Rain Gear, Not Frogg Toggs - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Aug 7th, 2008, 9:20 am Thread Starter

Exclamation Rain Gear, Not Frogg Toggs

I have a set of Frogg Toggs and need to buy something similar for the SO. I've been hearing bad things about the current Frogg Toggs that are being sold and was wondering if anyone had found something similar that was just as good.

I need something that will pack up nice and small.

If I can't get a two piece set I'll settle for a jacket. I've got extra pants she can use.

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Aug 7th, 2008, 9:29 am

Re: Rain Gear, Not Frogg Toggs

I use a light weight set of BMW rain gear.
packs very small and on long summer trips I wear it over my mesh gear on cool mornings.....

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old Aug 7th, 2008, 6:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab1967
I have a set of Frogg Toggs and need to buy something similar for the SO. I've been hearing bad things about the current Frogg Toggs that are being sold and was wondering if anyone had found something similar that was just as good.

I need something that will pack up nice and small.

If I can't get a two piece set I'll settle for a jacket. I've got extra pants she can use.
I've used and like Frogg Toggs except for the ballooning of the jacket. I recently bought the BMW Pro Rain Suit which has kept me dry. Surprisingly it cost me about $95, which is perhaps the only BMW gear that I thought was a relative bargain. It has kept me dry in heavy downpours but it can get hot and a little sticky. It doesn't "breathe" as well as the Frogg Toggs.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 Old Aug 7th, 2008, 7:01 pm

I am a First Gear Fan.I have many miles riding in strong storms without a drop water inside.
post #5 of 16 Old Aug 7th, 2008, 8:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab1967
I have a set of Frogg Toggs and need to buy something similar for the SO. I've been hearing bad things about the current Frogg Toggs that are being sold

Was wondering what kind of bad things you have heard. Have used Frogg Toggs for years and always liked them. Picked up a couple new pair of pants from them this past winter with the reflective piping on them. My wife got her first chance to use hers tonight when we got caught in a real downpour. Her pants under the Toggs are soaked! Mine were Ok, but I get a lot more protection from the fairings. Is this the kind of thing you've heard? Figure its time to write a letter to them.

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster
post #6 of 16 Old Aug 7th, 2008, 9:08 pm
Gold Supporter

What bad things have you heard about F T

I have never heard anyone say anything other than the jacket makes you look like the Michelin Man.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #7 of 16 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 6:38 am

Same question: I've heard nothing particulrly negative. Been using a set I bought at Bass Pro shop for probably around 7 years. The only water that gets in on mine is at the neck where it's a bit loose.

I noticed the other day that they make a set specifically for riding now. They look heavier. Anyone use the new ones?
post #8 of 16 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 7:21 am Thread Starter

I've had a set of Frogg Toggs for about 5 years and have had no problems with them. I carry them for those days when you get the "Chance of Rain" for the weather forecasters.

When I first started this thread I had just finished a google search for Frogg Toggs and checked out several vendors that had feed back from customers. The comments I was reading were saying that the seam were coming apart after just a few uses, fittings were coming off and the suit was not as water proof as it should be, or words to that effect.
This was from more then one person on more then one site, hence the thread.

I don't remember which vendors, or which model of suit I was looking at on the web. I also called a vendor that was recommend by members on this forum and he told me that he didn't carry them due to the same concerns. (If you would like his name PM me).

I was thinking that since Frogg Toggs has expanded as much as it has the quality control may have gone down from when I bought my first set.

After posting this thread I kept digging. I found two different models of Frogg Toggs that had good reviews, Road Toad and Leep Frogg. both have reflective piping and some of the reviews were from fellow riders. They had good things to same about them.

Hoping that the quality control has improved and needing something quick I ordered a set of Leep Frogg's off of Ebay. If I use them on the trip I'm going on next week I'll update this thread with my impressions.

Update: One of the vendors with negative comments was Bass Pro Shop. The suit model is Signature Bull Frogg Rain Suit

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell

Last edited by rab1967; Aug 8th, 2008 at 7:32 am.
post #9 of 16 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 7:46 am

Firstgear and Harley-Davidson make great rain gear. I have a HD rain suit that is almost 10 years old now and doesn't leak. Plus its has reflectors on it and is bright orange.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #10 of 16 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 2:23 pm

Per my post above, I sent an email to Frogg Toggs last night about the problem I was having with the leakage thru the side seams where the reflective piping is attached. Got a reply this morning apologizing for the inconvenience and telling me to give them a call to get a return authorization.

Called them and told them I didn't have the receipt and they said thats not a problem. Just send them back and they'll make good on it. Sent them off today. They were very accommodating on the phone without any hesitation to take them back and replace them. Really like it when a company steps up and takes care of a problem without any hassels.

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster
post #11 of 16 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 5:10 pm

Are these suites still being made in Guntersville, Alabama or south of the border?

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #12 of 16 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 7:05 pm

Anybody ever try wearing Frog Togs under mesh armor type jacket and pants?
post #13 of 16 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 7:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprdoorman
Was wondering what kind of bad things you have heard. Have used Frogg Toggs for years and always liked them. Picked up a couple new pair of pants from them this past winter with the reflective piping on them. My wife got her first chance to use hers tonight when we got caught in a real downpour. Her pants under the Toggs are soaked! Mine were Ok, but I get a lot more protection from the fairings. Is this the kind of thing you've heard? Figure its time to write a letter to them.
Carl,
I was dry as a bone in my Toggs last night through that frog chokker until a Hummer passed me and threw up so much water it went into my low commuter boots!

Never thought I'd be doing 35 mph on I-480!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #14 of 16 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 9:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
Are these suites still being made in Guntersville, Alabama or south of the border?
They are now made in Arab, Alabama. They moved from their previous location.

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster
post #15 of 16 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 9:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Carl,
I was dry as a bone in my Toggs last night through that frog chokker until a Hummer passed me and threw up so much water it went into my low commuter boots!

Never thought I'd be doing 35 mph on I-480!
Rosemary and I rode back on the shoreway. Big mistake. The gusts of wind and water coming off of Lake Erie were terrible. Had to pull off at W. 6th and take it slow thru downtown till it calmed down a bit. I've always been real happy with my Toggs, but these definately leaked. Only the outer parts of her pants were soaked - right along the seams. In hindsight, we probably should have just stayed at the pavilion and waited for the storm to pass.

Have a pair of the Oxtar Air Tech boots. Never rode with them in the rain and was surprised that they didn't leak a drop.

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster
post #16 of 16 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 9:30 pm
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcockrum
Anybody ever try wearing Frog Togs under mesh armor type jacket and pants?
I use the Fogg Toggs because they are loose enough to fit over all that stuff. I don't have to stand under the bridge and take off all my stuff to get rain gear on under it.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in