Suggest rainsuit / raingear for a guy w 30-32" inseam? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Dec 28th, 2008, 4:48 am Thread Starter

Suggest rainsuit / raingear for a guy w 30-32" inseam?

Hi, all,

I have been scouring local motorcycle stores and on-line outlets, trying to find a new rain suit.

I need a good quality set, preferably 2-piece, that is made of nylon (not PVC) and has zippers on pant legs to allow me to put the pants on while wearing boots.

My problem, apparently, is that I am too short for current global standards. I am 57, 165 lbs and wear US-sized pants 34 waist with 30 inseam.

This 30 inseam is the problem, even if I allow a couple of inches more: I looked at the Tourmaster Sentinel suits, at Firstgear offerings and at the BMW Rainlock suit. All of these pants that fit my waist (typically Large or Medium) have legs that stretch well past soles of my boots! I swear, the inseams must be 36 on them!

I need to replace my current, worn-out, 2-piece rain suit that fits me well (and I absolutely love its fit and features): part of my BMW 3-Phase set. However, that one was actually numerically sized 42S not a generic S/M/L, like those I found offered for sale now.

So, anyone of you that use short-sized pants: can you recommend a rain suit for me?

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Dec 28th, 2008, 6:09 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Suggest rainsuit / raingear for a guy w 30-32" inseam?

I use Frogg Toggs and they work great. Small zipper on leg to slip on over boots and elastic on bottom to stay put around ankle. I've wore them in a hard rain riding 70 MPH with very little leakage any where.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 19 Old Dec 28th, 2008, 6:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker
Hi, all,

I have been scouring local motorcycle stores and on-line outlets, trying to find a new rain suit.

I need a good quality set, preferably 2-piece, that is made of nylon (not PVC) and has zippers on pant legs to allow me to put the pants on while wearing boots.

My problem, apparently, is that I am too short for current global standards. I am 57, 165 lbs and wear US-sized pants 34 waist with 30 inseam.

This 30 inseam is the problem, even if I allow a couple of inches more: I looked at the Tourmaster Sentinel suits, at Firstgear offerings and at the BMW Rainlock suit. All of these pants that fit my waist (typically Large or Medium) have legs that stretch well past soles of my boots! I swear, the inseams must be 36 on them!

I need to replace my current, worn-out, 2-piece rain suit that fits me well (and I absolutely love its fit and features): part of my BMW 3-Phase set. However, that one was actually numerically sized 42S not a generic S/M/L, like those I found offered for sale now.

So, anyone of you that use short-sized pants: can you recommend a rain suit for me?
42S = 42 short. I know this because I also have the same challenge when it comes to buying gear.

The only gear that I know of that makes a short version.....BMW.

Bought a new BMW suit for my wife and I this year.....both the short suits.

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!

post #4 of 19 Old Dec 28th, 2008, 7:02 am

I had a seamstress add a strip of velcro to the leg bottoms and after I get them on,I velcro the bottom and it keeps it tight on the ankle so it does not drag the ground. Probably looks a little goofy when I am walking around, but I got them to ride the bike, not walking around clothes.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #5 of 19 Old Dec 28th, 2008, 7:34 am

Frogg Toggs been there done that no thank you!

I went with BMW Rain lock Suit, easy in easy out with boots on, pants have zippers on both legs & Velcro flap around the cuff area for a tight fit.
no issues after 3 seasons, I also have a 30" inseam hope this helps.

Jeff

2001 R1100RT Opal Blue
2007 K1200LT Biarritz Blue
BMWMOA # 93149
Every happy ending needs to have a start
post #6 of 19 Old Dec 28th, 2008, 7:55 am

I also use Frogg Togg and they work great.

Have a great ride,

David
Dallas, TX
2006 K1200GT
BMWMOA 142756
post #7 of 19 Old Dec 28th, 2008, 7:59 am

Frog Toggs. Been there done that and would do it again.
Work great and take up no room at all.
post #8 of 19 Old Dec 28th, 2008, 8:12 am
Lifetime Supporter

Frogg Toggs!
I had a TourMaster suit but it leaked.
Just returned from a 2 week trip to Southern Spain & Morocco and had heavy rain for a couple of days. Our guide wore a BMW suit and was soaked through. I was the only dry one. Not fashionable but dry, light and packs well!

BTW, I have a 30" inseam but wear the XXL over my overpants and XL riding jacket.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

Last edited by PMitchell; Dec 28th, 2008 at 11:39 am.
post #9 of 19 Old Dec 28th, 2008, 8:24 am

+5 on the Frogg Toggs. I've had a set for about 5 years and have had no problems. I recently bought a new set and while doing the research on where to buy read some reviews on them. It seems the company has grown so fast they a quality control problem a few years back, but they have worked out the bugs.
I've bought a newer set with the reflective striping and have had no problems. JM2CW

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #10 of 19 Old Dec 28th, 2008, 8:52 am
ajs

Both my wife and I use the Frogg Toggs. We use them for rain, wind, and generally cold conditions. I have the Rev'It mesh jacket and pants that I use all the time. It has a membrane that attaches to the underside of the jacket and inside the pants. Unfortunately when I use them or any other membrane system I get wet from the inside. It's called sweat and is very uncomfortable.

The Frogg Toggs are the best answer I have been able to find for wet, cold, or windy conditions and I ride from very early spring to late fall with just the Rev'It suit and my Frogg Toggs in this Nova Scotia climate. I have heated grips and seat on my '05 LT and have maybe used them a couple of times since March of '06.

I also found the Frogg Toggs manufacturer to be very good on the customer service side. The original pairs I bought for my wife and I in Vermont at the MOA rally. The fit was ok for me but with my wife, who was back here in New Glasgow, I wasn't so lucky or maybe a little chicken. When I got back home and she tried them on and 'no fit' as in too small I called the vendor who assured me they could be exchanged if necessary when I bought them. He couldn't do anything.

I called the manufacturer and explained my predicament. My intent was to buy a new pair. They sent me a complete new set of different size top and bottom at no charge for the set or shipping and told me to keep the originals.

I know they are not the most fashionable but with the zippered leg and elastic at the bottom of the leg they are easy to get into and work just fine for wind, rain, (including the down pour) and cold sometimes with a little help from layering. We are still using our first set and will replace them with same when it becomes necessary.
post #11 of 19 Old Dec 28th, 2008, 9:17 am
Enjoy The Ride

Got mine at Bass Pro Shops rain gear dept. They have a large selection of all kind of gear. I rode in about 2000 miles of rain this year and never got wet once.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #12 of 19 Old Dec 28th, 2008, 10:16 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfGuy
42S = 42 short. I know this because I also have the same challenge when it comes to buying gear.

The only gear that I know of that makes a short version.....BMW.

Bought a new BMW suit for my wife and I this year.....both the short suits.
Hmmm... That's the problem: the Rainlock (the only 2-piece that I have seen in the BMW shop) did not have any short versions, just the generic S/M/L. And the Medium was way too long.

What did you get?

Robert in Northern NJ

post #13 of 19 Old Dec 28th, 2008, 10:20 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddard
... went with BMW Rain lock Suit, easy in easy out with boots on, pants have zippers on both legs & Velcro flap around the cuff area for a tight fit. No issues after 3 seasons, I also have a 30" inseam hope this helps. Jeff
Jeff: what size did you fit in? I did check out the Rainlock during my search and was very impressed by the jacket (pants are pretty good, too, although I think my 3-Phasen is even better). Still, none of the suits I tried (from Small on) seemed to fit me - I have been tripping over the pants legs. Are you rolling up the legs or something like that?

Robert in Northern NJ

post #14 of 19 Old Dec 28th, 2008, 10:24 am Thread Starter

Hi, All:

Thanks so much for your replies! As usual, forum members come through!

The consensus here seems to be for Frogg Toggs, beyond a few votes for the BMW suit. Interesting - I never got a chance to check Frogg Toggs out.

I'll try to find them locally this week to see how they fit.

Best regards and a Happy New Year!

Robert in Northern NJ

post #15 of 19 Old Dec 28th, 2008, 10:49 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Hi, All:

The consensus here seems to be for Frogg Toggs, beyond a few votes for the BMW suit. Interesting - I never got a chance to check Frogg Toggs out.

Most sporting goods stores will carry Frogg Toggs.

Stevie Shreeve
post #16 of 19 Old Dec 28th, 2008, 10:53 am

Quote:
Hi, All:

Almost all of the sporting goods type stores around here carry the Frogg Toggs. Many in various colors and logo'ed to several of the Tejas universities. I bought my last set at an Academy Sports, and on sale at ~$40. If possible, do wear you're typical riding gear into the store and try on a Frogg Togg set in one size larger than you normally wear in outerwear.
post #17 of 19 Old Dec 28th, 2008, 11:46 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Hi, All:

I find a ton of outdoor stuff at sportsmansguide.com
This is the link-click here! to their inventory of Frogg Toggs.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #18 of 19 Old Dec 28th, 2008, 12:06 pm

Quote:
Hmmm... That's the problem: the Rainlock (the only 2-piece that I have seen in the BMW shop) did not have any short versions, just the generic S/M/L. And the Medium was way too long.

What did you get?
We got the Atlantis 3 leather suits on closeout. We wore them to CCR this year and got caught for about 3 hrs in the rain. Not a leak!
We got them from Orlando BMW. I think they still have some available.
Anyway....all of BMW's suits whether textile or leather ....you can get in short. They are expensive but...They are the best I have ever used!

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #19 of 19 Old Dec 28th, 2008, 12:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfGuy
We got the Atlantis 3 leather suits on closeout.
Oh, I see - you've got the complete suit. That is what I have too, a few of their suits - and the rain suit that I enjoy until now came as a part of the 3-Phase suit set.

Indeed, that came in short size; BMW (and Rev-It, for that matter), has a wide variety of standard, long and short sizing.

Unfortunately, no such luck with separately-sold rain suits, even with the roundel. Just your S/M/L generic.

I guess I will be checking on Forgg Toggs, as per advice in this thread.

Robert in Northern NJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in