Nolan N102 or N103 anybody made the move to the new one yet? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 10:56 am Thread Starter

Nolan N102 or N103 anybody made the move to the new one yet?

Wife says its in the budget as a Christmas gift. I have had three different helmets since I bought my 2000 Lt new. First was a full face but don't remember the brand, then a Shoei half helmet that while it fit good it created hot spots above my forehead that was really painful and no protection for my face or jaws, but I could hear the stereo so much better. No I wear a Arthur Fulmer 3/4 that does the job, fits good and I can hear the stereo pretty good up to about 85 but it smells like a dirty hamper full of gym wear.
I had read that the 102 was noisy and the sun visor was kinda crappy being on the outside. I can still get the 102 for about $229.00 and the 103 for $299.00.
I went to a local shop to see what size fit and my melon takes a large.
Any positive or negative feed back would be appreciated.
I have read the reviews on both from webbikeworld.com but would like the opinions from the riders in the forum.
While I would like a helmet that matches the bike, I am going to go with white instead of a darker color, think white would be cooler than a dark color.
Thanks

Last edited by Coot; Oct 3rd, 2008 at 11:01 am. Reason: addition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 2:28 pm

Re: Nolan N102 or N103 anybody made the move to the new one yet?

I have the N102 and love it
BUT..............................
I'd go for the 103 in a hot second
The visor being inside allows you to open the face shield and get some air while keeping the tinted visor down. (not possible on the 102)

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Oct 4th, 2008, 8:47 am

I also have the N-102. My head shape is oval and the Nolan fits really good. It is noisier than I thought it would be but I do like the helmet. Yes, a N103 will be in my future but not for this Christmas.

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 4th, 2008, 9:53 am

We have 3) 102's. I agree they are noisy with the visors down. The sun shade visor blows out of place, either works up or down, not too well in between... my interior liner does not lock in place either and will be sent back during winter for warranty repair. Other than that, my second best helmet ever. Best was a full face Bell Star from the 70's.

Check Revzilla.com for great helmet selection and pricing.

I have been waiting for the GMAX GM44 in XXL. Many improvements from what I could see over the Nolan, except lacking the micro chin strap. Their visor system and ease of change is significantly improved over the Nolan, keeping in mind only from what I saw in the store and not having worn it.

Nolan really dropped the ball on the lining. Not much room for adjustment or adding a doo rag or balaclava, and not very plush. It either fits or it doesn't.

Just bought a selection of ear plugs yesterday, see if that helps the wind noise for fall riding.
post #5 of 10 Old Oct 4th, 2008, 2:25 pm

We both like our N102s, and like the sun shade and flip up feature. They fit us better than the mult-tech did, and that's why we have the Nolans. The 102s are a bit noisy in the wind, but we've had them one season and like them. Coupled with the J&M headsets, and baehr intercom, we're good to go. We will consider the 103s when we look at helmets again.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #6 of 10 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 6:37 pm

We had 2 older N-102s. Then went to 2 HJC C-15s and hated them. The shields didn't seal well and when it rained it would get on the inside of the visor. Never did on the 102s. Last week we bought 2 Nolan N-103 N-Coms and like them so far. The blue tooth works good but not at a long distance. Does hook up to my cell phone and Zumo nicely.

Wayne

2006 K1200GT Blue

2008 F800ST Blue (Hers)
2006 R1200RT Red (Traded)
1999 K1200LT Champaign (Sold)
1985 K100LT Baja Red (Sold and
)
post #7 of 10 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 7:58 pm

I've been using a Nolan N-102 for the past 2 1/2 years. I like the idea of a built-in sunshade, and I use mine every time I'm on the bike, but the downside to the external sunshade is that it scratches the heck out of the visor. A solution to that is to stick a couple of little clear plastic "dots" on it - like you'd use to protect a glass top on a piece of furniture. My next helmet will be something else, just because I want to try something new.

I tried on a Nolan N-103 in a store last week. I like the internal sunshade much better but it didn't come down low enough for my preference. That may have been because the helmet wasn't sized right for me (it was too small). I'd like to try one on of the correct size.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #8 of 10 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 11:22 pm

My wife and I have N102's and like them, but I am looking forward to the Motorcycle show in Chicago in Feb. 2009 to try out the N103 and see if the inner visor fits over my eye glasses.

The visor on the N102 only works well with the shield down all the way. In the summer, it just does not reach far enough to get air in. Hope it works, and that I have saved enough money to get them. The shape of the N102 fits me nicely and does not cause headaches when I have it on all day, but as we all know, IMMV.

I also hope the N103's are less noisy.

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #9 of 10 Old Oct 19th, 2008, 7:06 am

I've had the N-102 for two seasons and prefer it over all previous helmets. As all helmets are going to fit different heads differently, what fits me might not you. I have a large one and installed better speakers than what came with my Auto-Com, generally wear earplugs and really love the quiet music.

The flip up feature is super and I don't notice the weight of the helmet. I would probably replace it with the same or the new N-103.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #10 of 10 Old Mar 6th, 2009, 5:03 pm
Mag

I just got back from a three hour trip (now that we finally had a day above 60) with my new N103. Is it me or is this helmet LOUD.......

Last year I wore a 3/4 HJC and don't think my ears hurt that bad from the wind noise. I waited an entire year to buy a new helmet. I must have looked at everyone out there and thought the N103 was a good choice. Now I'm beginning to wonder and might go back to the 3/4.

I also bought the NCOM and have to say that I'm not too impressed with this either.

Any comments, suggestions, etc???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in