Riding Pants?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 9:11 am Thread Starter

Riding Pants??

I could use a little help on this one. What I'm looking to do is replace wearing blue jeans while I ride. I normally ride in temperatures between 55 and 95 degrees. I don't want an over pant. I want an increased level of protection with a fit somewhat like a relaxed fitting blue jean. Zippered legs and all the normal stuff you need with an over pant don't really matter. I't seems that most riding pants are cut to be used as an over pant? It's almost impossible to find any selection in my local area to look at so your input would be greatly appreciated.

2011 CVO FLTRUSE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 10:37 am

Re: Riding Pants??

Try Diamond Gusset Jeans. They have a Kevlar product called "Defender". Not as good as armoured pants but next best. I went down wearing their regular jeans. The material was not worn thru. I still got some road rash but only from the friction of the jeans. Their standard jeans are heavier than most other brands. I wish I would have been wearing the "Defender" then, but not willing to test it out for you with another spill. I have a pair of the "Defender" but am considering ordering the black ones so I won't go unprotected when one pair is in the wash. The "Defender" has velcro tabs on the bottom so you can stop all the flapping. The only down side is the kevlar in the knees and seat get hot in 90+ degree heat.
post #3 of 15 Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 10:53 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I had First Gear Tex Mesh II pants for a few years and love the fit. They are not an "OVER PANT" style. I have sense gone to Olympia pants as I wanted the "OVER PANTS" type of gear.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 15 Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 10:56 am
Lifetime Supporter

You near a Cycle Gear? I have a pair of Frank Thomas (what the hell a ball player is doing making motorcycle gear I'll never know=;0 ) pants. I bought them as supplement to my Aerostich jacket and overpants. I usually use them for day rides or when I didn't feel like looking like I was going to a HazMat call, but I've riden cross country with them. Comfortable, water proof, removable liner, zipper for boots and vents. Also mates with a matching jacket.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 11:58 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkersh1
You near a Cycle Gear? I have a pair of Frank Thomas (what the hell a ball player is doing making motorcycle gear I'll never know=;0 ) pants. I bought them as supplement to my Aerostich jacket and overpants. I usually use them for day rides or when I didn't feel like looking like I was going to a HazMat call, but I've riden cross country with them. Comfortable, water proof, removable liner, zipper for boots and vents. Also mates with a matching jacket.
John,
Just checked the Cycle gear site and they have three textile pants under Frank Thomas.
Which one do you wear?

XTi Aqua Waterproof
XTi Mesh
Strike-2 Aqua Waterproof

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #6 of 15 Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 12:15 pm

Several manufacturers now offer jeans with additional abrasion protection, similar to the Kevlar-lined Draggin Jeans . Some even have pads and armor. I know the Draggin Jeans have an option for kneepads, but I can tell you from experience, get the relaxed fit cut unless you have twigs for legs.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #7 of 15 Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 2:04 pm

I'm very pleased with the BMW savannah pants I picked up last weekend from the dealer.

They fit very well, feel great, have good armor (hips/knees) and look decent enough to replace jeans anywhere (ok, so you glow a little with the 3M piping, etc )

expensive though!

For reference, I've been wearing darien pants exclusively since 2001 so I know what your talking about regarding slipovers..great when you need them but otherwise they look like hell (not to be vain but..you know).

My only regret is that I didn't buy these savannah pants years ago.

I find that if I don't like gear, I won't wear it. I won't have any problem slipping into these beemer pants for any occasion, including shotgun weddings, etc
post #8 of 15 Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 2:14 pm

I have a pair of BMW Summer Pants. Wear them like jeans and they have armour and everything.

Regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #9 of 15 Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 3:16 pm

You can try the Draggin Jeans with their kevlar patches.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #10 of 15 Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 3:45 pm

I can only recommend 2 products that would meet your criteria of non overpants. Vanson leathers makes a perforated leather sport rider pants, has belt loops which I think is important. The other is Motoport "police" pants. Made of kevlar but breathable. You can read a review of them on www.webbikeworld.com. The guy doing the review had the same issues as you and said these (Motoport) pants are the bomb.

Both of these products are made in the USA and pricey. IMO, they have no equal and worth every penny. Fieldsheer makes a perforated leather pant as well and they're not so expensive. All you need for year round wear is a good pair of thermals or rainpants for when it's cold.
post #11 of 15 Old Dec 4th, 2008, 6:55 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your input. Now I've got a few clear options to explore. I do have a Cyclegear close by so I'll start there. I may ultimately bite the bullet and order the Motoport Kevlar Street Jeans. Just not sure yet. I'll be back with feedback on my purchase. Thanks again!

2011 CVO FLTRUSE
post #12 of 15 Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 11:46 pm

brosh.com.

Nice vented textile w/Kevlar sections and vents behind the knees.

Good stuff....I ride those on smoking hot days, and use Motoport Kevlar the rest of the time.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #13 of 15 Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 9:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamw
I have a pair of BMW Summer Pants. Wear them like jeans and they have armour and everything.
+1 on the BMW Summer Pants, and if you want to do the "Grif Look" you can zip off the pants legs and strut around in shorts... and boots.

Here in the States the BMW Summer Pants have "armor". The extra "u" is removed for the U.S. market.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #14 of 15 Old Dec 24th, 2008, 3:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Here in the States the BMW Summer Pants have "armor". The extra "u" is removed for the U.S. market.
What colours do they come in? ;-)

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #15 of 15 Old Dec 24th, 2008, 4:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamw
What colours do they come in? ;-)
You got me. Touche.

(black and tan, for those who are interested)

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in