Cooling Vest - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jun 27th, 2009, 10:33 pm Thread Starter

Cooling Vest

Just got done with a 5 day ride in west Texas and had a chance to use my evaporative cooling vest. Temps were in the mid 80's in the mountains and well over 100 in the low country. I bought this vest at the BMW shop before the trip for about $40. Don't remember the brand but it's gray on the outside and blue on the inside.

Here's my observation:

These vests work great in a hot, arid environment such as west Texas in the summer. In fact, when I first soaked it down and put it on, I got a little chill. It was very cool.

When the temps were in the mid 90's, the vest kept me cool for about 3+ hrs. When it hit 100, only good for about an hour and a half before I had to soak it down again. The water was just evaporating that fast, but I was comfy for that time.

If you live in a humid location, forget it. You'll just be wet and hot. The water must evaporate to produce a cooling effect. Also, when the vest dried to the point that it lost it's evaporative cooling effect, it became insulation and things quickly became too warm. Had to take it off to get some air flow through my mesh jacket.

We are planning a trip to CO in July and I'll be wearing the vest to help me get through the Texas summer heat while en route.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jun 28th, 2009, 9:07 am

Re: Cooling Vest

Hi, Ron - glad you 'survived' West Tejas with the cooling vest. Thangs should be mandatory here in the South!! And you're correct about high humidity reducing the effectiveness. I think the only solution to high temps and high humidity is a DQ!!

BTW - I used my cooling vest several times while mowing the lawn, and while it partially worked, it seemed to get the full effect, I needed to be moving faster than ole Craftsman could mow! This year, I'm keeping the cool vest for short jaunts around Boerne when conditions warrant (like NOW!!), and gonna invest in either a Veskimo product, or the Cool Shirt product. And hire me a lawn service!!!!

Thanks for sharing your experience using the cooling vest, Ron. Stay cool!!!
post #3 of 12 Old Jun 28th, 2009, 8:45 pm

I have an evaporative cooling vest I'll sell you. I just completed a round trip Las Vegas to Santa Barbara and back to Vegas with temps up to 120 F. I was using the Veskimo with the 9 quart coooler. I had to stop and turn it off because I got chilled. (Not really, but it did a great job.). I'm sure some one can explain it but even my head stayed pretty cool with 45 degree water circulating around my chest and back. I won't be using the evaporative cooling vest again.

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)

post #4 of 12 Old Jun 28th, 2009, 10:17 pm

Dick,

Have the Veskimo and decided long ago that my time was too valuable to be spent doing lawn work. Hire someone to do it for you.

Here's a link to some discussions on evaporative vests, phase change vests, and ice/water forced flow cooling systems.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45297

BLUF for me:
It's taken heat out of the decision cycle on whether I take the motorcycle.
Not an issue any longer.
102 degrees (real feel 105) is the highest temp that I've used my Veskimo in.
Heat wasn't an issue and felt very comfortable on that ride.
Wearing Rev-It Air Force jacket and pants and a Shoei Multi-Synch helmet.
post #5 of 12 Old Jun 29th, 2009, 8:47 am

Gary - thanks a bunch for the info. I'm with you on the lawn stimulus package!!

I've had an opportunity to try on the Cool Shirt and was definitely impressed. The present user/owner won't ride without it when temps spike above 85 or so, primarily due to a past experience with near heatstroke. At my age, I wanna avoid that situation and the Cool Vest is surely in my shopping plans.

From a non-owner, I 'think' I would prefer a vest type unit as opposed to the pull-over t-shirt affair (gotta watch the coif, ya know!! ). That said, I asked my good friend if he thought it possible to hook up a Veskimo vest to the Cool Shirt apparatus - mainly because the Cool Shirt seems to have a larger capacity for ice storage. Concensus is still out on that possiblity, but I'm continuing to check.

Thanks for link to the discussion group. Time for me to go to class and learn what I can learn about each system (Cool Shirt vs Veskimo). BTW - I've used all the other devices (phase change, water soaked evaporative, and expanding capsules) and while not totally disenchanted, they each do have some downsides. Downsides that I don't see occurring with the capillary types.

Thanks again for the feedback, Gary. I appreciate it. Stay cool!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT_Pilot
Dick,

Have the Veskimo and decided long ago that my time was too valuable to be spent doing lawn work. Hire someone to do it for you.

Here's a link to some discussions on evaporative vests, phase change vests, and ice/water forced flow cooling systems.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45297

BLUF for me:
It's taken heat out of the decision cycle on whether I take the motorcycle.
Not an issue any longer.
102 degrees (real feel 105) is the highest temp that I've used my Veskimo in.
Heat wasn't an issue and felt very comfortable on that ride.
Wearing Rev-It Air Force jacket and pants and a Shoei Multi-Synch helmet.
post #6 of 12 Old Jun 29th, 2009, 2:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Gary - thanks a bunch for the info. I'm with you on the lawn stimulus package!!

I've had an opportunity to try on the Cool Shirt and was definitely impressed. The present user/owner won't ride without it when temps spike above 85 or so, primarily due to a past experience with near heatstroke. At my age, I wanna avoid that situation and the Cool Vest is surely in my shopping plans.

From a non-owner, I 'think' I would prefer a vest type unit as opposed to the pull-over t-shirt affair (gotta watch the coif, ya know!! ). That said, I asked my good friend if he thought it possible to hook up a Veskimo vest to the Cool Shirt apparatus - mainly because the Cool Shirt seems to have a larger capacity for ice storage. Concensus is still out on that possiblity, but I'm continuing to check.

Thanks for link to the discussion group. Time for me to go to class and learn what I can learn about each system (Cool Shirt vs Veskimo). BTW - I've used all the other devices (phase change, water soaked evaporative, and expanding capsules) and while not totally disenchanted, they each do have some downsides. Downsides that I don't see occurring with the capillary types.

Thanks again for the feedback, Gary. I appreciate it. Stay cool!!!

Dick,
I just looked at both web sites on the two mentioned products. the Veskimo reminds me of a unit that my wife just had for treatment of shoulder surgery. the unit came with a 12 pack size ice chest that had a pump built into the lid. The hoses went to a pad that was velcro'ed around her shoulder. That thing will get mighty cold. You filed the chest to the top with ice then added water. Looking at the two units they both look like they would work well here in the Phx area but th Veskimo seems to be more in the price range for me. One could also customize it better for your needs, weather on the motorcycle or some other use, they have more choices to build for your needs. I can see where you would get very cold using ice water. Veskimo seems to have my vote.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
post #7 of 12 Old Jun 29th, 2009, 6:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by robasay
Dick,
Veskimo seems to have my vote.
I do not think you will be disappointed in the Veskimo. I'm considering drilling a hole in the bottom of my 49 liter top case to place the 9 quart cooler in the case and route the inlet/outlet hose and electrical connection through the bottom of the case. Has anyone ever tried to drill the bottom of a top case?

post #8 of 12 Old Jun 29th, 2009, 7:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moot
I do not think you will be disappointed in the Veskimo. I'm considering drilling a hole in the bottom of my 49 liter top case to place the 9 quart cooler in the case and route the inlet/outlet hose and electrical connection through the bottom of the case. Has anyone ever tried to drill the bottom of a top case?
That's what Woody did to his LT topcase. He's off in the northeast on vacation this week, but might check in with you and describe what he did. His handle is < gisman > here on the forums.

And Rob Asay - thanks for your thoughts. Maybe we oughta go after a group buy?!!
post #9 of 12 Old Jun 29th, 2009, 11:52 pm

Quote:
That's what Woody did to his LT topcase. He's off in the northeast on vacation this week, but might check in with you and describe what he did. His handle is < gisman > here on the forums.

And Rob Asay - thanks for your thoughts. Maybe we oughta go after a group buy?!!

Hey count me in for a group buy it was only 111 here on Sunday.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
post #10 of 12 Old Jun 30th, 2009, 7:04 am

Quote:
... Maybe we oughta go after a group buy?!!
That is a good idea! I'm in for a 2nd one (one for the spouse) even though I just purchased one last week and have not even tried it out.

Jon

2011 R1200RT - not named yet

2005 K1200LT Blue - "Sapphire" - gone
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 ST1100 Red - "Red Rider"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW MOA #139052
post #11 of 12 Old Jun 30th, 2009, 1:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Cool Re: Cooling Vest

Personally I like my SilverEagle evap vest. I've used it 4 or 5 years and it does work even in this NC coastal humidity. If it didn't work I would not need to rewater it. It also does not take up any of the room we need for travel items.
It does drip sometimes but what isn't dripping when it is hot as hell.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #12 of 12 Old Jul 6th, 2009, 6:08 pm

Successfully drilled a 2" hole in the bottom of the top case to route the water hose and electrical connection for the Veskimo. It works great with the 9 quart cooler concealed int he top case thereby avoiding an unauthorized object strapped aboard. I found a 2" black plastic pipe cap that plugs the hole perfectly when not in use.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in