Riding Gear Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Nov 28th, 2008, 1:35 pm Thread Starter
Dar

Riding Gear Question

I just purchased a K1200LT this September and have no riding gear. I would like to get textile jackets and pants for my wife and myself. We have to be able to wear these in the summer heat and fall cooler days, so ventilation and rain protection is important. Any suggestions on what would best suit our needs. We live in the Okanagan, Vernon, BC, Canada where the temperature climbs into the hight 30's C or 90's F.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Nov 28th, 2008, 1:55 pm

Re: Riding Gear Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
I just purchased a K1200LT this September and have no riding gear. I would like to get textile jackets and pants for my wife and myself. We have to be able to wear these in the summer heat and fall cooler days, so ventilation and rain protection is important. Any suggestions on what would best suit our needs. We live in the Okanagan, Vernon, BC, Canada where the temperature climbs into the hight 30's C or 90's F.
I've got a hodgepodge of gear, so prolly best that I just pass this on to you - check out the Olympia inventory of riding gear. A 'lot' of folks in my 'hood just absolutely love each of Olympia's specific riding gear. Some with the one-piece outfit; others with two and/or three piece to include rain liners, etc. Plus, a few folks have taken a tumble wearing Olympia stuff and praise it's ATGATT attributes.

And then there are the vendors that support our forum site here - check their items out while you're waiting on info from individual riders. Good luck and really glad to hear you're taking care of both you and the missus. Ride safe.
post #3 of 11 Old Nov 28th, 2008, 3:04 pm

Olympia makes nice stuff for the price. Scorpion just came out with a new line of textile gear thats VERY bright as well. Check out the Commander jacket. Tourmaster is ok stuff, if it fits you right. I've also had good luck with Fieldsheer products. Another one to mention is Firstgear products. If money isn't a concern, take a look at some of the best, (IMO), gear on the market. Aerostich.com and motoport.com

Both of these companies have great reputations for quality and service. I have a pair of Darien pants (Aerostich) and like them a lot. There are some subtle differences so you'll need to read up on it a bit. For instance, the Motoport gear is made of Kevlar. You can get it in mesh to be worn year round. just add the waterproof or thermal liners and you're good to go.

I'm saving up for some Motoport "Police" pants and one of their mesh jackets. You can read a good review at www.webbikeworld.com

I'm sure others here will agree, buy the best gear you can afford. Make it Hi Viz, and wear it all the time.

post #4 of 11 Old Nov 28th, 2008, 3:38 pm

Olympia for us...

One of the nice points about Oly lower pants is that they are prime for alterations. My SO is short(5'2") and the ability to cut the bottom part off and reattach the working section (near the boot) is a bonus. It's not easily done with some of the other pants types I have seen.

Also, they zip fully up the leg... the zippers don't stop at the top of the ankle or at the knee... Makes it real comfortable when you stop for a bit in the warm sun. Also makes getting in and out of the pants a real dream.

And the liners are nice. I even use the inner coat liner as a wind breaker when I'm "out and about".

While Revit is nice looking, the items mentioned above kept us out of the purchase mode. Most everything else has limitations that the Oly gear seems to overcome...

just my $.02...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 Old Nov 28th, 2008, 3:44 pm

+1 on what Brian says.

I wore the First Gear Kilamanjaro for years and had a "get off" earlier this year, no scratches no nothing on my person.

Replaced the gear with the Olympia Bushwacker Hi Viz yellow jacket and the pants. Great suit for spring, summer and fall. Has the removable wind/waterproof liners.

If money is no object, you can buy Rukka!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #6 of 11 Old Nov 28th, 2008, 3:51 pm

For the both of us it is the BMW Commuter 3 jackets, for her the Olympia vented pants and for me Draggin' Jeans or Road Master pants if there is the possibility of rain.
Her boots are BMW and mine are AlpineStar.

The BMW jackets work quite well year-round in SOCAL and as 3 seasons elsewhere.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #7 of 11 Old Nov 28th, 2008, 8:00 pm

One of the inherent problems with mesh ventilated gear is getting the wind/rain liner on when the weather changes. For the jacket, it's not so much trouble, but for the pants, that could be another story altogether.
Of course, you always have the option to just get cold/wet too!

Enter convertible gear. Typically, this type of gear has mesh panels that can be covered up with a solid textile panel when you need to block wind or rain. There are a couple of models on the market already, but one that comes to mind are the Joe Rocket Alter Ego series.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #8 of 11 Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 10:03 am

Greetings: I wear the Firstgear textile product and have no complaints. I am currently looking for the Aerostitch one piece suit to try something different. My current thinking is a one piece suit may be less of a hassel to zip, pull, wiggle, and manage. I am sure their product is well made. Please keep in mind...statistics say your hands are usually the first things to hit the ground. I recently purchased the Held gloves for my wife and myself and just love them. $160 each was tough at the register but we got over that in about a week.
post #9 of 11 Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 10:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

My SO and I have been very pleased with the BMW Comfort Suit. Totally waterproof and somewhat breathable (I say somewhat because the pants can be a little hot in 90 degree weather). There is good ventilation with the jacket. You will need an electric liner when the weather turns cold (the jacket is a shell and doesn't have any liner). We especially like the armor, which is heat sensitive and conforms to you body contour once it warms up. Expensive, but it's the only gear you need on tour.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #10 of 11 Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 11:42 am
Lifetime Supporter

My wife & I own the Tourmaster/Cortech GXAir jacket & Venture Air pant. Mesh with waterproof and insulated linings which can be used either or both. Provides comfort for any conditions we've encountered so far. I also liked the similar product from Olympia. The GXAir in Blue won out.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #11 of 11 Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 12:35 pm

The wife and I decided on the BMW Streetguard jacket and pants. We have used these in below 40 and above 87 comfortably. Above that it gets warm when in stop and go city traffic. They were a little pricy at first, but very well made and very comfortable. I didn't want to have to change or modify for instant rain showers and these fit the bill. I will probably get a mesh jacket next summer for a little more comfort. BOL and enjoy the bike.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT
Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Ken

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in