Solved tank bag dilemma with a Marsee bag - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Feb 12th, 2009, 7:12 pm Thread Starter

Solved tank bag dilemma with a Marsee bag

I gave up on finding a used Chicane tank bag and found this one from Marsee with a corona mount made especially for the LT!! The website shows some nice pics of it mounted to the LT.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...MarseeTankBags

I just got my order delivered the other day. The quality of this bag is incredible!! I went with the electrical kit also. I can't wait to get my bike out of storage and get the corona mount bolted on. I also got some Helen Twowheels straps from them as well. They were a great company to work with and my package arrived in just a couple of days. Will post a follow up after i get it mounted. Should be a sweet set up without the straps.

2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jun 19th, 2009, 5:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Solved tank bag dilemma with a Marsee bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayhlr
I gave up on finding a used Chicane tank bag and found this one from Marsee with a corona mount made especially for the LT!! The website shows some nice pics of it mounted to the LT.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...MarseeTankBags

I just got my order delivered the other day. The quality of this bag is incredible!! I went with the electrical kit also. I can't wait to get my bike out of storage and get the corona mount bolted on. I also got some Helen Twowheels straps from them as well. They were a great company to work with and my package arrived in just a couple of days. Will post a follow up after i get it mounted. Should be a sweet set up without the straps.
Did you mount your bag? I recently ordered and received the 10L bag with corona mount and electrical option. As you say, the bag appears to be very well made. My only concerns are: will the weight cause the plastic hinges or the latch to break and the way the bag interferes with the handlebars. The note at the RPW web site says that the bars light touch the bag, but mine is much more than that. The bag limits the travel about 3/4" on each side and I'm not sure I will be able to turn the bars far enough left to use the fork lock without first removing hte bag.

I'm curious as to your experience.

I was just about to drill the holes this evening, but have decided to think about it just a little more before committing myself and seeing what I could find here on the forum.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 6:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Solved tank bag dilemma with a Marsee bag

Well, hearing no feedback on the Marsee Corona mount tank bag, I bit the bullet and drilled the four holes in the oddments cover yesterday and mounted the 10L Rocket Pocket bag. It sure was hard to drill the first hole into that expensive German plastic!

I'll post a few initial comments here and then try to remember to post more details after I take the first real trip with the unit in mid-July.

Pros:

The mount and bag appear to be very well made.

The bag is easy to install and remove.

Both short and longer bolts were provided (full set of each) and I needed to use two of each length. I need to trim about 1/2" off the two long bolts to avoid hitting things in the oddments box.

The clear cover opens easily and has two internal cable ports and two external passages molded into the lid.

The radio controls are still visible with just a slight forward lean (I'm 6' which helps). I don't have a GPS, but one should be easily visible.

The strap loops on each corner should be very useful to hold the cables neatly once I get 4 small carabiners to place at each corner.

Cons:

The bag came with no mounting instructions, but it is fairly obvious and the letter from Tom at the RPW web site is very useful. A drilling template would have been a big help as I spent most of the time trying to get the mount located properly (centered, oriented correctly, etc.).

The RPW site says the bars "slightly" touch the bag. This is true of the right handlebar, but not the left. The radio and BC control module on the left handlear sticks out more than the right bar controls and hits the bag quite hard (probably hits the bag nearly 1" before full lock) and depresses the "+" volume switch. Any nearly full lock turn is going to give me a good shot of volume if the radio is on! The bag does depress though so I see no safety issue, just a nuisance issue.

The Corona mount in the bottom of the bag takes up a lot of space as the 4 magnets go probably an inch into the bag space on the inside. Add in the wires for the electrical kit and probably 1/3 of the lower compartment volume is basically not useable. I will probably place a couple layers of 1/2" foam in the bottom to protect things from bouncing on the magnets.

The molding sprue mark is dead center in the top lid leaving a large wart and a deformed and optically defective circle at least the size of a silver dollar.

Misc:

I didn't buy the rain cover and now realize I should have. The poly cover has large openings on the rear for cables to exit and I suspect water will get in during the rain. Time to place another order and eat the relatively large shipping cost for this item. I recommend you order the rain cover when you buy your bag to minimize the shipping cost.

Matt

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in