Just got new boots - A PITA - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Nov 1st, 2008, 7:39 am Thread Starter

Unhappy Just got new boots - A PITA

Just got some new boots that are quite a bit stiffer than the old pair and it got to the point where I wish I had an automatic transmission yesterday!

My last pair of boots (manufacture stopped making them and they probably didn't have as much protection as the new ones) were pretty soft and I really had a good feel for the shifter. This new pair are very stiff and I really have to bend my knee and ankle slide under the shifter and make it work correctly. Not fun like it used to be!

Should have also added: I ride the K1200LT

Anyone else have this problem? Will it get better? Suggestions?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by dandiver; Nov 1st, 2008 at 7:58 am. Reason: Bike is the K1200LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Nov 1st, 2008, 8:54 am

Re: Just got new boots - A PITA

What kind of boots did you get, Dano? Perhaps some mink oil might relieve the stiffness?

I have a pair of Danner Acadia Uniform 69210 uniform boots uniform boots & I absolutely love them. They did take some getting used to, but the higher sole helps because I'm "inseam challenged".

They aren't warm enough for winter riding in MN, so I still need to wear Gerbing socks.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT

Last edited by sonnata; Nov 1st, 2008 at 9:00 am.
post #3 of 16 Old Nov 1st, 2008, 10:34 am Thread Starter

They say BMW inside. Gotex on a side label, about 12 inches high. They are not overly stiff, probably they need to be broken-in. My last pair were actually branded Honda, very inexpensive and were very soft. Not seem to be made any more...

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

post #4 of 16 Old Nov 1st, 2008, 12:05 pm

Wear them absolutely everywhere, even in your bathrobe, for about a week. That'll take care of them. I seriously had to do that with the Altbergs.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by grifscoots; Nov 1st, 2008 at 3:52 pm.
post #5 of 16 Old Nov 1st, 2008, 12:36 pm

Grif's right..
If you can get them wet then walk in the mall or around the neighborhood until dry, you'll find it works better.That's how we broke in our new issue boots.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #6 of 16 Old Nov 1st, 2008, 3:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Where them absolutely everywhere, even in your bathrobe, for about a week. That'll take care of them. I seriously had to do that with the Altbergs.
Grif - which Altberg did you purchase? Regards, M
post #7 of 16 Old Nov 1st, 2008, 3:56 pm

I got the Clubman Roadster Microlite. Man, that is one thick boot. I can't imagine the regular Roadster. Also, it is dead on waterproof. By far, it is one the best moto boots I've ever bought.

Oh yeah, once broke in, you can wear it all day long in absolute comfort.... riding, or walking.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #8 of 16 Old Nov 1st, 2008, 4:30 pm

I have a pair of the Continental Tourers with waterproof lining. Daylong comfortable on or off the bike. After about 3 years the stitching holding the Velcro was coming undone. Took them back and they fixed that and another problem free of charge. They also do an overhaul service for about 40 GBP that returns them as good as new.

Regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #9 of 16 Old Nov 1st, 2008, 4:45 pm

And it was Graham that turned me on to Altberg. What a great boot and you get to talk to gals with that English accent while ordering!

-=grif=-

Grok
post #10 of 16 Old Nov 1st, 2008, 8:40 pm

Yeah, but they don't make 13EEE

Wait a minute.. I just saw they DO make 13 XW... I gotta look further...

What's the exchange rate.... British Pounds to Texas Dollars?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Last edited by cfell; Nov 1st, 2008 at 8:50 pm.
post #11 of 16 Old Nov 1st, 2008, 8:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Yeah, but they don't make 13EEE

Wait a minute.. I just saw they DO make 13 XW... I gotta look further...

What's the exchange rate.... British Pounds to Texas Dollars?
That's why I got them. 10.5 EEEE. They don't look it, not like the cowboy boots I have made, but they fit and fit well.

Currency converter: http://coinmill.com/GBP_USD.html#USD=10.00

-=grif=-

Grok
post #12 of 16 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 12:59 pm

Channing

British shoe sizes are typically half a size smaller than American but Altberg know what they are doing. They are also used to dealing with mail order and if they do not fit you can send them back for a full refund as long as they have not been worn outside the house.

Regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #13 of 16 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 1:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
Just got some new boots that are quite a bit stiffer than the old pair

Anyone else have this problem? Will it get better? Suggestions?
Cowboy up!
Just go round the back of the "barn"
and stand in the water troft,
then slap the old horse on the ass
and walk on after her,
by the time you "catch" her
your boots will be dry and broke in.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #14 of 16 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 1:31 pm

I got a pair of Combat light boots from Roadcrafter a few years ago and had the same issue. Wetting the boots is called "casing" and is not recommended because it is supposed to break down the leather. But I agree with Silver Buffalo, soak them in warm water till their saturated, put your socked feet into a plastic bag to keep your feet dry and go for a walk, do some deep knee bends flex the boots by putting your weight on your toes as you do the knee bends. In a day or so after the boots are completely dry get them warm and lather on the mink oil.

Tallshadow
post #15 of 16 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 6:38 am Thread Starter

Just an FYI...... Been wearing the boots a lot and that helped to break them in, (spent an hour or so rubbing in some mink oil) but the best relief occurred yesterday by raising the shifter about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. I had the bike in the local shop for a semi-annual break/clutch flush along with other assorted things I just don't feel comfortable doing myself and mentioned the shifting problem to the guy working on my bike.

He simply took the shifter apart, checked all points and then adjusted it a little. The ride home was such a pleasure and just like it used to be. Boots still a little stiff, but raising the shifter lever a little made the big difference...

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #16 of 16 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 7:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
Just an FYI...... Been wearing the boots a lot and that helped to break them in, (spent an hour or so rubbing in some mink oil) but the best relief occurred yesterday by raising the shifter about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. I had the bike in the local shop for a semi-annual break/clutch flush along with other assorted things I just don't feel comfortable doing myself and mentioned the shifting problem to the guy working on my bike.

He simply took the shifter apart, checked all points and then adjusted it a little. The ride home was such a pleasure and just like it used to be. Boots still a little stiff, but raising the shifter lever a little made the big difference...
Shifter adjustment is huge. My left ankle is fused, the sole thickness of the boot and the shifter have to align with each other. Now, let me ruin your day, sing with me: "When the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars..."

-=grif=-

Grok

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in