My quest for the "perfect" helmet - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Nov 12th, 2008, 8:58 am Thread Starter

My quest for the "perfect" helmet

My trusty Arai is starting to show it's age, and I've had nothing but problems with it - brittle vent covers that snapped off, the collar trim coming loose, and one of the cheekpads floating freely after a tab came unglued. To Arai's credit they did fix these issues at no charge WAY after the helmet was out of warranty.

So, time to think "outside the box."

One of my prime criteria this time around is better peripheral vision (pv) as well as losing a lot of weight. (on the helmet that is...) I also wanted chin protection - since that is the most likely thing to hit the ground first. 3/4 helmets were ruled out.

There is no question that the chin protection offered up by any of the following helmets is not as substantial as a dedicated full face helmet, but I felt that the increase in pv and reduced fatigue may be offsetting factors.

I initially ordered a "Mamaba" from Bonehead Helmets - developed for skydiving. This all carbon fiber helmet is EXTREMELY light at only 25 oz. and provided fantastic pv and was well made. The only problem is that it fit so close I couldn't wear glasses under it. While this is only a subjective observation I don't think it would protect as well in a crash as a "regular" helmet. Then again, it was not designed to do so. Sent it back. $315.00.

The Schuberth J1 Helmet is probably exactly what I need, but I am unwilling to part with $600.00 plus shipping and duty from Europe at this time. At 3 lbs, 4.4 oz it is still fairly heavy and there have been many reports of problems with the flip down visor, and their buckle system is cumbersome at best...

Dainiese makes an interesting helmet named the Jet Stream Tourer, but curiously enough I could not find it priced in their store. I think this would make an excellent summer helmet - it supposedly flows tons of air. Very well thought out - typical Dainese engineering.

Another option is the Airoh Urban Jet. Once again I could not determine pricing. This brand in the past has had a reputation in Europe as being kind of cheap, but apparently lately they have stepped up their quality quite a bit.

So, the hunt goes on....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	helmet-impact.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	20563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mamba.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	20564   Click image for larger version

Name:	schuberth-j1.gif
Views:	323
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	20565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Daniese Jet 1.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	20566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Danise jet 2.gif
Views:	83
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	20567  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Airoh Urban Jet.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	20568  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Nov 12th, 2008, 12:11 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Re: My quest for the "perfect" helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
My trusty Arai is starting to show it's age, and I've had nothing but problems with it - brittle vent covers that snapped off, the collar trim coming loose, and one of the cheekpads floating freely after a tab came unglued. To Arai's credit they did fix these issues at no charge WAY after the helmet was out of warranty.

So, time to think "outside the box."

One of my prime criteria this time around is better peripheral vision (pv) as well as losing a lot of weight. (on the helmet that is...) I also wanted chin protection - since that is the most likely thing to hit the ground first. 3/4 helmets were ruled out.

There is no question that the chin protection offered up by any of the following helmets is not as substantial as a dedicated full face helmet, but I felt that the increase in pv and reduced fatigue may be offsetting factors.

I initially ordered a "Mamaba" from Bonehead Helmets - developed for skydiving. This all carbon fiber helmet is EXTREMELY light at only 25 oz. and provided fantastic pv and was well made. The only problem is that it fit so close I couldn't wear glasses under it. While this is only a subjective observation I don't think it would protect as well in a crash as a "regular" helmet. Then again, it was not designed to do so. Sent it back. $315.00.

The Schuberth J1 Helmet is probably exactly what I need, but I am unwilling to part with $600.00 plus shipping and duty from Europe at this time. At 3 lbs, 4.4 oz it is still fairly heavy and there have been many reports of problems with the flip down visor, and their buckle system is cumbersome at best...

Dainiese makes an interesting helmet named the Jet Stream Tourer, but curiously enough I could not find it priced in their store. I think this would make an excellent summer helmet - it supposedly flows tons of air. Very well thought out - typical Dainese engineering.

Another option is the Airoh Urban Jet. Once again I could not determine pricing. This brand in the past has had a reputation in Europe as being kind of cheap, but apparently lately they have stepped up their quality quite a bit.

So, the hunt goes on....
The J1 is all that and then some. I know it is salty. I got lucky on flea bay and paid less then what you quoted, 400.00. However I would have bought it over seas had the bidding gone much higher. It is absolutely the quietest helmet I have ever worn. And the vision out of it is second to none. It spoils you quickly and the optics of the Lexan are the best I have ever seen on a helmet.

Go for it !

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #3 of 8 Old Nov 12th, 2008, 3:31 pm

Garage

Ron
I find find it really hard when it comes time to replace a helmet but in the end it always comes down to how much I think my head is worth, yeah 600 bucks is alot but we are supposed to replace ours every 5 yrs. so at just over 100 bucks a year it works out cheap in the long run, I am due for a new one also probly go for a nolan flip they are 430.00 here in Australia. generally I ride with it up in towns and city's to get some air, and drop it down on the road.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

post #4 of 8 Old Nov 12th, 2008, 4:15 pm

I just purchased a Shoei Multitec. After looking at all the helmets out there to include the Shuberth I settled on the Shoei.

I like that I can just flip it up and the other selling factor was that Shoei uses metal on metal for their latch.
Good luck

Last edited by MC4Fun; Nov 12th, 2008 at 4:21 pm.
post #5 of 8 Old Nov 13th, 2008, 9:41 am

Having seen the posted Leno video on helmets by Arai, I went to see what the local HD dealer had. They were VERY comfy, but I come to find due to hard economic times, they have reduced the prices to sell out their Arai helmets, and will no longer be selling them at all.

I am going on my fourth helmet attempt this year, the last three by mail order, sight unseen. The first and still being used Nolan was the winner of about five helmets I did have to at least try on, two which I rode for a short period and was able to return due to either a defect or some issue that they would not have been able to sell the helmet anyway. One of those was a real POS Bell.

Waiting for a new Sy Max II modular from HJC in about a week. I am hoping for a more comfy fit and better liner than the Nolan. Nolan goes back for warranty issues in about a month or so. Will see which of the two is best all around after I get a chance to put some miles on the HJC.

Their full face CL-15 was VERY quiet compared to anything else I have tried. Problem there was trying to get my glasses on. Once you have a modular, it is very difficult to go back to a sold full face.
post #6 of 8 Old Nov 13th, 2008, 11:38 am

I agree, glasses much easier with a modular.

I've been riding with a Nolan, XXl Modular for past 4 years and for the most part like it a lot. Ear plugs still needed to cancel out wind noise however, and there is NO room for microphone when the flip-up front is down and locked ( I have been cursed with a large head).

Also, the Nolan's quick release ratchet style strap fastener gets hung up on my jacket collar too often when I'm turning my head to look for traffic. Worse, occassionally it snags a whisker and yanks it out of my beard durring the same motion.

In my search for the perfect helmet, I'm looking for one with plenty of chin room, and I'm going back to D rings strap fasteners!

Bob Allred
Riverton, Utah
'03 K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 old Airheads & 1 Oilhead

post #7 of 8 Old Nov 13th, 2008, 12:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC4Fun
I just purchased a Shoei Multitec. After looking at all the helmets out there to include the Shuberth I settled on the Shoei.
I'm also very happy with my Multitech, but I don't think it meets the criteria that this poster was looking for: while light for a flip up, it's not a particularly light helmet, and the visor area is pretty standard sized.

Did you compare it against the C2 or the C3? I'm actually kind of interested in the C3, I really like the flip down sunshade idea and the visor on the C3 seems to be somewhat larger than the Multitech. (Though I don't actually have any issues with the field of view that the Multitech gives...)
post #8 of 8 Old Nov 13th, 2008, 1:53 pm

I can't seem to shake the multitec off my skull these days either, its just too convenient at gas stations, on the ride coffee breaks, etc. But it really seems heavy!! took me some time to get used to it.

My old corsair, paid 625 (graphics but was discounted) from Lone Star back in...mmm....2003 I think it was, is still the lightest thing I could imagine...I say imagine because other than dealers, I haven't been able to try them on or ride with them.

i should have bought a helmet while I was in germany this summer. I do have contacts there, they would buy and ship for me anytime.

i must have a helmet I can wear for hours on end so I'm willing to anti-up the cost for one I think will work for me. Sure wouldn't mind trying out that J1....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in