Rain Gear - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 7:11 pm Thread Starter

Rain Gear

What do you guys recommend for rain gear?
I'm thinking the jump suit type would give you the most protection in a heavy downpour (along with waterproof gloves and boots). I've had some people tell me that all you need is a Stearns Drywear jacket and pants for around 30 bucks.
I question if that would be enough protection.
Any tips would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 8:28 pm

Re: Rain Gear

Check out my web site for the finest rainsuit on the market or better yet take a ride up to Watkins Glen, NY for the BMW Finger Lakes region rally and see for yourself......I'll be there through Sunday.
www.nickplenzickenterprises.com
post #3 of 10 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 7:17 am

Just try putting a jumpsuit over your wet clothes on the side of the road without dragging the top part in the mud......

Waterproof textiles (Aerostich or other brands) are great since you don't have to stop to put on the rain gear. On the other hand, they are usually hot in hot weather.

After several other items, I have settled on Frogg Toggs, frog eyes made for motorcyclists.

post #4 of 10 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 7:54 am

I have two sets of rain gear/waterproof clothing. If I know I'm going to ride in the rain I wear my Aerostich. For those days where it might rain I pack a Frogg Togg suit. The only thing with the Frogg Toggs is that your butt will get wet by the end of the day unless you are using Bead Riders or something similar. There are a lot of different models of Frogg Toggs. I recent bought the Leep Frogg model and I've been happy with it. It's cheaper then the motorcycle specific one.

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #5 of 10 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 3:54 pm

Agree that the one-piece is ideal if you get it on before you get wet or don't have your boots on. I prefer the 2 piece myself and use the First Gear Sentinal jacket and pants. They're reasonably priced and do keep me dry. The ones listed above I don't know about; but really sound interesting.
post #6 of 10 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 5:21 pm

I use BMW 2-piece rainsuit
On cool summer mornings out on the road, I use the top to keep a little warmer in my perf. gear.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 7:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1635SMR
What do you guys recommend for rain gear?
I've tried a bunch of stuff.

I've started out with a full rainsuit over a leather jacket and riding pants, which I've worn during El Nino downpours, works great but it's hot and a pain to get into and out of. I'd rate this the worst of all options.

I then got a textile jacket that was also waterproof. This is really convenient for light or intermittent rain, just zip up the vents and keep riding. There's a liner for when it gets cold. For the pants I got a pair of lightweight rain pants from Sierra Design and put them over my riding pants when necessary. More often I just let my legs get wet, in light rain it's not so bad. This was a good compromise for me and I used it for 10 years.

Now I've got a BMW Comfort Shell suit. It's living up to my expectations as a single suit for all conditions. I've worn it in temperatures from 48 degrees to 99 degrees and in the rain, all with just a T-shirt and underwear beneath it. ...sure makes packing for a trip a lot easier! A single suit that works for anything/everything is very nice.
post #8 of 10 Old Aug 30th, 2008, 10:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafidebob
I've tried a bunch of stuff.

I've started out with a full rainsuit over a leather jacket and riding pants, which I've worn during El Nino downpours, works great but it's hot and a pain to get into and out of. I'd rate this the worst of all options.

I then got a textile jacket that was also waterproof. This is really convenient for light or intermittent rain, just zip up the vents and keep riding. There's a liner for when it gets cold. For the pants I got a pair of lightweight rain pants from Sierra Design and put them over my riding pants when necessary. More often I just let my legs get wet, in light rain it's not so bad. This was a good compromise for me and I used it for 10 years.

Now I've got a BMW Comfort Shell suit. It's living up to my expectations as a single suit for all conditions. I've worn it in temperatures from 48 degrees to 99 degrees and in the rain, all with just a T-shirt and underwear beneath it. ...sure makes packing for a trip a lot easier! A single suit that works for anything/everything is very nice.
+1 on the BMW Comfort Shell. It eliminates the need to carry separate rain gear, is breathable and I've stayed completely dry in all day downpours. Finally, I don't need to watch the rain fronts and calculate the last moment when I need to pull over and put in a liner or put on a suit (which is usually done in the rain, making the task twice as difficult).

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #9 of 10 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 8:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerbiker
+1 on the BMW Comfort Shell. It eliminates the need to carry separate rain gear, is breathable and I've stayed completely dry in all day downpours. Finally, I don't need to watch the rain fronts and calculate the last moment when I need to pull over and put in a liner or put on a suit (which is usually done in the rain, making the task twice as difficult).
Thanks,
I checked the comfort shell out. They look great but the aren't cheap (inexpensive, that is).

BC
MOA 144103

1971 Yahama 250 (Yep that's an old two cycle street bike)
1972 Yamaha 350 (also a 2 cycle street)

1973 Yamaha 750
1983 Honda Shadow 500
2005 BMW 1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 10:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1635SMRI
checked the comfort shell out. They look great but the aren't cheap (inexpensive, that is).
You got that right! I was only able to justify it by rationalizing that it'll replace 3 sets of gear. Also I think the styling could be better, but it's grown on me. The neon blue color looks better after it fades a bit, or maybe it's just covered with dust and bugs, either way it mutes with age.

The fabric is really amazing. I expect to see more manufacturers making riding gear from this stuff in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in