Nolan N102 vs. HJC Symax & Symax2 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 10:17 am Thread Starter

Cool Nolan N102 vs. HJC Symax & Symax2

My HJC Symax is ready for retirement. I was just wondering if any of you had experience with the Nolan N102 helmet? I'm heavily leaning to that or another HJC (Symax2), but would like to hear from the group regarding noise between the two models.

Opinions please?

Mike Gunderson
'02 Champaign LTC
Davis, IL USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 3:46 pm

Re: Nolan N102 vs. HJC Symax & Symax2

We bought four Nolan 102C's, one was a 3/4 helmet. Having only compared to a few others in the store, one of which I can not recall the name which I used for a day and returned due to terrible noise and quality.

I love the function of the 102's, especially if you wear glasses. The helmet noise is much worse with the visor closed. Since I like to ride with it up, I (unlike anyone else I know of), I do experience eye pain from the air hitting me and intend to get some goggles in the next week or so. We have Cardo Q2's installed on each helmet.

The only other issue is I should have bought the longer version, which I did not know existed, until after I had bought this and then complained there was no room for the mic inside the helmet. That helmet is about another $100, and would have bought it, had I known better. Don't have the model # handy at the moment, and no one else knew about it when I asked, before I bought.

I also bought as recommended to fit. Having worn this now for 5k miles, I would and should have gone one size larger.

Other than my 1979 full face Bell Star, this is the next best helmet I have used. I also recommend their full dark shield.
post #3 of 16 Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 5:43 pm

Garage

The 102 is a good helmet but has it's flaws. The caps over the visor fall off constant. The stupid sunvisor is useless once you crack open the visor for some air.

The Symax is cheaper and just as good.

FWIW, Someone was telling me a helmet maker actually used their brains and put teh visor into the helmet.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #4 of 16 Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 8:42 pm

Not to hijack, but has anyone tried the Nolan N103? It has a internal sun visor.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #5 of 16 Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 9:40 pm

Garage

This guy on the advrider forum did care for it..

At least they put the visor in the right place.

I wonder if it moves for riding at night.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #6 of 16 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 1:41 am

Garage

I have the Nolan Ncom N102. I have not had many helmets in my life, but as far as a helmet goes, its okay. The comments about no room for a mic are correct and because you are limited with headset choices when using a BMW comm system, putting the flip-up front down is a pain requiring two hands with the J&M headset mic.

During the warmer months, I have to run with the visor open a crack to get some amount of air to flow in.

I must say that the anti-fog liner for the visor works great.
post #7 of 16 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 4:32 pm

If you're comfortable in the SyMax you might want to try out the Nolan for as long as you can get by with at the dealer's store. They're VERY different shapes internally. It's hard to imagine that a properly fitted Nolan N102 and a properly fitted SyMax would fit the same head.
post #8 of 16 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 5:06 pm

I have an N102 and love it
(except for the visor on the outside instead of inside)
I would buy the N103 in a hot second and can't wait until it's time to replace my 102.....................

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #9 of 16 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 9:02 pm

The Symax2 is great. Love the retractable internal visor... and the price was reasonable. I never close the outer shield unless it's raining. The J&M's fit perfectly, too.
post #10 of 16 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 6:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
This guy on the advrider forum did care for it..

At least they put the visor in the right place.

I wonder if it moves for riding at night.
That's a N-103.
They make a yellow inner shield that works great at night.

Wayne

2006 K1200GT Blue

2008 F800ST Blue (Hers)
2006 R1200RT Red (Traded)
1999 K1200LT Champaign (Sold)
1985 K100LT Baja Red (Sold and
)
post #11 of 16 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 11:33 am

I have a Nolan 102 (my first flip face) and I have only been marginally impressed. The fit is not great for me after the first 30 minutes, the noise level is much higher than my Shoei full face, and the sun visor flips down when I raise the windscreen. I am really sold on the flip front idea however, and tried on the HJC the other day, I think it might be my next lid, especially since I can't find anyone in town with the Shoei flip face to try on.
post #12 of 16 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 2:49 pm

I just switched from the Symax to the new Symax II. The II is noisier than its predicessor. Also noticed that they fit differently, with the biggest problem for me being the chin piece rubbing on the tip of my chin, where the 1 did not. I find that very irritating, especially on a hot day.
The sun visor is a 50/50 deal. If you have the sun visor down, but the shield up, the wind whips under the visor and costs you vision. There is also a visible line at the bottom of the visor. It's a little uncomfortable until you get used to it. The advantage is that you can just tip your eyes downward and see beneath the visor, when looking at gauges ect.
The areodynamics are great. My HD has no windshield, and they've done a good job at stopping the side to side shake and the up lift even over 100 MPH. That was nice.
I guess for me the chin thing is the worst. You'll have to try it out just to make sure. Seemed like the XL in the II is smaller than the XL I had before (still have).
Hope that helps a little.
post #13 of 16 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 7:18 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The Symax to SymaxII sizing is quite different. The Symax was XXL and I had to carve foam out of the forehead and it still hurt and the cheeks were too loose. Added different size cheek pads then it was OK.

Symax II out of the box, XXL, fit perfectly on the forehead and tight on the cheeks. Very light helmet with low noise. I found the chin area to be a bit closer to my chin than I would like but still very comfortable. Good air flow also.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #14 of 16 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 5:17 pm

I also found teh Symaz II to be sized different, I normally wear a medium with HJC, but had to get a large with the symax II

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

post #15 of 16 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 5:50 pm

I have the HJC with the built in sun visor and it is great. It goes down easily and pops up out of the way with the touch of a button.

Have a great ride,

David
Dallas, TX
2006 K1200GT
BMWMOA 142756
post #16 of 16 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 9:54 pm

Wink Re: Nolan N102 vs. HJC Symax & Symax2

I just went from the Sy-Max to the new Sy-Max II with the internal sunvisor and love it! It does seem just a little tighter than the Sy-Max was, but the main area I noticed was the cheek pads. I just used it on a 600 mile ride and it feels lighter and just as quiet as the Sy-Max was, so I am a happy customer!

I did need to make a little more room in the sides for my J&M speakers while the original Sy-Max had tons of room for the speakers with no cutting needed. When I first put the speakers in the new one and went for a short ride I found my ears were just being pressed enough by the speakers to cause a problem on a longer trip, so I did some cutting on the foam behind the ear pads. Works fine now.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in