Shoei Multitec Pinlock Anti-Fog Lens Insert - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 4th, 2009, 6:44 pm Thread Starter

Shoei Multitec Pinlock Anti-Fog Lens Insert

I've been using one of these inserts since the middle of last season, and it's worked wonderfully. Unfortunately something I foolishly stored inside the helmet scratched the insert, so..

I'm looking to replace the insert.. and that should be easy enough.. about 30 bucks.. except for a mystery that's popped up. I was looking carefully at my completely clear anti-fog insert, and I noticed that it says "DAYTIME-use only" in a little corner of it. Why??

I'll admit to not riding at night unless I can't avoid it, because I know some guys in wheelchairs who had encounters with deer. Not riding at night, if there are problems with this type of insert at night I don't yet know about them. Has anyone used a clear insert at night?

Do the manufacturers think that helmets don't fog up at night? (Maybe they don't. Like I said, I don't ride at night. )

Thanks for any thoughts and advice. Perhaps there's something better to get since I need a new insert anyway? I've heard about the chromatic ones that darken in the sun, but the reviews suggest the technology isn't quite there yet. And why can't they make the entire shield do that? Well, anyway, there's my dilemma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 4th, 2009, 7:24 pm

Re: Shoei Multitec Pinlock Anti-Fog Lens Insert

I'm sure it is a safety reason for the Daytime Use Only. My wife has had Lasik eye surgery and she says the street lights and oncoming headlights have a blurs around them and it makes it hard for her to drive. I suspect that happens through the anti-fog insert. But I'm only guessing.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #3 of 9 Old Jul 4th, 2009, 7:43 pm
Gold Supporter

Or is it the mirror effect when light hits the second visor and reflects back onto the first giving you multiple image?

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #4 of 9 Old Jul 4th, 2009, 8:23 pm Thread Starter

Well, I suppose I can remove the insert if I get caught out at night. And hope I don't fog up. I'm kind of surprised that I can't find anything about not using it at night except printed in the plastic itself.. and I had to really look to realize anything was printed there at all. I see no mention of it on the web site, etc. Odd, in this world of CYA.

Thanks!
post #5 of 9 Old Jul 5th, 2009, 6:10 pm

That is strange indeed. I'm using the Pinlock setup in my Shoei Multitec too (and love it, love it, love it.). Not a bit of fog EVER.

I've used the clear insert at night and I've never had an issue,
I use my dark smoke tinted insert on sunny days. Hmmm....wonder why it would say "Day time use only"

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #6 of 9 Old Jul 5th, 2009, 6:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman
That is strange indeed. I'm using the Pinlock setup in my Shoei Multitec too (and love it, love it, love it.). Not a bit of fog EVER.

I've used the clear insert at night and I've never had an issue,
I use my dark smoke tinted insert on sunny days. Hmmm....wonder why it would say "Day time use only"
Do you see the same "DAYTIME-use only" written on your clear one? I suppose it's possible that they make some clear ones good for night use and some which are like mine. Maybe.
post #7 of 9 Old Jul 6th, 2009, 12:46 pm

I went a did a little digging and found this in Pinlock's FAQ.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #8 of 9 Old Jul 6th, 2009, 4:23 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I have had the exact same pinlock lens for almost a year now on my Multitec. I'm just guessing on my night time miles but its somewhere near 15000 in the last year. It works fine at night for me. It has fogged up on me now & then just a lot less than with the stock lens.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #9 of 9 Old Jul 6th, 2009, 4:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
I went a did a little digging and found this in Pinlock's FAQ.
Interesting.. thanks!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in