looking for a tank bag - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 6:02 pm Thread Starter

looking for a tank bag

I'm looking for a tank bag for my LT, so I'm looking for suggestions. I've noticed several of the RKA mini 8.5 for sale in the classifieds, but their already sold by the time I see them posted. One of the sellers did contact Me with a link to a web site with great prices and said I would love the bag. So does anyone have any other suggestions?

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Re: looking for a tank bag

I bought the RKA 11 bag for my 09 LT and love it I can fit all my gadgets as well as other items in it.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #3 of 36 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 7:49 pm

I have the Cortech super mini. This is the first tankbag I have ever used, but I do like it, easy on and off, and just unclip the bottom and you can get into the oddments box.

http://www.whitehorsepress.com/produ...oducts_id=4998

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

post #4 of 36 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 8:39 pm Thread Starter

Anyone have any pics of one mounted to the bike?
post #5 of 36 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 9:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamarider
I'm looking for a tank bag for my LT, so I'm looking for suggestions. I've noticed several of the RKA mini 8.5 for sale in the classifieds, but their already sold by the time I see them posted. One of the sellers did contact Me with a link to a web site with great prices and said I would love the bag. So does anyone have any other suggestions?

Jeff
I have the Marsee 10L Pocket Rocket bag with the corona mount and am generally happy with it. I posted a few impressions at the link below (I hope I pasted that in correctly). I have since taken a short trip with it (1200 miles) and haven't changed my opinion much. I did get a rain cover, but found that the rain cover isn't compatible with the electrical option. The front of the cover won't go all the way down as the electrical plug is in the way. This keeps the plastic window of the rain cover a couple of inches above the plastic lid of the Marsee bag at the front edge and makes it hard to see what is in the map pocket. I will probably try to have my wife cut a hole in the rain cover where the electrical lead plugs in and then stitch around it so it won't fray and unravel.

I made a foam insert to hold my Nuvi 255W GPS inside the plastic lid and that worked pretty well. Obviously, you can't hear the directions nor interact with the touch screen while riding, but it is easy to see the screen and follow the directions, except in very bright sunlight. It would be nice if RPW would offer some custom fit foam inserts sized to hold some of the more common auto GPS units such as the Nuvi (hint, hint!).

I added carabiners at all four corner loops of the bag and these worked great to keep the elecrical cable from rubbing on the LT tank and also my helmet intercom cord above the tank.

The corona mount is very convenient and worked well. It would be nice to have a mount that didn't require the magnets in the bag and thus allow much more space in the bag and without the risk of getting something near it that might be damaged by the magnetic field.

My main complaint is that by the time you get the electrical chargers and cords in the main compartment, there is very little room left for anything else.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...121#post405121

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #6 of 36 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 9:15 pm

Not a very good shot but it shows it

Tankbag

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #7 of 36 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 9:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamarider
Anyone have any pics of one mounted to the bike?

Here is my RKA tank bag

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08300033.JPG
Views:	1153
Size:	368.1 KB
ID:	23895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cimg0246.jpg
Views:	1147
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	23896  

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

Last edited by mwnahas; Jul 28th, 2009 at 9:36 pm.
post #8 of 36 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 9:02 am

Is there a bag (I thought I read about it once) that fits over the oddments box lid? This way you don't have to remove the bag or un-clip anything to get to the oddments box.

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #9 of 36 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 9:24 am

"Is there a bag (I thought I read about it once) that fits over the oddments box lid? This way you don't have to remove the bag or un-clip anything to get to the oddments box."

The BMW brand bag does this, but it is small and the mounting method (velcro on glued pads) is less than desirable.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
post #10 of 36 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 9:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman10
Is there a bag (I thought I read about it once) that fits over the oddments box lid? This way you don't have to remove the bag or un-clip anything to get to the oddments box.
The OEM BMW tank bag and the Chicane tank bag may be what you are referring to. The BMW tank bag is functional but small and unfortunately, the Chicane is no longer available unless you can find one that someone is selling. Both the BMW bag and the Chicane use velcro straps in the front and a loop at the rear to secure it to the oddiments box. Attached is a picture of the Chicane with an optional (but necessary) map holder and the loop that secures the rear of the bag to lid. The BMW bag is similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3193.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	23905   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3194.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	23906  

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

ďNot all those who wander are lost.Ē

post #11 of 36 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 1:46 pm

The Chicane guys were at Paonia and were selling their gear. I think they are planning on gearing back up. I did a quick search on the internet and didn't find a site for them, but I'll bet somebody here can chime in and let you know how to get in touch with them. I use the RKA bag, but I like the size and additional storage that the Chicane bag offers.

Rango Springer
Dumas, TX
2000 K1200LTC Champagne
Livin' life in the fast lane on the high plains of West Texas!
post #12 of 36 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 2:05 pm

Garage

I use the Cortech super mini and I really like how roomy it is. Several interior pockets help keep it organized and a small zippered pocket on the seat side. It comes with a rain cover stored in an inside pocket that I have never used.

It is easy to take on or off with an adjustable strap that loops around the radio head and pulls down nicely on the oddiments cover. There is a strap that hangs down toward the seat that quick release attaches to a strap that is connected under the seat. I have it adjusted so I can quick release it and lift it to have easy access to the oddiments box where I have my XM radio. A nice neoprene pad protects the tank. Many times I do not have to connect the quick release as it sits snuggly without movement while I am riding.

< - - - Norm Ruest - - - >

South Florida

2000 K1200 LTC Canyon Red
MOA# 145086

ďIts unexplained, because they havenít explained it. Maybe they could explain it, but they've tried and they can't, because it's unexplainable.Ē - Ruest
post #13 of 36 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 2:14 pm

The biggest requirement I had for a bag was that it make no permanent changes to my bike I like the RKA 11 when fully expanded it will hold a lot of stuff yet is small enough that it doesn't interfere with the handle bars and steering.

Single loop around the steering head and a single quick clip that loops around the driver seat support bar quick on and off operation and very easy to deal with while moving most of the time I don't fasten the the lower quick clip there is no need to.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #14 of 36 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 2:55 pm

I just purchased an RKA mini bag from a forum member and took my first trip with it this last weekend. The little guy is great! Wallet, sunglasses, ipod, registration, charger cords for ipod, blackberry, adapter cord bmw/12V accessory. It held everything I could think of to throw in there.

One of my requirements for a tank bag was free access to the oddments compartment. It is obvious to me now that I no longer need access to the oddments compartment. The bag holds it all. If you really need to get in there just one snap at at the back of the bag and you're in.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #15 of 36 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 5:17 pm

Had the RKA mini on my 02; have the NEW RKA mini on my 07. Unzipping the expansion on the newer one opens a cavity on top! Great improvement! Wife liked it so much she ordered one for her Spyder.

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #16 of 36 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 9:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
I just purchased an RKA mini bag from a forum member and took my first trip with it this last weekend. The little guy is great! Wallet, sunglasses, ipod, registration, charger cords for ipod, blackberry, adapter cord bmw/12V accessory. It held everything I could think of to throw in there.

One of my requirements for a tank bag was free access to the oddments compartment. It is obvious to me now that I no longer need access to the oddments compartment. The bag holds it all. If you really need to get in there just one snap at at the back of the bag and you're in.

Loren
Guess you got one of the bags that I wanted to buy, but had already been sold. Looks like it and the cortech are the most popular. Thanks to everyone that posted pics.
post #17 of 36 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 11:39 pm
Super Moderator

Here are a few picts of my RKA bag - like others have said you will not need your oddments box, the front loop on the bag wraps around the plastic up front and a simple snap allows you take the bag off and on the bike in about 2 seconds. The map holder is square - not all bags are square. And I believe carries a life time warranty!!

There is a downside I have with this bag - most bags have them. The reflection of the plastic map cover can be very annoying occasions - this is due to your height, angle of bag and of course the sun angle.

Since I use GPS exclusively I am thinking of making a mount on the bag to get the GPS closer for both viewing and operation. So I will be looking into electrifying the bag to some degree.

I am very happy with the bag.

So guess which ones are the RKA and which one belongs to an IBA rider. For the record I can only recommend the RKA . . .

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

Last edited by dfinazzo; Jul 29th, 2009 at 11:43 pm. Reason: grammer
post #18 of 36 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 12:11 am

I also have the Cortech mini, and it is just right. Small enough so lock to lock does not interfere, but large enough to carry all the goods. I use a small clipboard to hold a map, secured by small spring clips. Perfect, wish I still had 20 year old eyes to read the map.

Certainly larger bags out there but this one is very cool.

Bill
2000 K1200LT, Canyon Red
post #19 of 36 Old Sep 10th, 2009, 9:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kra961
I bought the RKA 11 bag for my 09 LT and love it I can fit all my gadgets as well as other items in it.
Kra,
Saw your post and went to the RKA site to check it out. They show a strap from the back of the bag to the seat post and also show the oddments box opening easily. How does this work? Is there a quick disconnect on the strap?
Thanks.
Jeff
post #20 of 36 Old Sep 10th, 2009, 10:41 am

There are two straps one that loops over the steering head and another used for your shoulder. At the bottom of the bag is a single quick clip though I've found clipping it really isn't all that necessary as the bag stays put without the clip. Just open the glovebox its a nice setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by space_coast_lt
Kra,
Saw your post and went to the RKA site to check it out. They show a strap from the back of the bag to the seat post and also show the oddments box opening easily. How does this work? Is there a quick disconnect on the strap?
Thanks.
Jeff

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #21 of 36 Old Sep 11th, 2009, 8:00 am

I recently bought the RKA 8.5 for our first trip. It seems to be very high quality and is very easy to mount. It never moved during the 3000 mile trip and didn't leave any marks on the bike. I would highly reccomend it.

2002 K1200LTC
post #22 of 36 Old Sep 11th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Another Vote for the CORTECH Super Mini.

Cut off the straps too shorties mounting it like the BMW factory bag to the oddments box lid on velcro underneath.

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #23 of 36 Old Sep 12th, 2009, 3:36 pm
SEG

I highly recommend the RKA 11 tank bag, it's well made and as noted in other postings, holds a lot when unzipped and in the expanded mode. I rarely have a need to open the fitment box now, except for storing or removing the Ipod.
Scott

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
post #24 of 36 Old Sep 14th, 2009, 12:38 am

Check this one out!! http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...MarseeTankBags
I bought it this year and love it. I bought it with the electric package and the corona mount.

2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
post #25 of 36 Old Jan 1st, 2010, 10:46 am
jsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayhlr
Check this one out!! http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...MarseeTankBags
I bought it this year and love it. I bought it with the electric package and the corona mount.
I'm kind of late on this thread, but +1 on the Marsee corona mount. I found a used oddments box lid from Cycles Recycled and drilled the holes for the mount in that one. That way, I can swap out easily if I won't be using it for a while, or if I sell the bike (unlikely). I plan to put another plug somewhere in the vicinity of the trip computer to supply the power to the bag, so that there will be a little less cable flapping around.
post #26 of 36 Old Jan 1st, 2010, 10:59 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb
I'm kind of late on this thread, but +1 on the Marsee corona mount. I found a used oddments box lid from Cycles Recycled and drilled the holes for the mount in that one. That way, I can swap out easily if I won't be using it for a while, or if I sell the bike (unlikely). I plan to put another plug somewhere in the vicinity of the trip computer to supply the power to the bag, so that there will be a little less cable flapping around.
The only problem I have found is that the mount holes leak in the rain and get my log book wet. I am in the process of deciding if I want to remove the mount and place an o-ring under it at each bolt location or put a dob of silicone caulk on each bolt. What have others done to stop the leaks? It would be nice if RPW would include properly sized o-rings/gaskets so that the oddments box would remain waterproof.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #27 of 36 Old Jan 1st, 2010, 11:29 am

I had the Cortech mini on for some time and I really did like it. Only dislike I had was limited access to the compartment on the bike. Picked up a Chicane at CCR and haven't taken it off since. Great size, quality product and I can access the bike compartment without removing the bag or disconnecting any straps. I recommend Chicane if you can locate them.

Ray

2007 K1200LT Hannigan- Blue
2012 R1200GS - Rallye
1973 R75/5 Toaster - Black
post #28 of 36 Old Jan 1st, 2010, 6:14 pm
jsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
The only problem I have found is that the mount holes leak in the rain and get my log book wet. I am in the process of deciding if I want to remove the mount and place an o-ring under it at each bolt location or put a dob of silicone caulk on each bolt. What have others done to stop the leaks? It would be nice if RPW would include properly sized o-rings/gaskets so that the oddments box would remain waterproof.
I drilled the holes tight and caulked the holes as I bolted it up, then caulked a thin bead all around the feet of the mount. I haven't been able to get it to leak yet. You can't put o-rings on the inside, since the lid is 2-layered and you can't get to the one that matters.
post #29 of 36 Old Jan 1st, 2010, 6:23 pm

Pm'd ya.

I have a Chicane if you want it.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #30 of 36 Old Jan 1st, 2010, 8:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb
I drilled the holes tight and caulked the holes as I bolted it up, then caulked a thin bead all around the feet of the mount. I haven't been able to get it to leak yet. You can't put o-rings on the inside, since the lid is 2-layered and you can't get to the one that matters.
Yes, I was thinking of o-rings on the outside. That would also help keep the mount from scuffing the paint, although I doubt it moves around enough to do that.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #31 of 36 Old Jan 1st, 2010, 9:11 pm
jsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Yes, I was thinking of o-rings on the outside. That would also help keep the mount from scuffing the paint, although I doubt it moves around enough to do that.
Even if you have a little scuffing, it won't be noticeable until you remove the mount, and then you'll have 4 holes staring you in the face that will distract you from the scuffing.
post #32 of 36 Old Jan 1st, 2010, 11:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb
Even if you have a little scuffing, it won't be noticeable until you remove the mount, and then you'll have 4 holes staring you in the face that will distract you from the scuffing.
That is what large decals are for!! :-)

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #33 of 36 Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 12:39 pm

I'll vote for the RKA bag. I've had mine for almost ten years now, and it's in great condition despite huge use. The rain cover still keeps out the wet, too.

Tom

Maidstone,
England

Deepest Black 2008 K1200LT Lux
post #34 of 36 Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 9:07 pm

Smile Re: looking for a tank bag

The RKA bag is the way to go. I have the 11 and it works great with my 09. I'll put it on and get some pics for you tomorrow.
post #35 of 36 Old Feb 10th, 2011, 9:55 am

i have a Chicane, with bladder, virtually new. Bladder never used, only been on a few rides, never in the rain. I bought it from a friend selling his bike.

$100 shipped to lower 48 states.

dave 262-893-6006

This has been sold! thanks

Last edited by davebullock; Feb 10th, 2011 at 1:42 pm.
post #36 of 36 Old May 23rd, 2011, 9:58 am

This is what I have

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Tank-Bags...unt/97273.html

It was under $40 when I got mine.

I sewed some webbing to loop under the stingray and then bolted some webbing under the seat to the existing bolts that hold the seat in place with a clip on the exposed end.

Then I just loop the top over the stingray and clip the bottom to the webbing from the seat and all is good.

Ps I also removed the magnets because they were useless and moved around too much for my taste.

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in