesh jacket than my vanson mesh armor, I picked it up in TX at Lonestar for around 250 I think it was, maybe a hair more. I'm sure there are some cooler rigs out there but I wanted the protection they provide. It looks cool too.

I even tested the elbow armor going down in TX Not a scratch nor mark on either of us. Ok ok, it was low speed but still....watch those culverts, heheh.

Of course, money talks. If I didn't waste money for years buying stuff that worked but I didn't really like all that much, I'd end up right where I'm at.

BMW Savannah II (not heat tested yet, ok in the cold with gerbing liner), gerbing liner, firstgear outer rain jkt, it takes little space and a lifesaver since its built for bikers.

Still use my black darien pants but would like to replace those with matching Savannah pants (in the lighter matching color, no more left in USA)...held touring gloves (a little hot in summer). The dariens aren't too bad in the heat and I've seen plenty of that.

I like the comfort of the BMW gear. And from the looks of it, I'll never have to replace it from wearout. I'll let you know in 10 years if thats a true statement.

let us know what you decide....good luck..geo
post #12 of 15 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 1:57 pm

I mostly made the Asian quip because I have found their textile paraphernalia either to be low quality and/or especially ugly; and Joe Rocket... need I say more? Most of their stuff looks like Captain Kirk wore it on the enterprise and their quality is MIA. I know some of you have JR stuff and love it... don't need to flame me, this is only a biased subjective opinion I've owned plenty of their gear including their Phoenix Jacket, their gloves, and their Ballistic Series winter gear and it all had major design flaws. You get what you pay for - I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Quote - (it's made in Israel not in the Asian countries)

Jerrod - why the comparison to Asia?
post #13 of 15 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 4:34 pm Thread Starter

Thanks to everybody!

As you can see I am just a Junior Member but someday want to be a Senior Member with the experience and stories that you all relate. While most of you qualify your statements with "in my opinion" it is your opinion that I am looking for and do value.

But enough said....JUST THANKS! for being there.

I have come across some tan and beige colors on the websites I have been surfing....God if I could only remember which ones I'd share them now. But some of the items that I like what I've seen include Kevlar Blue Jeans...Ballistic Nylon with armour pants that you can zip off the lower half if you want to walk around in the summer (good idea). All have been sensibly priced too!

What I am looking for in gear is the same I was looking for in a bike and why I went LT. Comfort....Comfort....Comfort....followed by good looks with obvious thoughtful engineering which means the functionality is high.

I will keep you posted when I find my 1,2,3 options. Getting closer.
post #14 of 15 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 4:41 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Jerrod. Good website! Did you check out the "Cool Pants"?
post #15 of 15 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 8:32 pm

I got the BMW Tourguard coat for winter.100% water proof(not a water proof liner)...The liner in it a quilted liner but it hasn't got cold enough for it here on the coast...

For summer time I got the BMW Venting Machine, super breathable but fully armored.. They are pricey but I think you get what you pay for..I bought them for protection not because of price........Regards Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in