BMW System 5 helmets - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Apr 14th, 2009, 8:14 pm Thread Starter

BMW System 5 helmets

I'm new to BMW, I just purchased my 2004 LT last week after riding a 1500 wing for the last 7 years. I love it. My question is That my LT came with 2 System 5 helmets, (One of them has the liner missing and both have the blue tooth power source missing) which I understand have never been imported to the US. I contacted Bobs Bmw and they recommended I talk to a BMW shop in Canada for replacedment liners and power sources for the Bluetooth. I did and they couldn't help. Anyone have a source or suggestion?
Thanks, Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Apr 14th, 2009, 11:04 pm

Re: BMW System 5 helmets

Yeah.. I don't think Sys5 helmets are available in the US...so I can only imagine your only option is Canada.

Now, some of our family here is from Europe... and maybe they can get the parts.

Good luck and welcome aboard!
post #3 of 8 Old Apr 15th, 2009, 2:35 am

Ron

I would be happy to help you out with obtaining new liners. If you could send memore details about what is missing and maybe a couple of photots I will check with my local dealer. I have a PDF of the destruction manual for the WCS system and it states that the batteries are 3 x AA NiMh rechargeable batteries each 2000 mAh - the sort you would find in digital cameras.

Regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased

post #4 of 8 Old Apr 15th, 2009, 3:42 am

I fitted the aftermarket kit that bmw made for these helmets as the factory fitted option was prone to getting water into the circuit board.The batteries are 3 aa type batteries,I would try the helmet with 3 fresh batteries.
There were several earlier helmets that had to be returned and im not sure if this is why bmw took them off the shelves and withdrew from sale.If you have got 2 good helmets they work fine and i found them very easy to use and didnt have any pairing issues.
post #5 of 8 Old Apr 15th, 2009, 7:44 pm Thread Starter

Graham, I would really appreciate the help. I'm pretty new at this forum thing, can I give you my email and have you reply so I can then email you some pictures?
post #6 of 8 Old Apr 18th, 2009, 1:18 pm

I wonder if those helmets were purchased with the bike all those years ago? My understanding is that helmets should just be discarded and replaced after a few years. At least I've frequently been told this. Since you're having helmet problems in any event, this might be a good time to get some new ones. Fringe benefit.. they will fit your heads and not those of the original riders. <g>
post #7 of 8 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 8:32 pm Thread Starter

You are absolutly right about just getting new helmets, however I thought this might be an easy way to see if I like full coverage helmets. I have only used open face before. (Shoie)
Thanks for the reminder
post #8 of 8 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 10:36 pm

the original system 5 bluetooth system was withdrawn along with schubrth's bluesonic set up because it was a dog. there are updated models available for retrofit on the 5 but very expensive. As for helmet parts, I suspect that these may be size related. BMW use a certain number of shell sizes. the padding and the horseshoe neck pad are mixable. eg you can use a set of medium pad and a large neck horseshoe to tailor fitments a little but only within the same shell size.

bluetooth look here

http://www.balderston.net/Bluetooth.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in