Helmet help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 29th, 2009, 2:01 pm Thread Starter

Helmet help

I have a head that is more oval than round. I am wearing a Scorpion EXO 700 in XL right now because it felt better for the 30 minutes I had it on wandering around the helmet dealers shop. I wore a bunch of helmets, each for at least 20 minutes including the high dollar big names and the lesser knowns. The sales guy was very helpful. Well, after using the Scorpion for 8 months I have found that after 1.5 hours I get a hot spot on the top of my head just above my forehead. I will stop and take it off for a few minutes and then I am good for another hour.

The problem is the other helmets I tried in the store gave me the same felling after 10 minutes.

Anybody have any suggestions as to what model and brand might work for an oval head? I have searched here and all over the dreaded interweb. Webbikes had a good article on head shape and helmet shape. I can live with what I have but would like something I can ride for more than 1.5 hours before I am hurting. 20 minutes in a shop doesn't tell me enough.

The best helmet I have ever worn for comfort was a BMW series 2 years ago. I prefer a full face but would consider a modular helmet if it fit.

My aching pointy head would appreciate any help out there.

Sean

2007 R1200R

2000 K1200LT

1978 R100S (long gone, but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 29th, 2009, 2:48 pm

Re: Helmet help

Sean,

I have the same problem as you having the hotspot on my for head just above the eyebrows. Almost all the helmets I've tried to wear have given me hotspots, fortunately for me with in 30 minutes so I've not wasted any money. The only two comfortable helmets I've had are a Shoei X-11, that saved my noggin in a get off in 2007 and the Shoei MultiTech that I wear now. I've tried to find a lower cost helmet that fits my head, but to no avail. So I'll go with what works for me.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #3 of 8 Old May 29th, 2009, 3:10 pm

Not sure about other brands but, Arai has different sizes/thickness' of headliners(this directly affects the forehead) and cheek pads available for their helmets as well as different shaped helmets. Round and long oval. I had to try some different combos in my newest helmet(RX-7) to get it right, my forehead felt like it was on fire after about an hour....after my adjustments its' pretty much an all-day helmet now!

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)

post #4 of 8 Old May 29th, 2009, 3:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I wear an Arai for the same reason my wife wears a Shoei. They fit our head. Arai has 3 different shapes and Shoei has 2. Even though they are similar, each manufacturer's mold is different. I wore helmets for an hour+ to get a feel. When I took them off, I inspected my skull to look for red lines (wife helped). Steve's head would be easier to inspect . I looked at multiple helmets over the years and always go back to Arai and the Quantum or RX-7 series. Good luck on your search, but don't despair, diligence pays off.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #5 of 8 Old May 29th, 2009, 4:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBob
I wear an Arai for the same reason my wife wears a Shoei. They fit our head. Arai has 3 different shapes and Shoei has 2. Even though they are similar, each manufacturer's mold is different. I wore helmets for an hour+ to get a feel. When I took them off, I inspected my skull to look for red lines (wife helped). Steve's head would be easier to inspect . I looked at multiple helmets over the years and always go back to Arai and the Quantum or RX-7 series. Good luck on your search, but don't despair, diligence pays off.
Ain't that the truth.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #6 of 8 Old May 29th, 2009, 7:57 pm Thread Starter

I have tried the Shoei TZ-R and RF-1000, the Arai Corsair-V and Profile helmets with no joy. I need to go try the others in the Shoi and Arai lines as well as others. My head is worth it so the price isn't the defining factor. I am tired of having a burning spot on my scunion. I will keep trying. Thanks for the suggestions.

2007 R1200R

2000 K1200LT

1978 R100S (long gone, but not forgotten)
post #7 of 8 Old May 29th, 2009, 8:09 pm

Both of the Shoei helmets you mention did the same thing to me.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #8 of 8 Old May 29th, 2009, 8:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipokebadgers
I have tried the Shoei TZ-R and RF-1000, the Arai Corsair-V and Profile helmets with no joy. I need to go try the others in the Shoi and Arai lines as well as others. My head is worth it so the price isn't the defining factor. I am tired of having a burning spot on my scunion. I will keep trying. Thanks for the suggestions.
I had a Scorpion EXO-700 and it did the same thing to me. I liked the fact that it did not fog, no matter what. I bought an Arai Astral-X at Cycle Gear. I put it on, it felt good, so I wore it around the store for an hour. The salespeople kept telling me I could return it for 7 days. I didn't want to have to go through the hassle of shopping for another helmet. The Shoei X-11 fit well, but was awfully expensive. The other Arai's, Shoei TZ-Rs and RF-1000s in the store fit like the Scorpion. Too round for my head. The Astral-X has been discontinued, but the Quantum-2 looks to be the same. I haven't tried one on. I won't have to look for another couple years, I hope.

Seems like I read the ZR-1 helmets were top rated, but not top priced. I tried one of those, but wasn't happy with the internal shape.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in