Darien Hi-viz - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 6:28 am Thread Starter

Darien Hi-viz

Okay, it's my turn...seems like a lot of questions on hi-viz jackets these days. I am heading to BMW Motorcycles of Atlanta today to try on an Olympia AST. Not sure about hi-viz anyway but would like to try out the jacket for fit, etc.

But, the Darien seems more "yellow" and Aerostich has a great reputation.

Anyone here have the Darien and can comment on the comfort and fit for temp ranges from 16F to 80F? I will pick up a mesh jacket next spring for the hotter weather and am hoping the Darien is the all-weather jacket I am looking for... or the AST...

thanks,

Just ride it!

dave
(Aka: Hawg)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 8:54 am

Re: Darien Hi-viz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.gt
Okay, it's my turn...seems like a lot of questions on hi-viz jackets these days. I am heading to BMW Motorcycles of Atlanta today to try on an Olympia AST. Not sure about hi-viz anyway but would like to try out the jacket for fit, etc.

Anyone here have the Darien and can comment on the comfort and fit for temp ranges from 16F to 80F? I will pick up a mesh jacket next spring for the hotter weather and am hoping the Darien is the all-weather jacket I am looking for... or the AST...

thanks,

I have an Olympia Bushwacker and the Darien, both in the Hi-Viz. The olympis is more on the green side of the yellow than the Darien. IMHO, the Olympia is much brighter and easier to spot in all light conditions.

The Darien is downright awesome when it comes to cold and wet riding conditions. During the winter, I wear the Gerbing Jacket liner inside the Darien and can comfortably ride down to single digit riding weather. It is also absolutely waterproof. For the same reason, I do not like to wear the Darien in the summer months. I prefer to wear the Olympia which has the mesh outer and a nice liner on the inside if I get rained on. FWIW, I always carry the second jacket in the side case while on a long ride, in case I have to go through a heavy downpour.

Both jackets are built very well and are very comfortable. Whe the Hi-viz jackets came to the market, I thought that they looked like the road crew was on 2-wheels and poked fun at them not realizing that I was also wearing a hi-viz vest all the time myself A couple of friends made some comments when I started wearing these and then people did start to realize that the benefits of wearing hi-viz riding gear

Prakash Krishnamurthy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 R1150RT Titanium Grey

post #3 of 7 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 9:09 am

I bought my Hi-Viz Darien when the color was first introduced. I have worn it year round but I have since purchased two ventilated Vanson jackets for use in really hot weather. I am very pleased with the Darien.

Aerostich changed the color a couple of years ago and their current Hi-Viz is brighter than mine was. Call them for a color swatch for a good comparison.

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 11:04 am
Lifetime Supporter

I owned an standard Darien for nearly 10 years. Loved it! Only truly waterproof garment I've ever owned (same for the Darien pants). However, mine was black and in Texas it was too hot to wear in the summer. I've since replaced the jacket with the Darien Lite in Tan and I love it even more. I can wear it in high humidity up to the low 90s. I still need a mesh jacket for the really hot days but the Darien Lite covers a very wide range of temps, is totally waterproof, and still offers excellent protection. If I ever wear out my original Darien pants, I'm going to replace them with the Lite version as well.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 5:15 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
I owned an standard Darien for nearly 10 years. Loved it! Only truly waterproof garment I've ever owned (same for the Darien pants). However, mine was black and in Texas it was too hot to wear in the summer. I've since replaced the jacket with the Darien Lite in Tan and I love it even more. I can wear it in high humidity up to the low 90s. I still need a mesh jacket for the really hot days but the Darien Lite covers a very wide range of temps, is totally waterproof, and still offers excellent protection. If I ever wear out my original Darien pants, I'm going to replace them with the Lite version as well.

Hey, Todd...that sounds like a good jacket! How do you handle the really cold days with the Darien Light?

Just ride it!

dave
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 5:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

thanks,

Well, just got back from BMWMA and tried on a LOT of jackets. Whew! The Olympia AST is a LOT of jacket and bulkier than I thought it would be but a size 2XL fit just fine. Tried the Olympia Mesh and it fit even better and for some reason I actually liked the Hi-viz yellow! $229 is a good price for that Big Bird jacket, too.

Now, I tried on the BMW Airflow and it fit good with the exception of the waist...no adjustments there and the bottom just flared out, not a good fit. Shame too as it is 25% off. Then I tried on the BMW Airflow 4 and it fit great with the waist adjustments. More money though.

THEN, I tried on the Tourguard and it felt okay but I really liked the Rally 2 Pro! The armor is something else! Adjustments and pockets galore. Big $$$, too. But that is one fine jacket. They didn't have any other models to try so that was it for today.

Sheesh...maybe the Olympia mesh in yellow for hot days and the Harley leather over the mesh jacket for cold days. Hmmm....

Just ride it!

dave
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 10:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Hey, Todd...that sounds like a good jacket! How do you handle the really cold days with the Darien Light?
Let me introduce you to me little friend: http://www.gerbing.com

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in