Helmet Decision - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 1:27 pm Thread Starter

Helmet Decision

Hi all,

I am finally ready to get myself a substantial helmet but not sure which to buy. I currently have a GMAX brand helmet but would like something that better matches the style of my bike ('08 R1200RT-sand beige). I've given up on trying to find a color to match so I've decided to go with silver. I was hoping you could offer some suggestions. I think I'd like a modular. Also, I'd like to add a communication system to use my cell phone, zumo gps, and listen to music but am uncertain as to what kind to buy and whether I should get BlueTooth or wired. Any suggestions?

Ken - Atlanta, GA
'08 R1200RT
'02 R1200C

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BMW Motorrad
The Ultimate Riding Machine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 2:28 pm

Re: Helmet Decision

I use and recommend a Nolan N-Com helmet.

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #3 of 14 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 3:16 pm

Check out the new, HJC Symax II. Just got one and I love it. I'm going to install my own speakers or use in ear speakers, Etymotic most likely.

BTW, lots has been said about color of gear, especially, helmets. I only purchase solid white helmets. Most will say this increases your visibility by about 25%. Gray, silver or any other dark, muted colors look too much like pavement and guardrails to me.

Of course this is JMHO.

post #4 of 14 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 5:17 pm

+1 on the Symax 2. J&M speakers fit perfectly.
post #5 of 14 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 7:22 pm

We have 3 Nolan 102C's, and I am hoping to order a GMax44 modular as soon as they become available. The Nolan just does not allow use of a balaclava or doo rag.....otherwise, fits perfectly. I bought a much larger size Nolan for colder temp riding, and it was tighter than what I now use, without adding the balaclava. We use the Cardo Q2 COM, and pretty pleased with that system.
post #6 of 14 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 8:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UL2MIT
Hi all,

I am finally ready to get myself a substantial helmet but not sure which to buy. I currently have a GMAX brand helmet but would like something that better matches the style of my bike ('08 R1200RT-sand beige). I've given up on trying to find a color to match so I've decided to go with silver. I was hoping you could offer some suggestions. I think I'd like a modular. Also, I'd like to add a communication system to use my cell phone, zumo gps, and listen to music but am uncertain as to what kind to buy and whether I should get BlueTooth or wired. Any suggestions?
Helmet selection usually is a personal thing involving the shape of an individual's head, style/type of coverage and/or protection desired, and features of the helmet itself. What fits/works for me may not for you. For me...I've owned both Nolan and Shoei modular helmets and both work for me.

As far as a comm system for your helmet, I have used and can recommend both Ed Sets and J&M.

regards
post #7 of 14 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 8:45 am

I have a Nolan N102 and "like" it
I'll try on a HJC next time as the Nolan tinted visor is outside and doesn't allow riding w/ the tinted visor down and clear face shield up, HJC does.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #8 of 14 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 9:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
Helmet selection usually is a personal thing involving the shape of an individual's head, style/type of coverage and/or protection desired, and features of the helmet itself. What fits/works for me may not for you. For me...I've owned both Nolan and Shoei modular helmets and both work for me.
+1 on the head shape. I have a Nolan N-102 and it fits me really well. I have an oval shaped melon and it fits on the front, back and both sides all the same. I tried on different makes and some were snug on the front and back but loose on the sides.
Your best bet is to go shopping at the bike shop and try on different helmets, do not worry about color, and see which one fits YOUR head and then find the right color or ask them to order one.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #9 of 14 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 10:11 am

I hate to agree with Bones :P, but he's right about going to the store and trying a bunch on. BUT, don't just put it on and take it off for a fitment test, wear it for at least an hour as that when you'll find the hotspots the helmet might develop. JM2CW

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #10 of 14 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 10:59 am

+1 to all the above... wearing N102's with BT here.. still need to facilitate getting my home theatre setup in it . I like the flexibility of having the chin piece down or up... and being able to position the visor... and tinted visor separately though the post about clear must be down for tinted to be down is true.. I like having the tinted visor down partially like a ball cap.. helps keep the glare down mid afternoon/am.

Asleepless
knight
'03 LTE Titan Silver - Active Duty
'83 VF750F Interceptor White/Red - Retired
'74 MT250 Elsinore Silver - RIP
'72 SL125 Silver - RIP

BMWMOA #143933

post #11 of 14 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 3:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
I hate to agree with Bones :
O'h no you don't! You just like to argue!

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #12 of 14 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 2:03 pm

I think Nolan has a N103 shipping soon.

Does anyone have experience with http://www.vcansports.com/blinc.html
post #13 of 14 Old Oct 4th, 2008, 8:04 am

Completely agree with the others on making sure that the helmet shape fits your head. I too have the sand-beige RT ('07 model) and luckily found that the new Arai Vector fit my head perfectly. Tried them all on at BMW Atl in Marietta. I also went through MANY other helmets (HJC, ICON, SHOEI, ...) but came back to the Arai as it just seemed to be the perfect fit.

So, here's a picture of the helmet I ended up with. And guess what? the sand brown in the helmet matches the bike almost perfectly! Also, as it's a white helmet, it provides much better visibility that black or even silver.

I'm in Kennesaw if you'd like to see it in person.

regards,
martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arai-vector-contrast-white.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	19869  
post #14 of 14 Old Oct 4th, 2008, 8:56 am

Don't be fooled about the Nolan N-com Bluetooth being the end all with wires. It's cool for sure.. pilot and rider wireless intercom is very cool.. and with both using BT cellphones makes for expanded flexibility there. But dont expect to have both bt phone and devices affiliated at the same time... need to use the basic kit wired ports for gps, mp3...

Asleepless
knight
'03 LTE Titan Silver - Active Duty
'83 VF750F Interceptor White/Red - Retired
'74 MT250 Elsinore Silver - RIP
'72 SL125 Silver - RIP

BMWMOA #143933

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in