Suggestions Requested For New Jacket & Pant - Dainese? BMW? Olympia? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Feb 1st, 2009, 1:17 pm Thread Starter

Suggestions Requested For New Jacket & Pant - Dainese? BMW? Olympia?

I've just purchased a new BMW K1200 GT and now need to get some gear. Selected the Arai Corsair V helmet - excellet product, and now need to purchase a great jacket and pant setup. I'll be a 3 season rider, and in the Northwest where we have lots of mountain passes, wet weather, and burning hot deserts in the summer, I'll need a really good jacket and pant. I'm going to avoid riding in rain, but may get caught from time to time.

I've been looking at Dianese - their D System D Dry Jacket looks good, as does their Strato Sport Gor Tex Jacket. I also have looked in the BMW Streetguard products, but alhough great quality, appear a little dull in tems of style. Tried on several Olympia jackets this weekend and although less pricy than BMW, left me feeling as if I was dressed more for snow boarding than motorcycling. I'm also not much for the dayglow colors - great for safety, but I hear they get dirty fast and are not much fun to clean and don't age well.

So everyone - suggestions on what to buy, and better still, where to get it a great price - bring it on!

This community board has been a godsend so far (with your help I located a new bike for an ubeatable price) and I hope you can help me once more. All the Best!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Feb 1st, 2009, 1:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Suggestions Requested For New Jacket & Pant - Dainese? BMW? Olympia?

Check out the riding gear from Aerostich http://www.aerostich.com/home.php Two main styles, Roadcrafter or Darien, come in one or two piece suits. You can choose, mix and match sizes, colors, etc., and get custom fit if needed.

I've had Darien jacket and pants for about 140k, two trips to Alaska, several all-day rain storms, a tornado, and temps from below freezing to triple digits. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I have several other riding jackets and pants that I wear from time to time but if I had to choose just one it would be the 'stich. Customer service is great also, and if you need a repair they'll do that too.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Feb 1st, 2009, 2:27 pm

Thumbs up Re: Suggestions Requested For New Jacket & Pant - Dainese? BMW? Olympia?

From the description you are providing... Bar none... best jacket and pant combination is BMW Comfortshell... Three season waterproof protection... latest protective armor... and understated color combination (I wear the black and like that I can wear it in retail stores and the office with no one saying "freak")... Unfortunately, it is costly but you can occasionally get some great deals. I happened to get the jacket almost brand new from someone that was selling it through ebay... and matching pants through a BMW dealership in Danbury, CT offering 20% off all gear pre-Christmas.

As an aside.... since I ride to work... I actually use the Cover Pants more often with the Comfortshell Jacket since they slip right over my wool dress pants and VERY convenient for discrete riding to the office!

Hope that helps.

Brett

post #4 of 12 Old Feb 1st, 2009, 5:05 pm

If you want the best outfit....BMW Atlantis 3 or 4 Coat and pants. My Wife also has the outfit. I am sure that we will replace these eventually with another Atlantis suit. Highly recommend!

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #5 of 12 Old Feb 1st, 2009, 7:29 pm

I've been using the Aerostich Darien jacket and pants exclusively for the past year, except on hot days when I go with a cheaper mesh jacket. I'd go with the Darien setup again if I had to, and I'd also like to have a Darien Roadcrafter (their one-piece suit) for daily commuting and the ultimate easy-on/easy-off.

I am very favorably impressed with BMW's riding gear. Lots of choices there, with simlar price points to Aerostich.

IMO, one of the main reasons to look at Aerostich is it can be custom-made to fit you, within some limitations. Go to the factoryh (Duluth, MN) and get 10% off, plus you can try on EVERYTHING THEY MAKE - all products, all sizes.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #6 of 12 Old Feb 1st, 2009, 8:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

+1 on the BMW ComfortShell. It's great Pacific Northwest gear, breathable and totally waterproof. Add the BMW Phase change shirt and the jacket is comfortable down to around 50 degrees. For below 50 degrees, I add a Gerbings electric jacket. As a bonus, it's the only riding gear you need for touring, which saves space in the bags.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #7 of 12 Old Feb 1st, 2009, 11:34 pm Thread Starter

With regard to the Comfort Shell suit, has anyone experienced abrasions or scratching on the tank from the pants. Some have said to be wary of the pants , that they , although fantastic to wear, are rough on paint.
post #8 of 12 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 6:55 am

I'm with Howard: Aerostich Darien jacket and overpants have served me very well. Waterproof, extremely versatile (I wear it over a business suit, jeans, khakis or shorts in the Summer), and you can wear the pants in a store or restaurant and not look like you escaped from the circus. Although I have other gear, I wear the Darien combo year round, from 16 degrees (with electric jacket liner) to 100 plus degree SC Summer days.

I like the Hi-Viz but Aerostich offers some calmer colors if you prefer. They also offer the pants in colors other than black now. I was thinking the grey pants would be nice but my originals never seem to wear out so I guess I stay with my plain black pants for another decade or so.
post #9 of 12 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 8:25 pm

I looked at all three that you looked at and I went with Revit. Not quite as expensive as BMW but really good quality and definitely not as heavy as BMW. The other two just didn't quite fit me. I have been buying Revit products little at a time and found the first year it was available they we not fitting many body types. I was lucky and stated with a spring/fall coat and then pants. I then did a summer jacket and last year got the matching pants.

If you can find something that fits and get past the graphics everywhere I believe you will like the quality. There are reviews on webbikeworld as they have done a lot of reviews.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #10 of 12 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 9:15 pm

Regarding the question whether Comfortshell will scratch the paint... No, have not experienced any scratching of the paint... and not sure why it would pose any more risk than any other jacket/pant combination. You just have to be sensible with any jacket to make sure you do not leave an open zipper where it will rub against the tank during trips.

FYI... since I invested in gear approaching $1000... I decided to invest the relatively low cost adhesive carbon fiber tank guard... sturdy and no way the tank will get scratched by the tank bag (or jacket).
post #11 of 12 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 9:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankerBiker
With regard to the Comfort Shell suit, has anyone experienced abrasions or scratching on the tank from the pants. Some have said to be wary of the pants , that they , although fantastic to wear, are rough on paint.
I've not had any issues with the pants scratching the paint on the tank. Not really sure how that would happen as I sit on the seat not the tank!

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #12 of 12 Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 4:23 pm

Have you looked at Motoport?

The BMW stuff is nice but wow! the price is steep. IMO, you can't go wrong with either Aerostich or Motoport gear, both "made in the USA".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in