Installed the Grip Puppies! & SealSkinz... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Nov 17th, 2008, 5:11 pm Thread Starter

Installed the Grip Puppies! & SealSkinz...

Wanted to get the tank filled before it snows, so had a chance to test the OEM tall shield without the Laminar Lip today. Had much better visibility, turbulence seemed to be about the same.

But, I returned home to find the Grip Puppies had arrived, and wanted to get them on while we were still in the low 40's!

Pre heated the grips in hot water, cleaned the grips on the LT, lubed it all well with soap and used a long bladed screwdriver (rotating that around the LT grips as I pushed the new ones on), and with a due amount of effort, they are now installed. Thought that might be a useful tip to someone else here.

Not sure if I would be so thrilled with these riding in the rain (they do hold some amount of water), but I've only done that once in the past year since I've owned the bike. They look great and you sure can't beat the price!

Did that in the dark (not the best of choices), but did not want to wait for a warm day next Spring to get these on, just in case we get one of those unusually nice days in Winter for a ride.

On the down side, I busted the left bottom front plastic panel on the trunk that has the DC outlets on it, if anyone has one to spare. We went to a farm with a well pot-holed, stoned driveway. ALMOST dumped it with the pillion on board...just could not get a footing when I came to rest on a hill. When I went to move to another area, my boot clipped the darn corner and off it came. Duct tape will have to do until a used part comes along.

Also, I used a set of Seal Skinz http://www.sealskinz.com/ over my thin socks as wind protection. I wear the uninsulated Danner boots and thin summer socks, and my feet were quit toasty. Temps in the 30's, wind chill of ?, the only cold spot on my body was my head. Still waiting for the HJC helmet so I can ride with a heavier balaclava, or continue to look for a shield that will better channel the wind away from the helmet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Nov 17th, 2008, 6:55 pm

Re: Installed the Grip Puppies! & SealSkinz...

Where can you buy SealSkinz in the US?

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #3 of 12 Old Nov 17th, 2008, 9:48 pm

An old trick from my mountain bike grip install days works great on the grip puppies, by the way, and avoids the screwdriver...

Get some Edge shaving cream (or any gel-type shaving cream), put a liberal coating on the existing grip and inside of the grip puppy, and it'll slip right on. As long as it's still wet, the shaving cream/gel acts as a super lubricant, but when it dries, it serves as almost a glue (and no recurring issues if/when it gets wet again).

post #4 of 12 Old Nov 17th, 2008, 10:35 pm

Try this link of Sealskinz dealers in the U.S. I might get a pair if they help keep my toes warm.
http://www.danalco.com/htmls/dealers/dealers.shtml

2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
post #5 of 12 Old Nov 18th, 2008, 12:36 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainingwheelz
An old trick from my mountain bike grip install days works great on the grip puppies, by the way, and avoids the screwdriver...

Get some Edge shaving cream (or any gel-type shaving cream), put a liberal coating on the existing grip and inside of the grip puppy, and it'll slip right on. As long as it's still wet, the shaving cream/gel acts as a super lubricant, but when it dries, it serves as almost a glue (and no recurring issues if/when it gets wet again).
Good to know. Thanks for the tip!

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #6 of 12 Old Dec 15th, 2008, 7:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yechave
Wanted to get the tank filled before it snows, so had a chance to test the OEM tall shield without the Laminar Lip today. Had much better visibility, turbulence seemed to be about the same.

But, I returned home to find the Grip Puppies had arrived, and wanted to get them on while we were still in the low 40's!

Pre heated the grips in hot water, cleaned the grips on the LT, lubed it all well with soap and used a long bladed screwdriver (rotating that around the LT grips as I pushed the new ones on), and with a due amount of effort, they are now installed. Thought that might be a useful tip to someone else here.

Not sure if I would be so thrilled with these riding in the rain (they do hold some amount of water), but I've only done that once in the past year since I've owned the bike. They look great and you sure can't beat the price!

Did that in the dark (not the best of choices), but did not want to wait for a warm day next Spring to get these on, just in case we get one of those unusually nice days in Winter for a ride.

On the down side, I busted the left bottom front plastic panel on the trunk that has the DC outlets on it, if anyone has one to spare. We went to a farm with a well pot-holed, stoned driveway. ALMOST dumped it with the pillion on board...just could not get a footing when I came to rest on a hill. When I went to move to another area, my boot clipped the darn corner and off it came. Duct tape will have to do until a used part comes along.

Also, I used a set of Seal Skinz http://www.sealskinz.com/ over my thin socks as wind protection. I wear the uninsulated Danner boots and thin summer socks, and my feet were quit toasty. Temps in the 30's, wind chill of ?, the only cold spot on my body was my head. Still waiting for the HJC helmet so I can ride with a heavier balaclava, or continue to look for a shield that will better channel the wind away from the helmet.

Just got done installing the Grip Puppies using your suggestions. IT WORKED GREAT! Ten minute job for both sides. Thanks.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Champagne in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride' ".

Ed

2003 BMW K1200LTC - "La Vaca"
1999 Kawasaki Concourse
1993 BMW K75
1990 Harley Davidson - Softail
Prior to 1990 - too many, too fuzzy
post #7 of 12 Old Dec 20th, 2008, 10:31 pm
Enjoy The Ride

In 6 months I rode almost 2,000 miles in the rain this year. So would you not recommend grip puppies. I'm looking to cover the stock grips so as not to wear them out.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 Old Dec 21st, 2008, 6:18 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayhlr
Try this link of Sealskinz dealers in the U.S. I might get a pair if they help keep my toes warm.
http://www.danalco.com/htmls/dealers/dealers.shtml
Thanks for the link I have a REI 5 miles from the home

Stevie Shreeve
post #9 of 12 Old Dec 21st, 2008, 7:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddle-man
In 6 months I rode almost 2,000 miles in the rain this year. So would you not recommend grip puppies. I'm looking to cover the stock grips so as not to wear them out.

Don't worry about the rain....put them on and enjoy.
Used them for 2 years now....never had a problem in the rain.
And if they were exposed to the rain ...they dried very quickly.

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #10 of 12 Old Dec 21st, 2008, 11:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainingwheelz

Same with any household counter cleaner (Formula 409, Simple Green, etc...) goes on nice and sudsy with a quick spray and dries like glue.
YAY 1000th post!

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #11 of 12 Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 9:46 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfGuy
Don't worry about the rain....put them on and enjoy.
Used them for 2 years now....never had a problem in the rain.
And if they were exposed to the rain ...they dried very quickly.

Thats what wanted to know. BTW anywhere near Detroit Lakes I spent all my summers there from the late 50s to early 70s. I took a ride by the old cottage this past labor day weekend.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #12 of 12 Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 4:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddle-man
Thats what wanted to know. BTW anywhere near Detroit Lakes I spent all my summers there from the late 50s to early 70s. I took a ride by the old cottage this past labor day weekend.
Detroit Lakes is a beautiful piece of the country. But....I live about 70 miles South of Minneapolis.

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in