Scorpion Hi-Viz & EXO-1000 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 10:32 am Thread Starter

Scorpion Hi-Viz & EXO-1000

Best of the New Year to all...

Any reviews out there regarding Scorpion Commander Hi-Viz jacket and their EXO-1000 helmet?

I have always used a flip-up but this helmet seems to have some nice features with added Snell approval.

Never owned Hi-Viz but being more visible would not hurt the cause.

Your views and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards...

Mugz

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 12:31 pm

Re: Scorpion Hi-Viz & EXO-1000

I bought an EXO-1000 about 9 months ago. Good fit and finish to the helmet, excellent ventilation, the no-fog visor actually works! The inflateable bladders under the cheek pads makes for a good fit on your face each time you wear it.

Here's my experience with it:

The integrated sunshield is a great idea, but still needs to be refined. First, the sunshield isn't anywhere near dark enough. Second, the sunshield doesn't come down far enough when riding in an upright position (it works OK when you ride a sport bike), it cuts off right in the middle of your field of vision. It either needs to move down further or be closer to your face to be worth it.

The cheek pad attachment system in the front is quite poor. When you break the little zip ties (that's what they are attached with) you are SOL.

Also note that without cutting into the helmet itself, you cannot install helmet speakers. I don't know if they would work with earbuds or not.

I don't wear this one much, as it is not the correct shape for my head (my go to lid is an Arai Profile).

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #3 of 8 Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 2:37 pm

I have a Scorpion exo-700, love it, and my 10-year old daughter wears an exo-400 which I HIGHLY recommend for children, it's one of the few that come in an XS, and the ample padding gave her smaller-than average head the necessary snug fit PLUS for less than $20 I'll be able to swap out the liner for a S, then a M instead of buying a new helmet twice.

When the exo 1000 was announced, I started drooling, couldn't WAIT for the thing to finally be released. And boy was I disappointed. Not in the helmet, but in the fact that it didn't fit me. The exo-700 in XL fits me perfectly. The exo-1000 in L is too snug (and always would be, even with the anticipated "padding will compress with wear factor), and the XL is too loose, even if I sit there and pump the front until the inflatable cheek pads are ready to burst--which looks pretty silly to boot, as it takes about a minute to do as well, when you have to inflate them FULLY.

Neat lid, but didn't fit, I was VERY grateful for having tried one on instead of ordering it first!!!

I thought the "ram-air" feature of the pop-up top vents would be the "cat's ass" too, but as it turns out, they're more noise than function.

Check out the video reviews at http://www.helmetharbor.com. They are my go-to guys for helmet reviews, because they have a unique rating system that includes a "wind tunnel room" where customers try on helmets, go in the room, have fans that simulate riding at highway speeds, then rate the helmets for fit, noise, ventilation, etc, which are tallied and reported regardless of profit margin, etc. They have 5-7 minute video reviews on many of the newer helmets that are really informative on the website too. (damn, I should get a kickback)

My next helmet is gonna' be the new Bell Star, which got amazing reviews for ventilation, fit and finish, etc...strangely, although I wear an XL in Scorpion, Shoei and Nolan, I wear a MEDIUM in that one.

post #4 of 8 Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 8:09 pm Thread Starter

Appreciate your thoughts and opinions guys!

I am surprised to hear tbarstow say that headsets are not possible with this helmet as I have the IMC set and I brought the helmet to their booth where they verified fit.

Any opinions regarding the Commander jacket in Hi-Viz or not?

Regards...

Mugz

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #5 of 8 Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 11:06 am

If I'm not mistaken, there is a review of the jacket on www.webbikeworld.com

They also have a review of the Scorpion EXO 700 Neon / Hi Viz helmet.

I have one of the helmets on order. Scorpion has probably the best bargain in hemets on the market, (IMO).
post #6 of 8 Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 7:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugszy
Appreciate your thoughts and opinions guys!

I am surprised to hear tbarstow say that headsets are not possible with this helmet as I have the IMC set and I brought the helmet to their booth where they verified fit.

Any opinions regarding the Commander jacket in Hi-Viz or not?

Regards...

Mugz
I tried putting my Autocom speakers in it, both over and under the pads and they would not fit without smashing my ears.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #7 of 8 Old Jan 25th, 2009, 2:42 pm

I purchased an EXO-1000 helmet about 10 months ago. I have used it extensively. I absolutely love it !!! It was a little tight at first, but worked in. I think head shape may have alot to do with its effectiveness. The visor works great for me. It would be nice if it was a bit darker, but is quite affective. It is a bit heavy. Noise is pretty good, the pads work fine...

The added benefits are definately of benefit to me.
post #8 of 8 Old Jan 25th, 2009, 3:19 pm

I tried on one of the Commander jackets and it was very cool. The storm collar is a great idea. But for the money I felt like the Olympia AST was a better way to go; I was able to get one of those for about $225, and the Commander is at $339. I really like the hi viz stuff, you sure can see someone from a long ways away. it just makes sense to use all the tools available to improve our odds out there because I swear they're out to get us!

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in