Need Warm (Hot) Weather Gear Advice - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 7:32 pm Thread Starter

Need Warm (Hot) Weather Gear Advice

When I picked up the condo here last fall, my plan was to spend the winter in Las Vegas then return to Colorado before the warm (hot) weather hit. I'm enjoying myself so much I may spend a bit more time here this summer than I planned. Despite the anticipated heat, I find it difficult to contemplate riding without ATGATT. What recommendations can I get for jackets, pants and helmets that are known to be the coolest on the market while providing acceptable protection. Money is less a concern than comfort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 8:44 pm

Re: Need Warm (Hot) Weather Gear Advice

I'm down here in southern Louisiana and it gets very hot and humid for a good bit of the year. I've been wearing a Joe Rocket Mesh Jacket for about 4 years now and it keeps me pretty comfortable (at least as much as you can be when not in an air conditioned environment). I wear a Schubert helm and a pair of BMW cruiser leather gloves. The gloves are pretty good as they aren't padded and the Schubert is the best I've ever had. Still could use some more vents though. I also use one of those cool wrap dew rags under the helmet. I can soak its crystal tail in cool water and it helps keep my head cool under the helmet. For any trips I go with a water bladder stuck back there with the back protector and the straw brought around so I can sip it. I found one at Walmart for about 10 bucks a couple of years ago. Hope that helps.
post #3 of 42 Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 11:46 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moot
When I picked up the condo here last fall, my plan was to spend the winter in Las Vegas then return to Colorado before the warm (hot) weather hit. I'm enjoying myself so much I may spend a bit more time here this summer than I planned. Despite the anticipated heat, I find it difficult to contemplate riding without ATGATT. What recommendations can I get for jackets, pants and helmets that are known to be the coolest on the market while providing acceptable protection. Money is less a concern than comfort.
I have a Vanson mesh jacket. It's a the most open mesh I've seen yet so it's very cool, Like all Vanson products it is very high quality.

http://www.vansonleathers.com/produc...ackets/vx3.htm

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 42 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 7:29 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Plus 1 for the Vanson Max Vent and I add OLYMPIA Mesh pants
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
I have a Vanson mesh jacket. It's a the most open mesh I've seen yet so it's very cool, Like all Vanson products it is very high quality.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 42 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 8:18 am

Get a "Cool Shirt" you can wear all the armour you want and still by nice and cool. The NASCAR drivers inside a cage with firesuits are confortable. I got mine after a bout with heat stroke. I won't go out without it above 85 degrees.
post #6 of 42 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 12:05 pm

Do you have a particular dealer you like for the Cools Shirt products? I seem to remember a Cool Shirt helmet liner, but can't find it on their "website".

I have a phase change vest, which I like, but it hast to be periodically re-charged, and it is rather bulky.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #7 of 42 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 12:57 pm

Don't know about dealers. Go to http://www.coolshirt.net check out the softbag model. Get the largest unit you can fit into your top case. I prefer the softbag. I run both pilot and co-pilot off one unit.
post #8 of 42 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 2:32 pm

I think there are a lot of good mesh jackets out there such as mentioned above; but what really helps us without all the tubing of the "cool shirt", is to wear good fitting underamour. I wear their summer t-shirts and jockeys under my mesh pants and at even 100 degrees with 90% humidity here in Nebraska it's bearable except at a full stop. I've even gotten chilled at 90 degrees when riding. With the humidity lower in your area, it should really work well.
post #9 of 42 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 3:15 pm

There's not much difference in air flow between the different brands of mesh gear. They are arguably about the same insofar as protection too. There is some variation in the type of armor they carry. If you care about that, CE rated stuff is generally preferable over generic foams. If you can find stuff in colors other than black (e.g. grey or silver), there is some additional relief (hard to quantify) from the sun's baking effects.

Wearing a wicking baselayer (coolmax, underarmour, etc) will help keep you from feeling clammy and damp but on long rides, be sure to stay hydrated. A hydration pack lets you drink on the go.

Get a smaller windshield.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #10 of 42 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 6:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey33
There's not much difference in air flow between the different brands of mesh gear. They are arguably about the same insofar as protection too. There is some variation in the type of armor they carry. If you care about that, CE rated stuff is generally preferable over generic foams. If you can find stuff in colors other than black (e.g. grey or silver), there is some additional relief (hard to quantify) from the sun's baking effects.

Wearing a wicking baselayer (coolmax, underarmour, etc) will help keep you from feeling clammy and damp but on long rides, be sure to stay hydrated. A hydration pack lets you drink on the go.

Get a smaller windshield.
I disagree. When I switched from First Gear mesh to Motoport Air Mesh II, I noticed a significant difference in air flow. I also don't believe that my First Gear jacket had the same protection as the Air Mesh. The Motoport product is made from Kevlar & 1000 Denier Cordura. You get what you pay for. Well, most of the time, that is

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #11 of 42 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 9:24 pm

Still have my Joe Rocket mesh and BMW Airflow jackets,
but have been using my Rev-It Air Force mesh jacket for the past year, all year.
Sent a new low temp ride (12 degrees) with the Rev-It w/Gore-Tex liner and Gerbing jacket.
My Aerostich Darien hasn't been out in a long time.

Used a Cool Sport phase change vest for the past four years,
but picked up the new Veskimo cooling vest: http://www.veskimo.com/

Used it all summer in NC, SC, GA, VA and TN in temps up to 102 degrees.
Much better than the phase change or pouring water down your shirt.
Uses regular water and ice.

Can't wait for hot weather.....
post #12 of 42 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 9:41 pm

Right now is the right time of year to pick up some cool savings on last year's BMW gear. BMW Vendors are actually forced to make room for 2009 gear. In 80+ weather I wear a BMW Venting Machine suit, Air Flow boots and an OSBE Summer Helmet.

The Osbe Summer helmet has been replaced by newer models. See link below.

The past two weeks, I purchased a new Reflect Jacket for $325US, new Reflect Pants for $99CDN, Streetguard 2 pants for $449. That represented over 55% savings. The new Airflow 4 stuff is now available. It is actually available in a color other than black. This means that last year's Airflow 3 is discounted. Finding the right size at this time may be a challenge.

http://www.osbe.it/catalogo/moto.php...lia=AIR%20CITY

Last edited by al2it; Mar 24th, 2009 at 9:48 pm. Reason: Want to add a picture
post #13 of 42 Old Mar 25th, 2009, 8:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnata
I disagree. When I switched from First Gear mesh to Motoport Air Mesh II, I noticed a significant difference in air flow.
Touche!
The Motoport Air Mesh doesn't really compare to the other mesh-tex products on the market. It is of Kevlar construction vs nylon and/or polyester of all the others. It is 2x-3x the price of the others too. But if you don't mind opening the wallet for expensive BMW gear anyways, then it's right on par. Even better is Motoport is custom fitted to you.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #14 of 42 Old Mar 25th, 2009, 8:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT_Pilot
Used a Cool Sport phase change vest for the past four years,
but picked up the new Veskimo cooling vest: http://www.veskimo.com/

Used it all summer in NC, SC, GA, VA and TN in temps up to 102 degrees.
Much better than the phase change or pouring water down your shirt.
Uses regular water and ice.

Can't wait for hot weather.....
Thanks for the advice on the Veskimo. Think I've seen this before, but wasn't sure if it was better than phase change or not. Does the vest stay cool for a while if you get off of the bike and un-plug the pump?

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #15 of 42 Old Mar 25th, 2009, 7:59 pm

Used the PCM vest to/from the MOA rally in Lima, OH.
I tow a Bushtec trailer, so kept another set of PCM recharging in the cooler.
Worked great, recharging the PCM only takes 15 minutes in ice water.
Kept me cool, but bulky and lasted about 90 minutes.

The Veskimo uses ice and water.
Mostly ice with a little bit of water.
Lasts for about 2-3 hours per charge.
Disconnect the hose, take off the icepack,
drain most of the water, fill rest with ice
and you're recharged for another long run.
I wear a light nylon shirt under the Veskimo vest.
Much better than the evaporative vest.
The batteries last all day; recharge at night.
Can also run on AA's, if necessary.
That pressurized water pump system really works.
If I'm not towing my Bushtec, I keep a small cooler with ice
in the top or side case, plus some bottles of water for drinking
post #16 of 42 Old Apr 7th, 2009, 7:47 pm

LT Pilot - read with interest your views on Veskimo. Would like some more details such as :
1. How complicated to put on?
2. Any restrictions on movement while riding?
3. Does back pack flop around and shift?
4. Does you have any photos with the device mounted? The website does not, but it looks like one could be wearing a big catheter with all those hoses
5. I presume it is easily detachable for refill at gas stops?

I live in Los Angeles, and am religeous about wearing full leather riding gear for protection, especially on the LA freeways. The heat is a problem, and this looks like a great product

Any and all advise etc. will be welcome

Many thanks
post #17 of 42 Old Apr 7th, 2009, 8:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness1
LT Pilot - read with interest your views on Veskimo. Would like some more details such as :
1. How complicated to put on?
2. Any restrictions on movement while riding?
3. Does back pack flop around and shift?
4. Does you have any photos with the device mounted? The website does not, but it looks like one could be wearing a big catheter with all those hoses
5. I presume it is easily detachable for refill at gas stops?

I live in Los Angeles, and am religeous about wearing full leather riding gear for protection, especially on the LA freeways. The heat is a problem, and this looks like a great product

Any and all advise etc. will be welcome

Many thanks
1. Same as wearing a Camelback or backpack.
2. No restrictions. Can wear even with my BackUp backrest. Just loosen the straps and lift up and over the backrest.
3. No, just cinch straps so snug, not tight. Doesn't move around.
4. Sorry, not photos at this time.
5. Turn off pump, detach hoses with two quick releases at the waist. Otherwise, same as taking off a backpack. Drain most of the water, fill with ice. Put back on, connect the two hoses, turn on pump. That's it.

Used it all summer. Always in full kit and full-face helmet.
Most comfortable I've ever been in the heat.
For me, it's been well worth the investment.
post #18 of 42 Old Apr 7th, 2009, 9:36 pm

Byrum,

Take a look at firstgear they may have what you need various colors available. The mesh jacket is available in multi colors. I purchased the yellow for higher visablity and has lining.

Good luck shopping...
post #19 of 42 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 10:28 am

LT, many thanks. I also sent you an email message before I read the above message. Apologies for the duplication. I wil call VESKIMO for mor info. I will be riding in Arizona in May and this looks ideal

Many thanks M
post #20 of 42 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 10:35 am

Living in Florida, and not wanting to give up riding in the heat and humid, (even thought I hate it) I have found that NOTHING keeps me cool when stuck in traffic or if I am fatigued. On the highway, ventilated protection seems best. What keeps me going is hydration of anything cold. Sipping cool water every 15-30 minutes makes the hot ride bearable. If I am not continuously sipping a cool drink I get dehydrated and very fatigued.

I generally ride with ATGATT and simply look forward to a cool shower and change of cloths after all rides.

By the way, I really do look forward to a summer shower if it is not too hard. Really feels good on a long hot ride.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #21 of 42 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 11:05 am

In dry (not humid) climates, the Silver Eagle cooling vest under a mesh jacket works great. Soak in water for a few minutes, wring it out, and you're good to go for an hour or so.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #22 of 42 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 11:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness1
LT, many thanks. I also sent you an email message before I read the above message. Apologies for the duplication. I wil call VESKIMO for mor info. I will be riding in Arizona in May and this looks ideal

Many thanks M
Guinness, responded to your PM with additional details.
Hope it's helpful.
post #23 of 42 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 11:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
Living in Florida, and not wanting to give up riding in the heat and humid, (even thought I hate it) I have found that NOTHING keeps me cool when stuck in traffic or if I am fatigued. On the highway, ventilated protection seems best. What keeps me going is hydration of anything cold. Sipping cool water every 15-30 minutes makes the hot ride bearable. If I am not continuously sipping a cool drink I get dehydrated and very fatigued.

I generally ride with ATGATT and simply look forward to a cool shower and change of cloths after all rides.

By the way, I really do look forward to a summer shower if it is not too hard. Really feels good on a long hot ride.
Dano,

Bought and tried them all.
For me, the Veskimo is the heat (pun intended).
Constant and consistent cooling regardless of activity (static or active).
ATGATT, regardless of weather, so this has now replaced my Cool Vest and Silver Eagle evaporative vest as my gold standard.
post #24 of 42 Old Apr 10th, 2009, 9:37 am Thread Starter

I'm convinced on the Veskimo but am a bit confused by the website. If I order the "Complete Personal Cooling System" do I need anything else? What about an extension hose or rechargable battery and charger kit? Can I run it from my accessory outlet without batteries? If you run it on the batteries, how long do they last? Thanks.
post #25 of 42 Old Apr 10th, 2009, 7:47 pm

Quote:
I'm convinced on the Veskimo but am a bit confused by the website.

If I order the "Complete Personal Cooling System" do I need anything else?

What about an extension hose or rechargable battery and charger kit?

Can I run it from my accessory outlet without batteries?

If you run it on the batteries, how long do they last?

Thanks.
1. It's a complete system.
2. Unless you prefer not to wear the Veskimo backpack, you won't need an extension hose. The extension hose is to place the Veskimo farther away from the body (back seat).
3. Yes, they sell a 12V adapter to power the system. But, the battery pack is great when you're not tied to a 12V source, like when mowing the lawn, moving your daughter in/out of her college dorm, etc.
4. Batteries last about eight hours. They also sell a rechargeable battery pack. I've just kept extra batteries on board.
post #26 of 42 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 6:15 pm

Discovered, yesterday that Veskimo has added a 9 quart and a 4.4 quart external cooler to be used with the cooling vest (vice the backpack).

Personal Cooling System 9 Quart Hand-Carry Cooler
http://www.veskimo.com/servlet/the-2...-cooler/Detail

The 9 quart has almost 4 times the capacity of the vest, so should last most of the day without recharging. It's a little high at $169.00, but I like that I can strap it to my back seat, then just connect and disconnect to the cooler. It has a 12V power cord that will connect to the rear outlet.

Ordered the 9 quart, last night. Probably won't be here before I leave for the GA Mountain Rally, but I'll definitely use it during the REDWING 19 Iron Butt fund-raiser, 16-17 May.

I'll post an after-action report on the 9 quart after I return from the ride.
Hope it works as expected.
post #27 of 42 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 9:01 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for your advise all. I ordered a Veskimo. So far the customer service was unusual. Within 2-3 minutes of placing the order, they called to confirm and discuss their products and ask where I had learned about them. Upon learning that I intended to use it on a motorcycle, they inquired as to how I thought I would like wearing the back pack and suggested I consider either the 4 or 9 quart cooler. I ordered the complete system so it can be used on or off the bike and also ordered the 9 quart cooler. I'll provided a review after a few miles.
post #28 of 42 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 9:43 pm

If I may suggest, make your own ice blocks.
Big, but small enough to fit through the mouth of the cambelbak.
They'll last longer than regular ice cubes.
Fill the rest of the space with ice cubes,
then the little bit of water that they recommend.
Don't use crushed ice.
Too much surface area, so they melt extremely fast.

During a ride, when we stop to eat,
I'll ask for ice to recharge the camelbak.
Haven't been turned down yet.
And there's always a quick stop with ice.
I'll buy a beverage, and ask if I can get some ice for my camelbak.
Haven't been turned down there, either.

Love mine.
Hope you have the same experience.
post #29 of 42 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 8:23 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I was wondering what type of fit is the Vanson. Is it cut tight or run small? Any info would be great.

TIA

Quote:

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #30 of 42 Old Apr 30th, 2009, 10:27 pm

Quote:
Discovered, yesterday that Veskimo has added a 9 quart and a 4.4 quart external cooler to be used with the cooling vest (vice the backpack).

Personal Cooling System 9 Quart Hand-Carry Cooler
http://www.veskimo.com/servlet/the-2...-cooler/Detail

The 9 quart has almost 4 times the capacity of the vest, so should last most of the day without recharging. It's a little high at $169.00, but I like that I can strap it to my back seat, then just connect and disconnect to the cooler. It has a 12V power cord that will connect to the rear outlet.

Ordered the 9 quart, last night. Probably won't be here before I leave for the GA Mountain Rally, but I'll definitely use it during the REDWING 19 Iron Butt fund-raiser, 16-17 May.

I'll post an after-action report on the 9 quart after I return from the ride.
Hope it works as expected.
The 9-quart cooler arrived in time for my 400-mile trip to the GA Mountain Rally, yesterday.
Ice lasted most of the day; Recharged for the last two hours (of 8 hours).
Took it out, today on a 205-mile ride from Hiawassee => Wayah Bald => Cherohala Skyway, and return to Hiawassee.
Kept me cold and comfortable; no heat stress, even with ATGATT.

Fill cooler with ice, plus 2 inches of water.
Cover, place back in cooler.
Strap cooler to back seat (Helen Two-Wheel straps work great),
Plug in power plug to 12V outlet.
Connect cooler to vest.
Push rocker power switch to "ON"; pump self-primes
and you'll start feeling the your back getting cold, then the front.

Make sure the vest is snug; Won't feel the cold unless it's in contact with you.
if you secure the cooler with the Veskimo label facing to the rear, the hoses and the power supply will be on the left (port) side of the bike.
Makes it easier to connect/disconnect the hoses.

With the Veskimo personal cooling system and my Gerbing electric jacket,
I've got both environmental challenges to riding covered.
post #31 of 42 Old May 7th, 2009, 12:02 pm Thread Starter

I've now used both the Camelback backpack and the 9 quart system. Both work great. The backpack gives you mobility in that you can get on and off the bike without disconnecting and the pump continues to cool the vest when you stop for fuel or a break. However, the backpack (1) does not last as long and (2) the pump in the backpack is not self-priming and priming takes a minute or two if it has run low on water. The 9 quart provides superior performance and plugs into the accessory outlet plus its pump is self priming. The disadvantage is the size of the 9 quart cooler (I may also order the 4 quart for when I do not need the 9 quart) and the fact that you have to disconnect the hoses each time you dismount. You get some interesting looks riding at 102 in black leather and showing no sign of discomfort from the heat.
post #32 of 42 Old May 7th, 2009, 1:24 pm

My total miles to/from the GA Mountain Rally was 1295 miles.
400 miles each way, plus rides throughout GA/NC/TN.
Removed the issue of heat stress and fatigue.
The 9-quart with the 12V power supply covered me almost all day.
I would have had to recharge twice with the Camelback,
but the Camelback provides the mobility away from the bike.
Glad I have both.

It's been well worth the investment.
REDWING 19 SEAL/Special Operations Aviation Memorial Iron Butt Rally, next weekend.
With temps projected into the low 90's,
the Veskimo will definitely make a difference on that ride.
post #33 of 42 Old May 7th, 2009, 9:39 pm

Quote:
I've now used both the Camelback backpack and the 9 quart system. Both work great. The backpack gives you mobility in that you can get on and off the bike without disconnecting and the pump continues to cool the vest when you stop for fuel or a break. However, the backpack (1) does not last as long and (2) the pump in the backpack is not self-priming and priming takes a minute or two if it has run low on water. The 9 quart provides superior performance and plugs into the accessory outlet plus its pump is self priming. The disadvantage is the size of the 9 quart cooler (I may also order the 4 quart for when I do not need the 9 quart) and the fact that you have to disconnect the hoses each time you dismount. You get some interesting looks riding at 102 in black leather and showing no sign of discomfort from the heat.
Moot,

To eliminate that lag when the backpack pump is priming,
you have to eliminate the air in the lines.
Pressurize the backpack by blowing air into the oral inflation valve.
Turn the backpack on its side, with the hoses on top,
squeeze the bag while pressing in the release valve on outbound water line
until water starts flowing out.
It only take a couple of seconds.
Then connect the hoses to the vest.
Then you're not moving air through the hoses.
post #34 of 42 Old May 18th, 2009, 5:54 pm

Just returned from the REDWING 19 SEAL/160th Special Operations Aviation Memorial Iron Butt Rally.
423 bikes launched on the 1000 mile SaddleSore ride.
403 bikes completed the ride within the 24 hour time limit.

The Veskimo with 9-quart cooler worked as advertised with the temps in the upper 80's.
Made the long, hot ride with ATGATT very comfortable.
Ironically, I also used my Gerbing electric jacket for almost the last 400 miles as the temperatures dropped down into the upper 50's/low 60's due to the hard rains.

Trip up and back was a total of 1796 miles.
Used the Veskimo for the 350 mile trip to Chantilly.
Didn't need the Veskimo for the ride back home.
It rained from start to finish, almost the entire 350 miles.
Glad I had the Gerbing.

I used the Helen Two Wheels (H2W) large roll top bag.
Rolled the top closed, with the water hose and power cord protruding from one end.
Used cling wrap to cover up (i.e. waterproof) the switch connections and the 12V power head and my BMW 12V adapter.

Secured the bag with the K1200LT-specific luggage straps from H2W.
The regular H2W straps (or any other for that matter) will also work.
It only takes me a few minutes to unstrap, pull out the cooler, recharge with ice, then reverse the process.

Between the GA Mountain Rally and the REDWING 19, it's been a 3081 mile journey.
Glad I had both my Gerbing electric jacket and the Veskimo personal cooling system.
They've mitigated both the cold and the heat factors from my rides.
Now, if I could only get the idiots off the road and the DOT to fix the roads.....

Safe travels.
post #35 of 42 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 7:16 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

After wearing this for a few weeks I have to say I love it.

It is very lite and cool, in the mornings I have had to wear one of my liners.

It is well made, I like the addition of leather to the armor areas and while at first I was a bit leery on protection, after wearing it I am sure it will do its job and the armor/leather seems like a good idea.

I know it puts my mesh Olympia to shame on coolness and weight.

Hope I never need to test it but it sure beats a t-shirt which I would do if it got too hot for my mesh Olimpia.

Vanson was easy to deal with and the product is well made.

I like it and am very happy I read this thread and bought it.

Quote:

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #36 of 42 Old Jun 19th, 2009, 2:47 pm

Gary (LT_PILOT),

From this thread and your many posts, I just decided to give the Veskimo a try. Just ordered the vest (only) and the 4.4 mini-cooler for it.

Hopefully they are quick to fill the order! Itís been warm down here in the afternoons. Plus Iíll be doing a quick solo 2,000+ mile round trip up to PA next month.

Going to see if the mini-cooler will fit in the tank bag. If not, no big deal as my wife will use it for her (not yet ordered) vest/backpack combo. The mini-cooler should fit up and in the top rack bag. Then Iíll use the backpack component.

Jon

2011 R1200RT - not named yet

2005 K1200LT Blue - "Sapphire" - gone

1995 ST1100 Red - "Red Rider"

BMW MOA #139052
post #37 of 42 Old Jun 19th, 2009, 5:14 pm

Currently, it's 93 degrees with a real feel of 99 here in Fort Bragg, NC.
Tomorrow, it's projected to be 102 degrees with a real feel of 106.

I use the 9 quart on my weekend rides.
I use the backpack riding to/from work.
Only needed it for the ride home in the late afternoons,
but used it this morning when the temps were 81.

It's been great not worrying about the heat
as a factor of whether I'm taking the bike or my Toyota Sequoia.
I used my infrared temperature gun on the Veskimo
immediately after returning from a ride in 95 degree heat on Sunday.
The temps at the input lines in the back were 48 degrees.
The temps on the water lines on the back and front of the vest were at 62 degrees

Tomorrow, our Tarheel Traveler motorcycle club meeting
is also a picnic at Harris Lake Park.
With the temp as high as they are, I'm taking both the 9 quart and the backpack.
The backpack will make walking around in the heat much more tolerable.
Taking my Bushtec trailer so I can pack my chair and umbrella.....

Since I don't worry about the heat,
I can take the long way home from work.

Hope it works well for you.
post #38 of 42 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 9:35 pm

Jon,

You should have received your Veskimo by now.
Let me know if you have any questions.
I've got about 5000 miles on my Veskimo system since last summer.

Temps on Saturday were up to 101 degrees (104 real feel).
Wish I'd had a Veskimo cap for my helmet,
but I was very comfortable with the vest.
Refilled the ice before I made the 1.5 hour ride home.
Never sweated; jacket was dry when I arrived home and hung it up.

I keep a Camelbak bladder filled with ice/little bit of water
and a blue ice pack in a cooler in my tank bag for hydration.
Carry an extra bottle of water to refill during the ride.
Simple, but it works.
Easier to clean at the end of the day, too.

I drain and air dry everything at the end of the day.
Disinfect with Clorox and water about once a month.
post #39 of 42 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 10:00 am Thread Starter

A Saturday trip from Phoenix to Las Vegas provided a true test for the Veskimo with temperatures soaring to 104 (according to the OBC thermo on the RT) . I was quite comfortable. I was using the 9 quart which lasted for about 3 hours before needing to be recharged with a new supply of ice. I had expected my head to get warmer than it did, however it appears that if you are keeping your core cool, your head does not get nearly as warm as you might think. BTW, does anyone know how accurate the thermometer is on BMW bikes?

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)
post #40 of 42 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 2:00 pm

The OBC on my LT has been spot on with the current readings on the web.
Goes up and down a few degrees depending if I'm down in a draw or up on higher ground.
post #41 of 42 Old Jun 30th, 2009, 6:56 am

Quote:
Jon,

You should have received your Veskimo by now.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Gary,

Yes, it arrived on Thursday. Butt... have not had a chance to try it out - had a flight to PA to catch. Will say it was packed and appears top-notch. Came with two "tupper" containers to make large ice blocks - nice touch. Wonder if they would consider offering the external cooler power cords in a BMW-format plug. I would pay extra for that even though I could do it myself.

Didn't consider that the "head heat" aspect would be helped with keeping your body core cooler, but makes sense.

I will try it out this week and let ya know.

Jon

2011 R1200RT - not named yet

2005 K1200LT Blue - "Sapphire" - gone

1995 ST1100 Red - "Red Rider"

BMW MOA #139052
post #42 of 42 Old Jun 30th, 2009, 7:06 am

Jon,

Hope it works for you.
It's been in the high 90's to low 100's here.
No decision point any more on whether it's too hot to ride.
It's cool.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in