Peeling paint on new Nolan??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 5:54 pm Thread Starter

Peeling paint on new Nolan???

Boght a new Nolan open-face on-line for the SO. This thing doesn't scratch - it actually peels at the lightest contact/drop. Bubbling and peeling. Has anyone run into this with a helmet?

I have an N-100 Nolan and sure...it's got a scratch or three. No way can I actually peel the paint on it, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 7:07 pm

Re: Peeling paint on new Nolan???

I'm on my second N100, and it's peeling terribly. I'm going to take pics and send them into Nolan. Let's see how good their customer support really is. If they blow me off, that's the last Nolan I'll ever own.
post #3 of 21 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 10:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I'm on my second N100, and it's peeling terribly. I'm going to take pics and send them into Nolan. Let's see how good their customer support really is. If they blow me off, that's the last Nolan I'll ever own.
Joe, how old on the one that's peeling?

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #4 of 21 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 1:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
Joe, how old on the one that's peeling?
Under two years.

This one also does not have a removable liner like my first one did. That sure was a nice feature. In/Out in mere seconds for easy cleaning.

I think Nolan has sourced out some (if not all) of their manufacturing.
post #5 of 21 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 2:21 pm

I don't want to get into my helmet is better than yours.
But I would like to put in a plug for HJC. Recently mine and my wifes (3 years old) Symax helmets visors would not stay up. I tried to fix it with no real success. So I emailed HJC explaining my problem and just wanted to know how to fix it. Within a couple of hours received a email asking for my address. Three days later I received new mechanism for both helmets.

Made a believer out of me and I will continue to buy HJC.
post #6 of 21 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 6:33 am Thread Starter

This one seems as though it was spray-painted by a child. Never seen anything like it.
Coincidentally (?) the Nolan website is "undergoing maintenance".
Made a non-believer out of me, after several Nolans in my past.
post #7 of 21 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 7:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMeister
This one seems as though it was spray-painted by a child. Never seen anything like it.
Coincidentally (?) the Nolan website is "undergoing maintenance".
Made a non-believer out of me, after several Nolans in my past.
Unbelievable! And a bummer too. The wife and I both LOVED our first set of Nolans. I had nothing but great things to say about their product until this second one. I guess I'll be shopping for a new helmet (different brand) at the bike show this coming January. CARNEYM highly recommends the HJC helmets, but they typically don't fit my dome too well.
post #8 of 21 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 10:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARNEYM
I don't want to get into my helmet is better than yours.
But I would like to put in a plug for HJC. Recently mine and my wifes (3 years old) Symax helmets visors would not stay up. I tried to fix it with no real success. So I emailed HJC explaining my problem and just wanted to know how to fix it. Within a couple of hours received a email asking for my address. Three days later I received new mechanism for both helmets.

Made a believer out of me and I will continue to buy HJC.
+1 on the HJC. I'm on my second HJC Symax - this one being the Symax II, with the internal tinted visor.

I agree with you, Joe. Nolan surely must've changed their helmet source. I've had two in the past and the quality of build wuz first rate.

Off topic, butt ..... earlier this year, I bought a Vemar flip-up (has the internal tinted visor also). More expensive than the HJC, so figgered it might be worth the money. Within a day or two of wearing it, I noticed the seam threads were unraveling where the two different materials that make up the cheekpad meet. Took it back where I bought it - to the new MotoLiberty shop in San Antonio - and Nathan promised to order a new cheekpad. After several months of no joy from Nathan; and no phone calls to lemme know status; I e-mailed the distributor, MotoNation out on the left coast. Jojo's response wuz to take a picture of the defect, send it to 'em and they 'might' have sumpthin' in stock!!! I did that on 08-08-08, and heard nothing for several weeks. E-mailed again, and their second response on 9-10-08 wuz "I have looked for the backorder for you and the part will not arrive till mid November."

So, after waiting 9 months and still no cheekpad, I put the Vemar out to pasture and bought the new HJC. Love it. Much quieter than the Vemar; and air circulation and venting is much better, in my judgement.

Sometimes, I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to customer service; not this time!!!
post #9 of 21 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 12:37 pm

We have 2 Nolans, both N-Com's . One is about a year old the other about three month. I have looked carefully at both. They are flawless. One has been dropped and has a few chips, but the outer coating is not coming off around those areas either.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #10 of 21 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 2:19 pm

Talking Re: Peeling paint on new Nolan???

+2 on the HJC Sy-Max! I just purchased a Sy-Max II with the internal visor, and have not even used it yet, but am really looking forward to doing so soon!

And like Carney(sp?) said, they are great in their support. I had to replace the shield ratchets after I accidently got to going a little too fast with the visor open as well as the chin bar! Bout tore my head off with the visor, but managed to pull over and apply a little duct tape to hold the broken half in place to get home with it.

HJC sent me the necessary replacement parts at no charge!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 21 Old May 4th, 2009, 2:35 pm

I realize this thread is a little old, but the paint on my Nolan 102 has started coming off in large chunks too.

It started innocently enough with a scratch where the tail trunk was closed a little abruptly. I didn't hold that against them, but now it seems that anything it touches causes a bit of paint to come off. My SO's (same model, same color) doesn't seem to be having this problem.

Based on this thread, I'll probably look at the HJCs come summer.

Just in case anyone is keeping score.

Custom sig temporarily unavaiulable while I think about it.
post #12 of 21 Old Feb 6th, 2010, 12:54 pm

I started this on Feb 3 2010 about the same thing. Maybe combine them if possible.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52422

Sounds like it is not an isolated problem. It's a shame, because I like the Nolan flip helmet and will probably buy another unless I can find a similar one that is as comfortable.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #13 of 21 Old Feb 9th, 2010, 10:14 am

I had a open face Nolan with the outer layer peeling ot delaminating.

Won't ever visit them again.
post #14 of 21 Old Mar 6th, 2010, 7:49 pm

Thumbs up Re: Peeling paint on new Nolan???

I was in Daytona Beach today fort Bike week and happened by the Nolan booth. Since my helmet is pealing around the outside edges I mentioned this to the lady running the booth and she said that there was a previous problem with the outer pain flaking and that it could be "adjusted" under warranty. I didn't know what adjusted meant, but figured since my helmet wasn't too far away, it was worth getting it and finding out what they would do. My helmet is over 4 years old, but she said that it would still be covered. I wasn't walking around with my helmet and had met up with some friends from WV so I said that I would be back later.

I got back about an hour later and they said that I could get a new Nolan 103 for 150.00. They were selling them at the show for $300.00 and I think they list for around $350 so I left the show with a new helmet!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #15 of 21 Old Mar 8th, 2010, 10:19 pm

HI,
I'm in the process of doing something about my Nolan 102N helmet peeling.

Yesterday I emailed Nolan.com in Illinois stating my problem. This morning I got a reply saying I could send the helmet in for them to inspect. If it is paint peeling(which I'm pretty sure it is) they will discount a new helmet. Amanda said that they have discontinued the 102N.
I mailed them the helmet today.

I'll follow up when I learn more. If there offer to replace at the price Dano got, then it's a good deal. My 102N was purchased in October of 2007. All was good except for the looks from the peeling paint in several spots.

I'm probably going to give Nolan another try since I really like the helmet and it's price.

Vern

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #16 of 21 Old Mar 9th, 2010, 5:43 pm

Nolan replaced my N102 for an N103 at Daytona Bike Week for $150.00. My helmet was a little more than 4 years old.

I do have two concerns though The N-103 is noisier than the 102 by a significant amount. If I raise my windshield the noise goes away. The other concern is the size. I had a Large and exchanged it for a Large it seems to be too small. After an hour of riding it hurts my ears if I'm wearing sunglasses and or custom ear plugs. I have not installed the speakers in the helmet yet and probably won't as they will take up additional space.

I might look for real thin speakers or call Nolan for their comments. The sizes might have changed so be careful on your exchange.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #17 of 21 Old Mar 9th, 2010, 7:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Nolan replaced my N102 for an N103 at Daytona Bike Week for $150.00. My helmet was a little more than 4 years old.

I do have two concerns though The N-103 is noisier than the 102 by a significant amount. If I raise my windshield the noise goes away. The other concern is the size. I had a Large and exchanged it for a Large it seems to be too small. After an hour of riding it hurts my ears if I'm wearing sunglasses and or custom ear plugs. I have not installed the speakers in the helmet yet and probably won't as they will take up additional space.

I might look for real thin speakers or call Nolan for their comments. The sizes might have changed so be careful on your exchange.
Dano,
Thanks for the heads up on the size of the 103 over the 102.

I may luck out as my 102 could have been a little tighter, so maybe the 103(if that's what I get) will be about right. I do wear glasses all the time.

It'll be a few days before I hear back from Nolan per their inspection of my old helmet. I'll give them a week, then I'll bug'em. The Fulcan helmet I have to use in the meantime is really noisey! Ugh!
Vern

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #18 of 21 Old Mar 9th, 2010, 10:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver

Dan with n-com speakers you will not loose any space and about the noise now I know that is not only Me having problem, because my friend who advise me to by 103 for $295. ( hi have 102 and was very happy with) , did not belive .

2005 K1200LT
2002 r1150gs Just for fun
1997 Heritage Soft tail Resting in Europe
1996 Heritage Soft tail For my Ego days
post #19 of 21 Old Mar 10th, 2010, 12:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by medo10
Dan with n-com speakers you will not loose any space and about the noise now I know that is not only Me having problem, because my friend who advise me to by 103 for $295. ( hi have 102 and was very happy with) , did not belive .
I took the side padding off and see what you mean about the space for the speakers. Nice touch.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #20 of 21 Old Mar 10th, 2010, 12:48 pm

I just bought a N103 a few months ago. I figured after 6 yrs using my HJC I should probably buy a new one. I really just started using it a month ago and noticed when I wanted to flip up the front face it would jam up. I called Nolan in IL and the person gave me a RMA # and said he thinks it just got out of alignment but they would change out all the parts with new ones and send it back. Customer service seems to be good but am waiting to get my helmet back. Hopefully by Monday of next week.
As far as helmet size, my HJC was a large but when I tried on Nolans I noticed an XL fit better so that is what I ordered. I like the helmet but took time to get used to it as it fits differently than the HJC.
Hope I don't experience paint peeling with mine.

garyw
BMW MOA #156791

"09" K1200 LT

"03" GL1800
post #21 of 21 Old Mar 10th, 2010, 2:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpdx
I just bought a N103 a few months ago. I figured after 6 yrs using my HJC I should probably buy a new one. I really just started using it a month ago and noticed when I wanted to flip up the front face it would jam up. I called Nolan in IL and the person gave me a RMA # and said he thinks it just got out of alignment but they would change out all the parts with new ones and send it back. Customer service seems to be good but am waiting to get my helmet back. Hopefully by Monday of next week.
As far as helmet size, my HJC was a large but when I tried on Nolans I noticed an XL fit better so that is what I ordered. I like the helmet but took time to get used to it as it fits differently than the HJC.
Hope I don't experience paint peeling with mine.
I just spoke to Nolan's factory rep about the tightness of my Large helmet and they agreed to send me a thinner replacement cheek pad that covers the ear. Seems like they make 4 different thicknesses and I'm going to try the next one down from mine. I do like the cutouts in the foam, behind the padding for speakers. Just wish it was a little quieter....

I don't think you have to worry about the paint chipping as that was, per Nolan, just in an early group of 102's. Mine was about 4 years old.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in