BMW System 5/6 helmet leaking - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 10th, 2009, 8:57 am Thread Starter

BMW System 5/6 helmet leaking

I recently got a System 5 helmet. Excellent fit, nice sounddamping, good quality stuff, I would like to think. And than came the first rain. The thing was leaking from the top of the visor, straight onto my nose...

I went back several times. New rubbers, new visor, chin piece adjusments, the works. All to no avail... They offered me a new helmet, this time System 6, since the 5 has become obsolete.

Now the 6 helmet is leaking from two sides: the top of the visor again, and this time also through the airvent on top. That water will drop on your head every once in a while.

I think its rediculous, for a 500 euro helmet to leak like that. Bloody annoying as well. My previous helmet, the Nolan N101, was watertight even when I drove through what seemed Niagara Falls....

I drive a K1200LT, so could it be an aerodynamic issue? The dealer says the police in the area drive with the same gear, but they don't ride LT's obviously (RT's for that matter). Also, it does not really matter if I put the window up or down...

Has anyone ever had the same experience??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 10th, 2009, 9:14 am

Re: BMW System 5/6 helmet leaking

It never rains in Germany, water is not a design criteria... Now if it was leaking ...
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 10th, 2009, 5:04 pm

Yep I agree with you ... I have three System 5's and they all leak from the top of the visor. It is really annoying because once you have water streaks on the inside of the helmet it is a bugger to clean it while riding.

I was considering the System 6 but now you say that one leaks too ... maybe I need to look elsewhere.

A bad day on the bike beats a good day in the office.

post #4 of 5 Old Sep 4th, 2009, 5:17 am
PCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colyn
Yep I agree with you ... I have three System 5's and they all leak from the top of the visor. It is really annoying because once you have water streaks on the inside of the helmet it is a bugger to clean it while riding.

I was considering the System 6 but now you say that one leaks too ... maybe I need to look elsewhere.
Hi

have you closed the vent above the visor. Mine leaks if the vent is open, but doesn't leak at all if the vent is closed. System 5 helmet.
regards
PCH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PCH
R 1200GS 2015
R 1200 RTSE 2013 90th Anniversary
R 1200 RTSE 2008 gone at 100k km
R 1100 RT 1999 Gone at 60,000 kms
Various other Japanese bikes over many years.

"Be kind to everyone, it is easier and a whole lot less trouble"
post #5 of 5 Old Sep 4th, 2009, 7:48 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH
Hi

have you closed the vent above the visor. Mine leaks if the vent is open, but doesn't leak at all if the vent is closed. System 5 helmet.
regards
PCH
Yes I have. Besides, the System 5 vent is a little bit different than a System 6. System 5 vents sit just above the visor, whereas the System 6 vents are actually on top of the helmet. See example:

My dealer has confirmed the first generation System6 helmets have a design flaw which may cause this. He has ordered me a new one, hoping it will be solved.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in