LQQKing for riding gear that fits - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 9:38 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Question LQQKing for riding gear that fits

This message is going out to those who have found, and enjoy, quality touring gear that really fits. We're tired of wearing the same old rags.

For our "three season" gear we use First Gear Goretex overpants. They are 3.5 years old and the stitching is giving out. Pauline is great at putting them back together, but it is time to get something new. Here's the problem: Most everything has a unisex cut to it. We need to have more options than L to XXL. Anyone out there having better luck than we have had?

Our "three season" jackets are Cycloak. They have served very well. Water proofing is good and pockets are great for storing all we need while traveling. We would replacing them if we could find a good matching set of Jackets and Pants.

Now, what say the panel of experts? We are looking for "form" as well as "function." We are concerned with the cost/value second to the fit. Riding the best bike deserves the best fitting gear.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 10:21 pm

Thumbs up

I ordered the "Union Ridge" 2 pce from Gerbings in 2002 and have used it regularly since then. It is a great combination and they fit like a glove. I would highly recommend them. The bonus for you is that it's a nice drive to their place and they can take some very exacting measurements.
Added bonus - they don't make you look like a "biker"
post #3 of 11 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 10:24 pm

Garage
Ernie,

For the past twenty years, we have used the Aerostich products both for their performance and value. I have had three Aerostich Roadcrafters in that time and my first suit is still useable albeit somewhat faded. I've had one two piece, and two one piece suits. Today we both prefer the simplicity of the one piece Aerostich Roadcrafter after having the two piece Roadcrafters up until 1999. Combined with synthetic (long sleeves and legs in winter) underwear the Roadcrafter is comfortable from 35 to about 90 degrees. The suit is almost 100% waterproof on the LT, but leaks at the crotch and around the neck after about 45 minutes on an unfaired bike in heavy rain. The Aerostich product is heavy duty protection and offers optional (removable) back and hip protectors. Their suits take a little getting used to, but once your accustomed to the fit it is very hard to go back. The overall quality is exceptional and the company can do alterations, custom fitting, and repairs at its factory in Duluth Minnesota, which is a huge benefit , as their suits last a very long time. They are available factory direct only.

Check out their web site at www.aerostich.com

Hope this helps,

Patrick.

post #4 of 11 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 9:45 am

Gear that fits

I went through this dillema myself not long ago, my wife and I wanted to upgrade our gear, we are at opposite ends of the sizing charts (xxl & xs)
Although I am impressed with most everything I have heard about Aerostitch if you order custom sizing its yours, she wanted to try things on first.
Someone steered us to Cyclegear and even though they didn't have what we wanted on the rack, they ordered it and it was there just a couple of days later, one of us fit the other didn't they reordered and again 2-3 days later it was there.
We went with the First Gear Kilimanjaro 111 which is a reasonably priced and well thought out product.
I could have saved $20 each by ordering it online, but one return shipping would have eaten that up, also some of the online vendors charge a 10% restocking fee.

her's a few links.

http://www.cyclegear.com/stores/location_fl.cfm
http://www.motorcyclegearreview.com/
http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcyc...e-clothing.htm

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #5 of 11 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 8:35 am

I have the Stich Darien Jacket and Pants. I just bought the Belstaff Mercury Jacket for myslef and the wife. I really like the fit of the Belstaff Jacket but not their pants. My wofe like both the Jacket and Pants. My only complaint with the Stich is that you know you are waering it. I ahve about 5K miles on it and still very stiff and heavy. And If I wear a fleece under it the left shoulder pad gets all out of whack. I love the pants and how they fit though. I can wear dress pants under them or jeans. I will probably sell the Darien once I take the Belstaff for a long ride. I bought the Belstaff at the NYC MC show this past weekend and they were shipping them to me this week. I also bought a pair of winter gloves from Belstaff that are great. I rode Sunday in 30 degree weather adn my hands were warm without the heated grips on. Just my nickle.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #6 of 11 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 9:10 am

Wink What every BMW rider should wear!

IMHO, if it has BMW's little on it . . . you can be assured that it's going to be well-made, comfortable, and incredibly functional. I love both of my BMW jackets, my BMW pants, and my BMW heated vest. And their summer rain gloves are simply unmatched by any others I've ever owned. Their gear is pricey, but worth it.

FWIW, I haven't found an inexpensive piece of gear yet that really works well. Except for my FieldSheer one-piece. But I lucked out and found an online close-out on that one. ($199, and free shipping!)
post #7 of 11 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 10:13 am

After spending lots of $$$ trying to find the perfect riding gear, I've found that you usually get what you pay for. Last year I purchased BMW's Santiago suit have been truly impressed. It uses state-of-the-art materials and the fit and finish is unbelievable. BMW has always been at the forefront in using these high-tech materials. It's been through the heat (Texas here), snow, rain, you name it and has been comfy and protective in every situation. It's holding up great to boot. I'm 6'4" so I have problems finding gear that is long enough in the legs and sleeves and BMW makes tall sizes so I thought I'd give them a try. I'll never buy from another make again. It's 'spensive but worth every penny.

Jacques
Dallas, TX USA
'05 K1200LT - '02 Suzuki V-Strom
post #8 of 11 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 10:44 am

Iíve found that Cycle Portís Kevlar air mesh gear is outstanding protection and a custom fit (itís all made to order). http://www.motoport.com/
With the Gore Tex liner it perfect year round.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #9 of 11 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 10:47 am

First gear

I would have to agree that BMW makes some very nice and very pricey gear and we would have probably gone with that if there was some around for us to try on, I went to 3 different BMW shops down here in Florida and all they really had on their racks was mesh gear and not much else.
We've had our First gear Kilimanjaro 3 jackets a couple of months now and have worn them in a temperature range from 50 to 80 degrees through the brutal Florida winter, I like the jacket more everytime I wear it, haven't needed the vest's on under them yet and I don't need to remove the liner until it gets 75 or over. For under $300 each I'm a happy customer and would buy them again.
just my 2 cents worth.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #10 of 11 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 4:11 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the feedback

I've been reading for a couple weeks and searching online for the items you all have mentioned. Thanks again for your feedback. Now we have to find some items and try them on for size. The problem is the fact that many dealers carry the "most popular" sizes and anything else is "special order." I'm hoping to be able to cut through the threat of paying for the wrong size, and re-order again. A trip up to Union Washington is in order for sure. Gerbing is a very well respected garment manufacturer and will get a serious look from us. BMW gear is great, if you can get the right size the first time. I'm not so worried about myself in this situation, however I'm very concerned for buying for my wife. The quandary is buying for a "short-waisted" petite woman in a size 10.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #11 of 11 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 10:05 pm

I have been riding with the Belstaff Mercury Jacket and the Pioneer Pants since CCR in WY and bought the same for the wife at the NYC show. Good from 80F down to 45F as is, need light thermals to get down to 30F. See www.britishmotorcyclegear.com for details on all the high tech materials for safety that you get for a reasonable price.

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in